Things that KI can improve on

SonofBaconator

59 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Marketing hype? All they did was market a hashtag #whatsintheshed. What hype does that provide? Our imaginations was the hype.

KI could have just had the radio only and more than filled the "hype" they provided.

To be fair, the park knew 100% full well what that hashtag would result in. Without the hashtag, us enthusiasts would not have hyped it up nearly that much. They could have just cut the POV animation and told us there was a surprise in the shed and left it at that, and we wouldn't have discussed it that much. But the moment they dropped that hashtag, it became a specific question that demanded an equally specific answer, and that led to the massive speculation and thus the excess of hype.

So I think the park AND the enthusiasts share the blame more or less equally for overhyping the shed.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

To be fair, the park knew 100% full well what that hashtag would result in. Without the hashtag, us enthusiasts would not have hyped it up nearly that much. They could have just cut the POV animation and told us there was a surprise in the shed and left it at that, and we wouldn't have discussed it that much. But the moment they dropped that hashtag, it became a specific question that demanded an equally specific answer, and that led to the massive speculation and thus the excess of hype.

So I think the park AND the enthusiasts share the blame more or less equally for overhyping the shed.

What the park expected was people would be excited that there is an extra surprise in the ending, not that literally almost hundreds of enthusiasses would overhype it in their minds thinking it would be on par with Disney effects. 

• Like 2

I never thought the shed would be on par with anything Disney offers in their attractions.  That being said, it was still a let down for me.  One thing I despise more than anything are screen projections on a ride.  To me it just feels like a cop out because you were too cheap or too lazy to install physical effects.  Now granted, the shed does have SOME physical effects.  However, to me projected animations (poor animations, mind you, that are poorly rendered), just feel a bit cheesy.  One good thing about the projections, though, is that they can change them.  I do find it interesting that there are different endings with different creatures.  I'll be interested to see if they continue to update those through the years or swap them out for other animations during different events (ie: Haunt, etc). 

And yes, right now Mystic Timbers is 13 years newer than Backlot Stunt Coaster so, as we would expect, all the effects still work.  I'm wondering though, what will the shed look like a decade from now?  Will all the projections still work? Will the physical effects still work?  Hopefully the ending won't turn into something where we just roll in, hear some music playing and then roll out without any effects and without any projections.  Since we do have theming and effects inside the shed, I really hope KI stays on top of them and keeps them all running.  Looking at KI's track record though, I'm a little concerned (see Adventure Express, Boo Blasters, Backlot Stunt Coaster).  Only time will tell I guess.  Right now we can just enjoy what we've got.  Even those that don't enjoy the ending, or who were disappointed in it can still enjoy the coaster.  I don't ride Mystic Timbers for the shed ending, I ride it for the amazing coaster it is.

I think the hype came from previous park attractions. Look how insane the theming is on Flight of Fear, Adventure Express, and BLSC. Though those were all pre-Cedar Fair rides, we as park guests believed that the shed would have never before seen elements on a wooden coaster, or possibly some animatronics as seen on Adventure Express.

I personally expected rotating sawmill blades, moving vines and/or an animatronic Tree Monster from the logo. I don't think anyone expected just a screen, a Coke machine, and a radio.

• Like 1

^Yes, this is kind of what I expected too.  When I saw the saw blades hanging on the wall, I kept watching them waiting for them to start spinning.  I was actually kind of expecting the Tree Monster to be inhabiting the shed.  I didn't expect it to be as sophisticated an animatronic as what Disney has, but I figured it could be done on a lower level of some sort.  I also wanted to see vines moving around, like he was completely overrunning the shed.  Also, I kind of wish there was a little bit of artificial fog or something to give the shed a creepy ambiance.  I think that would add another layer to it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Marketing hype? All they did was market a hashtag #whatsintheshed. What hype does that provide? Our imaginations was the hype.

KI could have just had the radio only and more than filled the "hype" they provided.

They knew what they were doing with the shed.  To say the fans "created" the hype is cleaning the hands of the wrong people.  Of course, with not knowing what's in the shed, there's no way that it could have lived up to anyone's expectations.  In situations like that, people inherently think their wildest dreams are going to be topped so no matter what is done it would never be enough.

When you rode it for the first time had they said nothing and it was just a surprise then your minds would have been blown.  I guarantee it.

Then again, there was 6 months worth of discussion and speculation every day wonder what was in the shed.

