Things that KI can improve on

SonofBaconator

I just wish there was more consistent theming throughout the sections of the park. For example, I can't tell that Oktoberfest is anything remotely german-ey. Some of the rides that have theming need to be touched up desperately, like Boo Blasters or Adventure Express. I think Kings Island is really special, and some of the specialness isn't being showcased. Like I saw a picture recently of former paw prints that led to The Beast-- and I thought that was super cool. It's a small touch to showcase an attraction that no one else in the world has.

• Like 6

Apologies for the double post but this is an improvement that has been bugging me for a while. I always thought that the park could redo some scenery with some older rides to make it fit more. I'm talking mostly along the lines of the light package that was installed for Banshee back in 2014. The colors made the coaster pop and made it look even cooler at night. I wish the park administered that to some of the other coasters like The Bat, Firehawk, and maybe even Vortex.

Another thing is the que music. The coolest part about walking to Flight Deck was listening to the Transformers film score. Anymore it just seems less exciting than it used to be. I always wanted them to play the 1989 Batman Score. Same goes for Firehawk, it would be cool if they played Danger Zone and other fun tracks to get people pumped for the ride. 

The thing with the lights, is would it bring significant ridership to justify adding it to those rides? Does purchasing the lights as a priority outweigh other infrastructure and/or ride priorities? Do the lights really make someone (non enthusiast) want to ride it?

The thing with music is, copyright/rights. Do they purchase the rights or apply for use of that copyrighted material to put them near a ride? For each ride? Not to mention, Batman/Danger Zone/Transformers/etc. are all part of franchises.....some owned by competitors. The same questions as above can apply, does it bring significant ridership to justify adding it? Does the cost of adding the music as a priority outweigh other priorities? Does music really make someone (non enthusiast) want to ride it? Would adding it, make FunTV go away? They've done an amazing job with the programming for it, they've spent a pretty penny especially through Corporate at KI to add a FunTV operation center on the parks property that does all of the programming for all Cedar Fair parks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for some great improvements, especially lighting and changing music around the park, but I don't see that as a priority. 

• Like 1

I see what you're saying but I have a couple of friends who really like Banshees lights and I'm sure they're not the only non-enthusiasts that do. I highly doubt that Delirium's 2014 repaint saw any drastic increase in ridership so really there was no necessary need to repaint it, it just looks nicer now. I'm not saying that ridership will skyrocket if lights were added but they do look nice and the general public does take notice of that type of stuff. 

• Like 1

It's been a while since I've been here, or posted, but I'm going to try to check KIC more regularly as opening day approaches. 

The Biggest thing I think KI can improve on is the service at Reds Hall of Fame Grille. Past experiences here have been so bad with regards to the service, it is not really an option for me anymore. And that's a shame because the restaurant is beautiful, in a great location, and has pretty good food! I think they need to hire experienced restaurant staff (or outsource the management of this place to a restaurant management company). Not 100% sure but it sure seems like they hire young people to work at KI and throw some of them into server roles here and they just aren't cut out for a busy fast paced restaurant work environment. Also it doesn't seem like the managers have the restaurant experience either to properly support the servers, cooks, etc. 

Also, make the bar at the restaurant full service not just beer. Really think this place has a lot of potential. If they got the service part down it would be awesome! 

• Like 3

I've always thought that KI should really try and come up with some sort of "signature" food item. I know we have blue ice cream, but outside of that, its typical hot dogs, skyline, pizza, chicken, etc.....I think it'd be really cool to have a "Beast Burger" or a "Diamondback Dog" or whatever....I also think having signature drinks over at the bars in Soak City would be cool to. Park themed drinks based off of the color of rides. "Diamond Back Bite", "Banshee Scream", etc

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Now that I have kids and all, for the love of Woodies, make more family restrooms. There is one that I know of which is at the entrance. I'd also like to see family restrooms include a child sized toilet. My daughter is just now learning how to use the potty, and she get scared of the giant toilet and it's super loud flushing, so she doesn't want to go, and tries to hold it and usually fails.

