Things that KI can improve on

SonofBaconator

Trims are brakes on rides that slow the trains down in portions of the ride, usually in high speed areas.  Sometimes, as in the case on Diamondback, and Vortex, the block brakes trim the train speed.  On The Beast, the trims are located on the first drop, at the top of the second hill, in the brake shed (the covered portion of the ride before entering the second tunnel), and on the descent after the second lift.  

The trims, as Brad stated, have been on The Beast since it opened.  They did switch out the old skid brakes to magnetic trims about eleven or twelve years ago (mid-2000s).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phantom Theater said:

I think that KI should put more effort into keeping the lines for the rides clean. Adventure Express' line always looks terrible, even when the park opens for the season. The fact that it is enclosed doesn't help, but a good pressure washing every so often could take care of that. Flight of Fear's line also gets pretty bad. Personally, I really wish something could be done with the main entrance. I know that it would be too costly and unnecessary (since the building is fine and is used), but it just seems like a very ugly and dated building to me. I dislike the fact that it hides much of the entrance until you get in, which is actually kind of cool since you get that kind if "awe" once you walk in, but I picture it as a smaller modern looking building. If the restaurant wasn't there I think it would look much better. 

Look at Kings Dominion's front gate:

1130341615_20b565a2dd_z.jpg?zz=1

Source

To me, this is the most bland looking entrance that I've seen at a park. Doesn't give you the element of surprise as KI does. 

I will say I agree with you in the idea of the building needs something done (an updated look). 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, chugh43 said:

Look at Kings Dominion's front gate:

To me, this is the most bland looking entrance that I've seen at a park. Doesn't give you the element of surprise as KI does. 

I will say I agree with you in the idea of the building needs something done (an updated look). 

I agree, that is very bland. I've never seen KD's gates before. What they could do is remove the roofing that goes around the 2nd floor of the building and add pieces to the top of the building that match the new parking lot entrance and the park sign. This would give the entire entrance area a more uniform design and modernize the front gate. Kings Island Entrance.jpg

02Kings Island frontgate day.jpg

5816548065_ac703a584f_b.jpg

• Like 4

Maybe this should be in the que line thread, but I'll say it here. I wish some of the rides at KI had a more elaborate ques. Something like a Disney/Busch Gardens set-up where you're being told a story or something entertaining while waiting in line. Flight of Fear is the only ride that accomplishes this and I love it.

I'd love to see this practiced on The Beast, Adventure Express, and Firehawk. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Maybe this should be in the que line thread, but I'll say it here. I wish some of the rides at KI had a more elaborate ques. Something like a Disney/Busch Gardens set-up where you're being told a story or something entertaining while waiting in line. Flight of Fear is the only ride that accomplishes this and I love it.

I'd love to see this practiced on The Beast, Adventure Express, and Firehawk. 

Ummmm....Mystic Timbers?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dtk1378 said:

Sure if you like the story of watching Fun TV in a queue with some shaded areas that somewhat resemble sheds.

I don't appreciate the FUNTV is the woodshed and receiving area, but from the moment you enter the plaza, you are surrounded by a musical score, minimal metal queues, a line that takes you under the coaster, some video monitors that add to the story, a truck that starts before you leave the station....all in pretty well themed.

We can focus on what we think the company did wrong (FUNTV) or we can focus on all the things they did right.  I choose to focus on what they did right.

• Like 3

I agree the decorations are nice, but I don't think it accomplishes what @SonofBaconator was trying to get across. When you look at the queue for Flight of Fear it is very elaborate with a story around the ride. While it would be easy to just say "Hey, good job Kings Island on Mystic Timbers & Banshee, you gave your best effort, here's your participation trophy", there is nothing wrong with wanting more. Fun TV kills any themed ride queue areas for me unfortunately, and that's okay if it doesn't for you, it's all personal opinion.