Again - they knew exactly what they were doing.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Saerenzea said:

I though the hype for the shed was way overplayed. But it was a nice misdirect since the coaster itself is amazing. 

If anything, I think the shed is underhyped at this point.  Why?  Because people are so concerned that it was overhyped that they don't appreciate what's there.  There are fine details that no one seems to be talking about that really are extraordinary.

Has anyone noticed that the saw blades on the right side of the screen in front of you bump out from the wall once the animation peaks?  It really seems like the snake or whatever hits the building.  Also, as @Magenta Lizard pointed out to me the other day, there is an HVAC line that "falls" and can only be seen front the back.  There are a lot of little details that really push the experience forward. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

If anything, I think the shed is underhyped at this point.  Why?  Because people are so concerned that it was overhyped that they don't appreciate what's there.  There are fine details that no one seems to be talking about that really are extraordinary.

Has anyone noticed that the saw blades on the right side of the screen in front of you bump out from the wall once the animation peaks?  It really seems like the snake or whatever hits the building.  Also, as @Magenta Lizard pointed out to me the other day, there is an HVAC line that "falls" and can only be seen front the back.  There are a lot of little details that really push the experience forward. 

Couldn't agree more with you.

Also, like I mentioned a while ago, a certain piece of Son of Beast can be found on the floor.

The shed is fun. Sadly for me, I had already been on KIC before going to ride the ride for the first time, so I had a bit of an idea what I was going to experience. It's nice to see a theme in a ride for me, and the shed carries the theme well. 

Now on to answering the question asked by the thread: Small kids stuff. They have a great selection of kids rides for kids that are over 40 inches, but my son who's only 38 inches was very limited in his ride choices, and that was disappointing to me. Wildly, my kids are 2 years apart, my 2 year old is 38 inches, and my 4 year old is 42. They both love rides, and I would like there to be more for them to do!! 

There is one thing I've been forgetting to add- 

Kings Island, Cedar Fair, please, please, please rehab Racer.  Even the good seats are getting towards the uncomfortable side and it looks so barren without the chaser lights strung all the way down the layout.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I always ride the side that is closest to the midway on The Racer I forget what color that is but it seems to be worlds smoother than the side closest to Flight of Fear.

Red is the Coney Mall side; blue is the X-Base side. :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Yes, blue side could use some track work this winter!

Gravity Group did some track work for Rebel Yell in the past. Since GG is right down the road, it would seem like a no brainier to bring them in- especially now that we have a smooth GCI, Racer is going to appear more rough

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Gravity Group did some track work for Rebel Yell in the past. Since GG is right down the road, it would seem like a no brainier to bring them in- especially now that we have a smooth GCI, Racer is going to appear more rough

I actually was afraid of that at the beginning of the season. I personally don't think Racer appears more rough with MT. For those that have not ridden or only limited rides might think so?

I would recommend riding red or blue and then sit in the same seat on the other side. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I actually was afraid of that at the beginning of the season. I personally don't think Racer appears more rough with MT. For those that have not ridden or only limited rides might think so?

I would recommend riding red or blue and then sit in the same seat on the other side. 

True, but the GP doesn't really know to strictly ride the red side as an enthusiast would. Maybe it varies from person to person

On 12/2/2016 at 0:56 PM, markr said:

Sending trains out with a bunch of empty seats drives me crazy.  It seems to have gotten especially bad at Banshee station.  My solution would be to stop the ridiculous practice of assigning seats-simply tell people to enter the station and grab a seat especially single riders.  This causes an unnecessary long queue line even on non busy days. I have addressed this issue repeatedly to no avail.  So managment, hope you are now listening.

They need a single rider line.

Single rider lines don't really help....especially when you have folks getting in the single rider line with their friends and still group together. Most single riders I've known or have seen go specifically to seats/rows they want to ride in and won't go where there's an empty seat. 

Banshee wouldn't even be a good candidate for this. There operations are a lot quicker than other rides in the park....why sacrifice operation times to fill empty seats when it's been proven each year, by ride numbers, that it's ridership is doing quite well. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 3:19 PM, SonofBaconator said:

True, but the GP doesn't really know to strictly ride the red side as an enthusiast would. Maybe it varies from person to person

For most of the season, Red has been smoother than Blue. However, Red Racer was surprisingly bumpy/rough when I last rode it (on 8/27),