KIC Off Season Poll Series 2016 Week V: What is the best B&M Coaster in Ohio?

BB1

Some call the Kings Island-Cedar Point rivalry something that keeps the parks thriving. With a shared market, both parks have different coasters yet are under one Cedar Fair. Something that I think that gets overlooked is the B&M collection that we have in Ohio. From Diamondback to Valravn, it is diverse and spans from old to new B&M designs. So in light of this, this week's poll will be about which B&M coaster is the best in the state of Ohio. Feel free to post and put in your ballot in the poll!

I voted for Banshee as I think it is the best of the choices. Second place would probably go to Gatekeeper and then third would probably be between Diamondback and Raptor (as I haven't ridden Raptor in a few years). Also, I cannot comment on Valravn or Rougarou yet as I have not ridden them.

I voted Banshee because it is by far one of the best original coaster designs ever created. No pre-drop or mid course break-run results in constant momentum from start to finish. I haven't gotten a chance to visit CP yet so I can't really judge their coasters, but to me Gatekeeper stands out as the most original and best of the 4 B&Ms they have. The others look like generic layouts from their own respective category. Why do all B&M Dive Machines have nearly the same layout? I rode Sheikra in Tampa so Valravn doesn't look too different to me. 

I was between Diamondback and Valravn, eventually settling on Diamondback due to the awesome airtime. Valravn is close, but due to it being shorter in length, I decided against it. Banshee was great for me in 2014, but has gotten less exciting with every ride since. In fact, this past season, most of my rides were downright boring. I found my mind wandering and thinking about other things during the course of the ride. The seven inversions no longer seem to have an effect on me. Diamondback though, no matter how many rides I take, is always fantastic.

I voted Banshee but I think Diamondback is right up there with it, a toss up really.  After those two I would say Raptor and then Rougarou, Gatekeeper and then Valravn.  I dunno I just felt like Gatekeeper and Valravn were huge let downs.  Neither being notably good overall (had moments of goodness) and both being the 7th or 8th best coaster at Cedar Point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...