Improving Que Lines

SonofBaconator

^ @KIBeast I too, remember standing for hours in line without anything to do but talk to each other.  When I was a teenager, me and a couple of my good friends would visit KI on a regular basis.  We'd stand in line and talk or whisper to each other while pointing out all the "hot" girls in line.  It was a blast! We didn't need TVs, or even cell phones, to keep busy.  It kind of saddens me to see a group of friends in line at KI and every single one of them has their face in their phone.  Half the fun of visiting KI was goofing around with your friends and all the topics of conversation you could have while in line.  Just a different time I guess.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

TVs= Company Advertisements

Company Advertisements= Easy Money for the park

Well, I wasn't just talking about the TVs.  I was also referring to the groups of teenagers now adays that stand in line together with their faces in their phones.  Mainly just making a point that 20 years ago, we didn't need electronics and media to keep us entertained in line.  We just enjoyed each other's company and conversation, while looking for other ways to keep entertained such as joking around and such. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Voicetek said:

Well, I wasn't just talking about the TVs.  I was also referring to the groups of teenagers now adays that stand in line together with their faces in their phones.  Mainly just making a point that 20 years ago, we didn't need electronics and media to keep us entertained in line.  We just enjoyed each other's company and conversation, while looking for other ways to keep entertained such as joking around and such. 

I wish I had a phone to look at when I was a kid to distract me from my irrational fear of roller coasters:D

My friends and I don't really look at our phones. We would roast each other in line, dance to whatever songs came over the pa, tell inside jokes and talk about other people we see in line. Good times

• Like 4

Some of the best memories I have are my friends and I out at KI in the summers.  We'd go up a lot on weekday evenings in the summer and since it wasn't too crowded, we'd run from ride to ride.  We'd joke, laugh, goof around.  There's nothing like growing up at KI and getting to enjoy it with your friends.  Good times.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Voicetek said:

I KI solo quite often.  Sometimes I'm on my phone a lot.  But I love the moments when I'm at the bottom of the steps in the MT queue and they call for singles. ;) I also love random conversations with strangers.

• Like 5

An evil technological breakthrough has been lurking around the queue lines of Kings Island. What is this awful, brainwashing breakthrough you may ask? FUN TV (*Insert evil, demonic voice).

Here are it's victims being brainwashed by it's horror:

image.jpeg

The AGONY!

image.jpeg

Fellow members of KIC, stay strong during this dark period of technological misery. Best of wishes! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I also understand that times have changed. Apparently, with those changes comes the FunTV to "entertain" people while in line. I admit that I watch a little. Mostly to catch the temperature and current weather conditions. On my trip to Cedar Point this year, on our 2nd day there, we did not have Fast Lane as it did not make sense as we would leave that day at 5:00 to head home. So, we get in line for Millennium Force, which was a 30 minute wait. My son (8 years old mind you) complained the entire time while in line as to how long we had to wait. I remember the first time I went to CP, which was 2000, when MF was brand spankin' new. My brother and I waited for an hour and a half to ride on both a Saturday and Sunday. We were extremely pleased at how short our wait was because both times when we exited, the sign said 3 hour wait. Now in his defense, at 8 years old, 30 minutes translates to 3 hours :lol:

• Like 3

I don't notice FunTV. Too busy on my phone. :)

Really, I'm a lot like @whengodsaysgo. I like having my phone to keep in contact with my husband and other friends to some extent while I'm at the park solo (and occasionally use it to meet up with friends at the park). I like having it for entertainment and information while in lines (although I'm spoiled by being able to go weekdays and rarely will wait for more than ten minutes for anything, I'd rather get in more steps than stand around).

But, actually, I often go well over an hour without even glancing at it when I'm in the park, because I'm paying attention to what is going on around me. I'm more engaged with my surroundings solo (with a phone) than I am when I'm with friends. 

When I'm with friends, we do tend to check our phones but often that results in topics for gossip or other conversation. It's not like we're ignoring each other because of it. 

• Like 5

I for one really miss the giant CRT TVs with a badly positioned plastic sheet over the front allowing the glare to cover 95% of the TV making it nigh on impossible to watch some some of the worst music videos I could think of from 10 years before.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, whengodsaysgo said:

I vaguely remember an announcement that would repeat in various queues in the Paramount days...