I do feel that Fun TV has it's place in certain queues that don't need the immersive experience in the line especially when they have longer waits (e.g. Firehawk, Diamondback, White Water Canyon, etc.). But there is some examples of where Fun TV completely takes away from the experience in the queue for example Mystic Timbers, Boo Blasters, Adventure Express, & Beast. I will give Kings Island credit that they do do some good queues for rides like Flight of Fear, Racer (yes the theme just being the old time music lol), Banshee, and yes Mystic Timbers despite the Fun TV. But again, those aren't really immersive or Disney-esque experiences in line, Flight of Fear is the only queue that really accomplishes that.

• Like 3

^ Tomb Raider's que was absolutely amazing as well as Flight of Fear's. When I'm in a que, I want to be hyped up for what I'm about to ride. Heck, I'd get hyped to ride Flight Deck when the Transformers score played or when I'd hear Indiana Jones music in the Adventure Express que. If Flight of Fear didn't have an awesome themed que, the ride wouldn't be as memorable for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

^ Tomb Raider's que was absolutely amazing as well as Flight of Fear's. When I'm in a que, I want to be hyped up for what I'm about to ride. Heck, I'd get hyped to ride Flight Deck when the Transformers score played or when I'd hear Indiana Jones music in the Adventure Express que. If Flight of Fear didn't have an awesome themed que, the ride wouldn't be as memorable for me.

And the music makes it even better. Oh and some cool guy uploaded all the music from TRTR on YouTube.

• Like 2

The fun tvs have a time and place. But realistically the theming in the park needs help all around.

Banshee has no theming in the que. Mystic Timbers didn’t feel themed. It felt like it’s very sterile. Yes there’s some wink and nods here and there.

Also we need some more darn trees and water features in the park. Too much black top and concrete retain all of that summer heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shark6495 said:

Also we need some more darn trees and water features in the park. Too much black top and concrete retain all of that summer heat

I completely agree with this (I believe CP needs the same too)....I like that they've put pavers in areas...just need more! I'd love to see more small fountains throughout the park, it wouldn't hurt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shark6495 said:

The fun tvs have a time and place. But realistically the theming in the park needs help all around.

Banshee has no theming in the que. Mystic Timbers didn’t feel themed. It felt like it’s very sterile. Yes there’s some wink and nods here and there.

Tombstones?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shark6495 said:

Banshee has no theming in the que. Mystic Timbers didn’t feel themed.

Banshee has Tombstones around the front of the que and the plaza is pretty well themed. 

Mystic Timbers is nothing but themed: The crashed truck in the front, radio broadcasting inside the truck, the mill signs, the station has some props, the station made it sound like the truck is revving up, the lift hill has audio, and the shed has props, music, and animation. If that's not theming I don't know what is.

• Like 7

Banshee has Tombstones around the front of the que and the plaza is pretty well themed. 
Mystic Timbers is nothing but themed: The crashed truck in the front, radio broadcasting inside the truck, the mill signs, the station has some props, the station made it sound like the truck is revving up, the lift hill has audio, and the shed has props, music, and animation. If that's not theming I don't know what is.

I thought the discussion was about the que itself. Yes the plaza looks nice. But on Banshee once you get past the plaza it looks no different than the que for Firehawk. A large concrete slab with nothing.

As for Mystic Timbers yes there was a truck and yes there were some some signs in the que line.

But if we compare that to Flight of Fear or even The Beasts lines (at least when Beast opened it looked like a logging camp with the running water mill).

I’m not talking about the ride itself.

• Like 1

While I like the Mystic Timbers queue (minus FunTV), I think it would have been nice to make it an indoor queue to help add to the mystique of the theme.  Basically once you get to the steps it would become an outdoor queue.  Putting the security videos in an inside queue would be easier to hear the security conversations and you wouldn't have the distractions of the area around the ride.  It would also make the wait better during Winterfest.

• Like 2

I think in 2018 it’s not too much to ask that once you move past the plaza the entire que is designed to build anticipation for the ride. From music to props etc. heck it’s a logging company. It wouldn’t be that difficult to build/design cover that looks like it belongs in a logging company....