In grand scheme terms, I love to see them cover the parking lot in solar panels. Maybe not the whole lot cause it is massive, but some of the lesser used areas could be put to good use. Hell even a wind turbine would be good. The lot being as big as it is lessens the risk of turbulent air and a turbine would work pretty well in the grassy area near the south end.

In theme-ing terms, I'd like to see them make the old western town and Old Coney Fort more of a visually appealing part of the ride. I knows it's just a facade for storage, but come on, you can do better than some 1950s B-Movie prop work.

I really like the amount of theme-ing they did for Mystic Timbers, not every ride needs that much, but something would be nice, think Banshee level of theme. There isn't a single snake related item in line for Diamondback. Racer could actually race each other when the ridership gets high enough. Put some walls up under the deck for The Bat and hang some dollar store bats from the ceiling to make it look like a cave.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stoan said:

.....  There is one that I know of which is at the entrance. .....

As for Family restrooms, they are at about all of the restroom areas.  Heres the list that I know of:

Edge of Planet Snoopy / Diamondback area (Near the womens entrance)

By Backlot Stunt Coaster (Near the womens entrance)

Near WindSeeker (on the front by the water fountains, on the Mens side)

Across from Hanks (Near the womens entrance)

By Invertigo (on the front by the water fountains, on the Mens side)

Granted, at these locations, there is just one bathroom, so when the lone person comes strolling out, it gets me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

As for Family restrooms, they are at about all of the restroom areas.  Heres the list that I know of:

Edge of Planet Snoopy / Diamondback area (Near the womens entrance)

By Backlot Stunt Coaster (Near the womens entrance)

Near WindSeeker (on the front by the water fountains, on the Mens side)

Across from Hanks (Near the womens entrance)

By Invertigo (on the front by the water fountains, on the Mens side)

Granted, at these locations, there is just one bathroom, so when the lone person comes strolling out, it gets me.

Probably why I never see them. I almost never leave Planet Snoopy any more, so I don't see the other-side of the Planet Snoopy restroom.

• 2 months later...

The park should give Firehawk a repaint soon, at some parts some of its old green and black color scheme is starting to become visible. Also, I think eventually down the road they should repaint D-Back (maybe on its 10 year anniversary).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I've posted this on another thread but I never asked- would Millennium Flyer trains work on The Beast or not. Don't get me wrong I like the old PTC trains, but I think Mystic Timbers spoiled me with it's seating

59822a5b3e08b_millflyer.png.9536a2c6479a484ed97764dd886b26ca.png

Not sure I can handle anything but red for all three trains. I bet it could work, but why mess with a classic?

• Like 2

I would like to see a good flat ride added to X Base along with some bathroooms. 

GWL is cool, but I would like to see different accommodations that aren't so expensive to stay at. I come from 3 hours away and I love the Super 8 Mason, but it would be nice to have something on site. 

Things they could improve on...

• Train employees in food service to actually take a bit of pride in their work.
  • Everything said on here about Diamondback (seats are really gross)... reminds me of "Soul Glow"... 
  • Keep current on the theming for Boo Blasters or retire the attraction
  • Cut the Snoopy's Starlight lights out of the trees already.  

and Mystic Timbers was really themed pretty well but ended up with the worst ending to a coaster since Adventure Express, should have put shed in mid-course.  Actors voices are also real "cheesy"; should have had Marty Brennaman do it.

Actually, from where I sit, the things they could do better is a MUCH smaller list than in years past.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Not sure I can handle anything but red for all three trains. I bet it could work, but why mess with a classic?

I like the current PTC trains and don't have a problem with them but I feel more crammed when riding both Racer and The Beast as opposed to Mystic Timbers where I feel like I have more shoulder room. I'm sure I'm not the only one

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KIBeast said:

GWL is cool, but I would like to see different accommodations that aren't so expensive to stay at. I come from 3 hours away and I love the Super 8 Mason, but it would be nice to have something on site. 

