Son of Beast

pianoman

1 hour ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Anyone in this thread done a recreation of Son of Beast with RMC topper track? That would be slick right there. We can only dream right?

I dunno if this was anyone here on KIC, but Amusement Insiders on Youtube has made a what-if RMC Son of Beast:

Also, I found the video by GP to Enthusiast a few posts ago very informative. I knew there was a bump in the double helix (aka the Rose Bowl) but I thought it was near the bottom of the helix, not the top, and didn't realize that a train actually came to a dead stop- I thought it still completed the rest of the course, but injured people and then the ride was e-stopped in the station. (Granted Train #2 actually DID do this according to the same video- sadly if the ride was E-Stopped Train #1 was back on the track and past the lift already...)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was insanely lucky to be at the media day for Son of Beast. I was in 6th grade, an ACE member, and was a winner of the local ACE 'contest' to be invited... and my school happened to be closed that day.  As other people have mentioned, the first few rides were truly something else.  As much as I loved that ride, including all of it's issues, I'm glad that it's time came to and end before the era of RMC's.

Kings Island has a brilliant line up.  Just about every coaster that's come and gone from KI has had a fairly profound impact on the entire amusement park industry.  It would be insanely interesting to see a RMC Son of Beast, but I think becoming part of folklore with The Bat, King Cobra, Vortex, & Firehawk (phantom theater... etc.) is so much better.

• Like 1

Update: I just re-checked GP to Enthusiast's video, and turns out my OG thoughts on what happened in 2006 were in fact true: here is what actually happened based on the video and what I have learned via the comments. Son of Beast was running 2 trains in 2006.

1- Train #1 (could have been SOB's #2 but I'll just say it was #1 for simplicity) departs, climbs the lift hill, drops and hits the rose bowl. The ride goes fine however the forces cause a support to crack/break and a small dip to occur in the track.

2- Train #2 is dispatched, and when it hits the rose bowl section that was damaged, riders feel a jolt but are not injured. The damaged area breaks even more and the dip becomes larger.

3- Train #1 is sent out again, and hits the now large dip. Riders sustain injuries and some have bloody noses. The ride manages to complete the rest of the circuit and returns to the station.

4- Train #2 is climbing the 218 foot lift, when ride ops see the injured riders of Train #1 and E-Stop the ride. Train #2 is stuck there, and remains there for days. News chopper footage of Son of Beast from around the time of the accident show Train #2 on the lift hill. Who knows what would have happened if the ride ops had been faster and Train #2 had cleared the lift before the ride was E-Stopped!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

The creepy thing for me is I rode it within the same week, if not, within a few days of this and counted myself lucky for that timing.  

Didn't they also reduce the trains from 6 cars per train to 5 that season?

They did. Here is a video filmed a few days before the accident I like to watch from time to time, it is a "music video" made by CoasterImage.com (anyone here remember them)? Son of Beast can be seen running 5-car trains. Note: It is from 2007 so hope you don't mind good old 240p!

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 3:32 PM, McSalsa said:

I found the video by GP to Enthusiast a few posts ago very informative

It's a very interesting video. I had no idea someone died after riding the SOB in 2007 or that the ride broke people's necks and backs in it's first couple years. I'm glad someone mentioned it

• Like 1

GP to Enthusiast has re-uploaded and fixed his error in the OG video. Here is the new version:

Also I was apparently wrong about the train cycling several times before the main injures occurred, there were really only 3 "events" and not 4. (The support breaks, the 2nd train hits the dip and injures riders, and then Train 1 is E-Stopped when a ride-op sees the injured riders of Train 2)

• Like 3