"Line jumping is not a sporting event at Paramount's Kings Island...."

I love to say that any time I see cutting in line.

I am so very very tempted to walk through the park asking for directions to Paramount named rides. "Excuse me, can you tell me where 'The Beastie' is?", "Pardon me, I am looking for 'Outer Limits', do you know where it is?"

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna say it, I wish the train ques were better. I want there to be a separate line for wheelchairs and groups with strollers. I feel so sorry for the people in the wheelchairs who have to wait at the exit where people are getting off before they can board. I know this is common practice on all the rides in the park but I think the train should be the exception. Also, there are families that fold up their strollers take them on the train with them. I don't have an issue with this, but it might be easier to load them first then everyone else. Just a thought. 

• Like 6

On 10/12/2017 at 3:35 PM, whengodsaysgo said:

I vaguely remember an announcement that would repeat in various queues in the Paramount days...

"Line jumping is not a sporting event at Paramount's Kings Island...."

I remember that! 

It was followed by you can be removed from the park and it had a couple of examples on what not to do! 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 10/26/2017 at 1:55 PM, chugh43 said:

On the topic of the train, I wish there was more seating on the platform and/or the area was expanded a bit....it's a bit cramped. More seating would be nice but not necessarily.

I wish the trains ran on time tables like at the Magic Kingdom instead of trying to cram every single person on one train. 

• Like 4

(Going back to the top of the page) I think I do a very good job at not being glued to my phone or the TVs when I'm in line. Can't miss any classic GP comments!:D

I've mentioned this before but I wish they would put nets between the gaps in the railings at WindSeeker. It would stop a lot of people from just hopping in line without getting a number, because it seems like everytime it's the seats my group has. It's really irritates me and gets on my nerves. It's one of my pet peeves I guess. I've sarcastically thanked someone for taking my seat before. 

• Like 2

On October 12, 2017 at 5:28 PM, beastfan11 said:

My favorite part about (most) visits to the park is leaving my phone in the car. 

I solo the park often. If it weren't for the fact that I get weak signal at the park, I'd be on it more often. The fun of KI for me isn't really the lines or crowds. That's just a necessary evil I have to deal with to enjoy the rides and theming, so I don't mind burying myself into a screen to ignore the embarrassing things people say and do. 

• Like 5

On 10/12/2017 at 5:28 PM, beastfan11 said:

My favorite part about (most) visits to the park is leaving my phone in the car. 

This!  Leaving the phone, the "outside world" for a few hours to run around a be a kid...you can't beat that. 

More shade.  More theme (cheap way to improve a ride).  Less FunTV.  More "no smoking" enforcement. 

• Like 6

This!  Leaving the phone, the "outside world" for a few hours to run around a be a kid...you can't beat that. 
More shade.  More theme (cheap way to improve a ride).  Less FunTV.  More "no smoking" enforcement. 

Also leave the cigs in the car. The whole park should be non smoking. The only thing worse than the park smelling like BO on a hot day is walking past the smoking areas and having to smell the giant ashtray.
  • Like 9

43 minutes ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

Less FunTV.  More "no smoking" enforcement. 

I seem to recall when I was a kid, the queue for The Beast had eerie, spooky music playing...chains rattling...am I imagining this? I really felt like it added to the ride. When I took my oldest boy on it for the first time, I was disappointed that it was missing. **Yes, I went on a very long KI hiatus from the time my first child was born until both of my older kids were old enough to go and enjoy it ;))

That would be so easy and cheap to add back in... 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd love to see some queue lines get some TLC. 

-I feel like BLSC's queue always feels so hot and sunny, even when you're there in the beginning of the season. Maybe if it was covered by something a little better that offers more shade. It could be easily themed to a city. 

-Beast's queue line is pitiful compared to Mystic Timbers. The signs are falling apart and so much of the wood looks dry rotten. Beef that line up! It could be so cool!

• Like 1

I've always thought the "old wood" look of the queue added to The Beast's wild monster charm in a B horror movie sort of way. Sometimes, while waiting for my train to pull back into the station, I'd notice a spider web haunting the final brake run and think, man, does that fit the theme. (HAMMER Presents The Beast!)

• Like 3