FOF And Firehawk Cameras

pianoman

Likely lack of sales. It was common practice to remove them before Funpix. Boo Blasters, AE, Backlot, and Invertigo had them in the past as well

I don't ever remember cameras on Invertigo. Even when it was still Face Off. I probably just never noticed.

• Like 1

Likely lack of sales. It was common practice to remove them before Funpix. Boo Blasters, AE, Backlot, and Invertigo had them in the past as well

I don't ever remember cameras on Invertigo. Even when it was still Face Off. I probably just never noticed.

I'm pretty sure the photo booth was in a trailer.  The photo was inbetween the loop and the boomerang IIRC.

• Like 1

I don't ever remember cameras on Invertigo. Even when it was still Face Off. I probably just never noticed.

I'm pretty sure the photo booth was in a trailer. The photo was inbetween the loop and the boomerang IIRC.
Either that or between the loop and the second hill. It was only for a season or two. I remember it being kind of neat looking with cameras facing both directions.

I do wonder what the running cost was for those to warrant removal if they didn't sell well.

They have some good power usage after an entire day I'm sure with a bulb that fast.

It's not so much the electricity as it is the labor cost. It should also be noted that cameras are often recycled. For example, Banshee uses some of the old Son of Beast cameras.
  • Like 2

Maybe they might have sold more photos if they didn't charge a fortune for them.

Possibly but the main reason I never purchased one was what was I going to do with it? Let it get ruined carrying it around all day? Buy a locker? Run it out to the car to bake and get distorted? They just seemed impractical to me. The current system is a giant step in the right direction, if I want a higher quality photo I can order it online and have it delivered.

If I were to design a system from the ground up it would involve ordering kiosks only and a central QC hub with a couple of associates to edit out the bird flippers or whatever.

• Like 1

Maybe they might have sold more photos if they didn't charge a fortune for them.

That probably has a lot to do with the pricing restructure (Funpix).  People saw the value in printed photos until the age of social media when digital photos became much more valuable.  I bought Funpix from KI just for the novelty, but I have to admit- when myself and several of my friends (one being from another part of the country) went to Cedar Point we bought the 1 day Funpix for $29.99 and we really couldn't have gotten a better deal with how much we used it.  Then again, Cedar Point's Funpix is lightyears ahead of KI's.  Kings Island's always seem to be kind of blurry, at bad angles, and difficult to find in the terminals.  Cedar Point's are very clear and looked much more professional.

Examples:

Kings Island

amazingphoto24235r.jpg

Cedar Point

Magnum.jpg

• Like 4

Wow.  That image from Magnum is of superior quality compared to the ones at KI.  I too wish that a few more coasters at KI had on ride photos.  I renewed my pass to a Gold Pass for 2017, and included Funpix on it.  I imagine Mystic Timbers will have an on ride photo.  Hopefully they don`t remove an on-ride photo from another ride.  The Funpix program is really a good deal.  And, in 2017, if you have a Platinum Pass, it is valid at all Cedar Fair parks.

Agree some are better at CP but have never been thrilled with TTD photos, then again it is moving a tad faster. :)

Keep in mind the digital photos they provide are 300dpi, but if you order a print they use a 600dpi source.

I would have the Associate at the Diamondback photo booth add my photo to my account that way the photo could be adjusted. I'm looking forward to my account working at all parks with Funpix in 2017.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So if you use the associate vs. the kiosk they can do some editing/centering?

I never saw a camera on FOF, since I started returning to the park, so I can not comment on that one.  I did have a hard time thinking that Firehawk did not sell well.  That is the camera I really miss, as a lot of first time riders were really scared (myself included).  I really miss that camera.

I suspect it was something to do with Funpix and only having a certain amount of cameras.  I hope that I am wrong and that the Firehawk one gets added back.  I can definitely see one getting added to Mystic Timbers.

I tried using the self serve kiosks at the beginning and end of the season.  They tended to cut off incorrectly.  The rest of the time I went to the operator and they would adjust them correctly.

Other than adding back in camera, I would like to see them scramble the screens somehow so that they could not be taken with a cell phone.  Also, move the screens to a place opposite the operator table (see Firehawk), if possible.

As far as FunPix......CP the associates cannot adjust some photos, i.e. Millennium Force. I've tried to get 4 people in the picture and 1/2 of the picture is cut off or the boarder is completely in the way.

Note--- FunPix isn't valid at ALL CF parks next season, but many more than 2016. 

Note--- You can adjust most of your pictures on the FunPix website if you forget to do it at the park.

I love the ability to download and print photos from FunPix. I had Shutterfly print over 100 pictures and paid $11 for that. Pretty sweet! Now just to get an album.

• Like 2

<Magnum on-ride photo>

Is that... is that... a FULL CAR PHOTO? I've never even considered purchasing an on-ride photo at Cedar Point because they were money-grabbing by taking a separate photo for every ROW on most of the coasters (excluding TTD), rather than a single photo per car like KI does. However, I haven't been to Cedar Point since 2014, so if they've changed things since then, that's good.

I vaguely remember the FoF cameras being in use. I believe that was the 2007 season.

I remember the cameras being used up until 2011 at least, maybe even 2012. They stopped using them during Haunt of one of those seasons, came back for a few years the following year but then were completely removed after just a few weeks into the season.

<Magnum on-ride photo>

Is that... is that... a FULL CAR PHOTO? I've never even considered purchasing an on-ride photo at Cedar Point because they were money-grabbing by taking a separate photo for every ROW on most of the coasters (excluding TTD), rather than a single photo per car like KI does. However, I haven't been to Cedar Point since 2014, so if they've changed things since then, that's good.

Yes that is full car...some don't end up that way...but you can edit on the FunPix website.

• Like 1

To all saying the photos can be edited online or at the park - I am aware of this, but also these are both unedited images and the quality difference is very apparent.  Plus, no editing was needed with the Cedar Point photo.  It worked right the first time.

Sadly, regardless of whether the Kinzel Era is over or not, it's just more evidence that Kings Island is Cedar Point's [explicit].  The equipment is clearly new at CP while KI's clearly recycling old equipment.  They also have cameras at many, many, more locations.   (See also: Cedar Point consistently has a $25+ million in-park expenditure while Kings Island only gets one every half decade.)

• Like 2