This! GWL is far too expensive for me to personally stay at -- I usually stay at the local Baymont. I'd love to be able to stay on the park and maybe get extended ride times like how Disney does. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dwight_Schrute said:

Things they could improve on...

• Train employees in food service to actually take a bit of pride in their work.
  • Everything said on here about Diamondback (seats are really gross)... reminds me of "Soul Glow"... 
  • Keep current on the theming for Boo Blasters or retire the attraction
  • Cut the Snoopy's Starlight lights out of the trees already.  

and Mystic Timbers was really themed pretty well but ended up with the worst ending to a coaster since Adventure Express, should have put shed in mid-course.  Actors voices are also real "cheesy"; should have had Marty Brennaman do it.

Actually, from where I sit, the things they could do better is a MUCH smaller list than in years past.

Pretty much spot on, my friend. Although I'm gonna disagree with the Mystic Timbers ending. It is essentially a glorified brake run, but I'm grateful we got what we did as opposed to nothing. It could've been a bit better through. I'm not too hot on screen based dark ride effects so it would've been cool to see something a bit more "physical" in there. Marty would've been a pretty cool touch hahaha. 

And if I had to guess/good I'd think the Snoopy lights would get pitched due to Winterfest this year.

• Like 1

^Totally agree with the actors' voices being bad on Mystic Timbers.  They're horrible!  Especially the guy doing the whole spiel as you climb the first lift.  "Go back home to your video games..." Oh boy!  This guy sounds like some teenager trying really hard to sound threatening.  They really needed someone with a deeper, more intimidating voice.  This whole spiel just sounds ridiculous and cheesy.  The first time I heard it, it made me cringe.  Everything else about the ride is great, so it's kind of a shame that the first lift has such a horrible voice track.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Voicetek said:

^Totally agree with the actors' voices being bad on Mystic Timbers.  They're horrible!  Especially the guy doing the whole spiel as you climb the first lift.  "Go back home to your video games..." Oh boy!  This guy sounds like some teenager trying really hard to sound threatening.  They really needed someone with a deeper, more intimidating voice.  This whole spiel just sounds ridiculous and cheesy.  The first time I heard it, it made me cringe.  Everything else about the ride is great, so it's kind of a shame that the first lift has such a horrible voice track.

Hey! HEY! I SEE YOU UP THERE! WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU THINK YER DOIN'?! Seriously, guys, you need to take that truck and go home to your video games!

Yeah it does sound reaalll cheesy. An update on the lines or the voices would be real nice. However, I do like the voice at the entrance to the ride. I think it really fits the theme.

• Like 1

Actually, I think that "a teenager trying to sound threatening" is exactly what you'd get at some place that apparently still has on-site security even though it has been out of business for over 30 years (after only operating for one day to begin with). You can't exactly expect them to be offering high pay or anything. ;)

The one that really gets to me is when the girl says "there's some /thing/ in the shed!" like it was an ugly guy who dared make a pass at her rather than something truly scary. 

And I like the shed. I've been to the park almost 40 times this season, riding Mystic Timbers at least once a visit, sometimes much more. And I'm still noticing new things inside the shed and among the other theming. There /are/ physical effects in addition to the screens, that enhance the illusion that the things on the screens are real. I can think of three offhand: the lockers on the right jut out from the wall, the sawblades on the front wall bounce as though the wall is being shaken, and there is a ventilation duct to the upper left that "falls" down. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheRickster said:

I like the shed... but I can also look past my disappointment in marketing hype vs. reality and enjoy it for what it is. Most people were expecting some sort of disney animatronic dark ride experience i guess.

Marketing hype? All they did was market a hashtag #whatsintheshed. What hype does that provide? Our imaginations was the hype.

KI could have just had the radio only and more than filled the "hype" they provided.

• Like 3