Don’t go so far to theme the loading station and the shed but wimp out on the que...

• Like 2

While I would love some Disney grade theming at KI I don't think its realistic to expect that. If Mystic Timbers queue was enclosed I think this forum would be full of people complaining about another big beige building. 

Flight of Fear gets away with it because the theme calls for a plainer looking building. And Banshee certainly has gravestones visible from the queue even in the switchbacks as well as special lighting, not to mention the coaster itself fills in as theming. 

I think in general Mystic Timbers level theming is about the best we can hope for.

• Like 1

I think there could be some benefit to possibly theming nearby eateries/gift shops to rides.  Imagine a Mystic Tavern/gift shop adjacent to MT;  Banshee Bistro/gift shop close to Banshee (Diamondback Diner?  Racer Restaurant?)  Many guests identify with their favorite rides, so it seems like there could be some excitement involved with getting off your favorite ride, and being able to eat and purchase items themed to your favorite ride in the direct vicinity.

• Like 2

Having an elaborate theme for a ride is great, but I do believe that it isn't in the parks interests to put significant amounts of money into theming the queue of any ride unless it is especially important to the rides story, such as Flight of Fear. Since Flight of Fear is completely indoors, the theming needs little to no upkeep except for keeping it clean. For lines that are outdoors like Banshee and MT, theming the queues will only add more to maintenance costs since they are exposed to the weather. People will ride the coasters regardless of an elaborate theme in the line. 

For me, I think that the actual theme throughout the ride is the most important part. The only coaster at KI that I can think of that has any type of theme during the ride is Adventure Express. I love AE, and I really hope to see improvements come to the ride, such as the rehab on the final tunnel and cleaning up and adding more elements to the tunnels throughout the ride. Sadly, I really feel like that coaster is getting too old and might be removed in the coming years, but who knows? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Phantom Theater said:

Having an elaborate theme for a ride is great, but I do believe that it isn't in the parks interests to put significant amounts of money into theming the queue of any ride unless it is especially important to the rides story, such as Flight of Fear. Since Flight of Fear is completely indoors, the theming needs little to no upkeep except for keeping it clean. For lines that are outdoors like Banshee and MT, theming the queues will only add more to maintenance costs since they are exposed to the weather. People will ride the coasters regardless of an elaborate theme in the line. 

For me, I think that the actual theme throughout the ride is the most important part. The only coaster at KI that I can think of that has any type of theme during the ride is Adventure Express. I love AE, and I really hope to see improvements come to the ride, such as the rehab on the final tunnel and cleaning up and adding more elements to the tunnels throughout the ride. Sadly, I really feel like that coaster is getting too old and might be removed in the coming years, but who knows? 

Some of the best theming sometimes is put on the weakest rides. Case in point, look at Skull Mountain or The Dark Knight at Six Flags Great Adventure. Even Disaster Transport was well received.  

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 5:40 PM, Magenta Lizard said:

Within the first weekend of Mystic Timbers being open, they already needed to fix the split rail queue fencing because people kept sitting on it and eventually broke some of it. They have to walk a fine line with queue theming to have stuff that is interesting but either sturdy or well out of range of guests. 

I was wondering why they don't just spend a little extra coin, and drill holes through the fencing boards, then push some rebar through. At least so they have a little more support. Granted, people shouldn't be sitting on them anyways. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

1. @SonofBaconator: Sorry! I did not know that this page is already... I'll look next time.

2.  Here are my suggestions:

1. Remove or relocate Sling Shot

2. Complete overhaul and restoration of Coney mall (including Racer and Vortex)

3. Bring back the Swiss Sky Ride

4. Expand or revamp Oktoberfest

5. Bring the original theme back to International Street

6. Put back the antenna on the Eiffel Tower

7. Remove Crypt building

8. Remove or relocate Back lot Stunt Coaster

I can't think of any more at the moment, but if I do, I'll put it on here. 

• Confused 1