Coasterstock 2017

JubJester

New to the forums! (How did it take me this long to join?!) Hello all! 

I am considering taking my DD (who turns 8 on May 17) to Coasterstock as her gift.  She crested 48" last year and has done every coaster that has come her way since then.  Pretty sure she's at 52" now, so that opens us to even more options!  She's also very curious and would love behind-the-scenes stuff and scavenger hunt, etc.

What do you think?  Would she enjoy?  Do other littles ever attend? She'd be okay as the only kid, but would she be welcomed? 

Thanks for any perspectives/advice!

My son (currently 11 years old) is a platinum pass holder and I have not taken him the last few years for I do not think he can handle the very long days. On a regular day he is dragging 7 to 8 PM. If she can handle the long days I say she would really enjoy it. There are some younger ones there I have noticed, but not a lot.

Welcome to KIC by the way!

• Like 5

Thanks @IndyGuy4KI!  We are local, so we always have a way to bail if we need to do so.   But, I don't expect that because our kids are used to early mornings and late nights with lots of activities, including KI.  I really think she'd like it.

It seems like you can come and go if you like, right?  I mean, if we skipped something we could just meet back up with the group at the next activity?

• Like 2

^yes, you totally can. At check-in, you'll receive a schedule of what is happening when and where, and you may show up with your credentials to as many or as few as you like. While groups tend to meet up, hang out and ride together, regroup, etc in between the scheduled events, nothing is required. If I could have easily left for a nap, I very well might have in past years. This year's event is a little shorter so it shouldn't be as grueling. 

• Like 4

Last year on Saturday I took the last Beast tour, and had an early lunch.  This gave me a large enough gap to hop in my car and drive to my hotel and get an hour or two of sleep in a bed.  The bad part is you loose your parking spot, but I feel like it was worth it and might try it again this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drummermattk said:

So for the check in on the first day do you HAVE to be there at 6:30 or can it be in-between 6:30 - 8:30

On 3/6/2017 at 7:50 PM, Magenta Lizard said:

I am fairly sure you can check in at Guest Services any time that they don't have the check-in windows going.  

I believe the windows will be open for awhile, as well. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I'm registered and ready to go for Coaster stock this May. I'm also registered for The Beast tour, but forgot what time I picked. Is there a way to check that on www.visitkingsisland.com/ ?

Unsure, If not i'm sure it'll be on your inteniery you get the day of! I've looked but can't seem to find anywhere it tell me. I picked 3pm, I know but I'm not finding a spot that tells me that. I could just be over looking it though! 

• Like 2

Indyguy4KI and I bought our tickets this weekend - 4pm Beast tour. The 2pm slot was full. 

I will miss part of Friday morning as I'm flying back from Florida that morning. One of my niece's is graduating high school in Florida and I can't miss it. I'm glad I was able to figure out a way to celebrate her as well as attend Coasterstock. 

Edited to add- I brought my 13-year-old nephew the first year for his birthday present. As much as he was used to going to the park with me, it was a long and exhausting weekend for him. We arrived for the morning ERT time and ended up not staying for all of the evening ERT time. He fell asleep during the talk in the theater and sat down and conked out during the train talk too. We even went out to the car and took an hour nap the one day. He had a blast but it was a bit exhausting for him. 

For people with kids, I would recommend watching for signs of them dragging. Visiting the park open to close is a bit different than Coasterstock. There is enough time in the weekend to take breaks as needed or skip out on something in order to get some rest at home/hotel/car. Making sure you (and the kids) are well rested will make for a far more enjoyable weekend! 

• Like 6

I will be buying my ticket as soon as I process my Gold season pass (purchasing your ticket with the pass options requires you to enter your pass number).  My wife and I downgraded to Gold this year, since we likely won`t make it to another Cedar Fair park with our son just three months old right now.

I went to Coasterstock last year, but didn`t make full days out of it.  We had purchased our tickets before my wife and I found out we were expecting, so needless to say, she didn`t do much coaster riding.

• Like 3

I bought my pass at the park last year, but couldn`t process at the time since the season wasn`t over.  So I do not have a confirmation number, unless it is on the receipt from when I purchased (which I have on my desk), I will have to wait.  Thanks for the heads up though.  Will check tonight when I get home from work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately not going to be there this year. I never got a response from the coaster club I'm in about a problem with one of our accounts. I sent it over a month ago, but never got a response. So I couldn't do much. 

Disappointed I won't be involved in this awesome event.

• Like 1

Though you do have to register for the event before the deadline, which has already passed for Coasterstock 2017.

Many attendees are glad to talk about the park and/or their coaster club(s), if you see them around the park during the event. There will probably be a KIC meetup as well at some point, for both Coasterstock participants and those just visiting the park. Watch this thread, KIC social media channels, and Coasterstock social media channels for details.

• Like 3