Rumors 2017 onward

SonofBaconator

Music in the park performances are held in the Kings Island Theatre not Timberwolf.  Although I do believe the awards are given out in Timberwolf.  It has been years since the last concert performance at the park (2013?).  Spirit Song is a 4 day event every year.  

It used to be used for an annual Cheerleading competition.  I tried to google it to make sure I did not just miss the event but could not find anything recent.

Please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I can tell the venue is used for 5 or 6 days a year.  How long does it make sense to keep with little use?

• Like 1

As long as it isn't hurting them. It might not get used a lot but Spirit Song brings in a ton of people each year. And right now they have lots of other areas for expansion without touching it. Some we might not even realize. (Who here really imagined a coaster going in where MT is now?) So while not used much there is no reason on their end to remove it yet. 

Years from now if they would actually need that land for an attraction or something, likely a coaster, that would generate a lot of interest from the general public then they would look at tearing it down. But right now they don't need to so likely won't.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Did he ever actually say that, though, or did we (and Screamscape) assume that it would happen because of Wonderland's and KD's fountains being upgraded? I'm not accusing you of lying by any means--I'm just asking the question because I don't remember him ever talking about the fountains. That, and I'm trying to desperately hold on to hope that all the Cedar Fair parks are still going to get dark rides. ;)

• Like 2

I've been to the park when spirit song was there.  While I've never been in timberwolf while Spirit Song was going on, you get a pretty good look into the seating area when leaving at night, and it appeared to be pretty packed, if not sold out.  Anyhoo, my question, that likely nobody on here can (or I guess more likely would) answer is how much money does it generate?  If they don't have any other events in timbewolf, any profit that Spirit Song generates is going to be offset to some degree by the maintenance and upkeep to the speakers, wiring, lights, stage, backstage, seating, etc...for (1) 4 day event.  If there is nothing else there to generate profit, all of that associated cost will be directed towards that 1 event.

Is it possible to hold some version of spirit song in different parts of the park, in some of the different stages?  Assuming the content is family friendly (I don't listen to christian rock, so I'm just assuming) would there be a benefit to not only the park, but also the performers to have them perform on the stage behind the tower where park guests could hear some of the show, perhaps "stumble" into something they like?  Perhaps ticketed seats to actually be "inside" the theater, but standing room availability or just allowing the noise to drift out to the masses?  Would it be too loud that it would be a hindrance?  Obviously there are many angles to look at, but I could see a benefit in holding various acts in different parts of the park, spread out over the coarse of the weekend while freeing up the area that Timberwolf sits on to be used for more than 1 event a year.  They could also do something similar for perhaps local or smaller national acts to perform on one of the open air stages and perhaps grow their audience.

• Like 5

I'm sure KI has meetings that determine what land/ ride is expendable or available.  When the question of removal is brought up, the answer of: how often is land/ ride used, ROI (maintenance vs. popularity), or refurbishment is discussed.

If the park has not put money into something recently (basic yearly maintenance cost for safety of guests, aesthetics of area etc.) it is hard not to believe it is not on the chopping block.

Does that mean Timberwolf fits in KI's future?  I personally don't see how given how much it is not used. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

Did he ever actually say that, though, or did we (and Screamscape) assume that it would happen because of Wonderland's and KD's fountains being upgraded? I'm not accusing you of lying by any means--I'm just asking the question because I don't remember him ever talking about the fountains. That, and I'm trying to desperately hold on to hope that all the Cedar Fair parks are still going to get dark rides. ;)

Not verbatim on what I said, but ideas coming from IAAPA which would be generally big ideas in my view. I also asked Don and Greg frequently when seeing them if there was any news on the update of the fountain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Browntggrr said:

I'm sure KI has meetings that determine what land/ ride is expendable or available.  When the question of removal is brought up, the answer of: how often is land/ ride used, ROI (maintenance vs. popularity), or refurbishment is discussed.

If the park has not put money into something recently (basic yearly maintenance cost for safety of guests, aesthetics of area etc.) it is hard not to believe it is not on the chopping block.

Does that mean Timberwolf fits in KI's future?  I personally don't see how given how much it is not used. 

no doubt they have looked at the ROI value of Timberwolf's maintenance.  As long as its a push (or even slightly negative, but there is some sort of "goodwill" value in having Spirit Song at the park and a % of return visitors that come back later in the season or the following seasons due to spirit song that can't be accurately accounted for) there would be no reason to tear it down until they have something "better" to go in its place.  When/if timberwolf closes and is removed, you can bet that w/n a couple of seasons some major will pop up in that area.  Could be rides, could be a hotel, could be camping areas, who knows, but it will be something that improves the bottom line (at least in theory)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Can Drop Tower please be repainted and renamed Demon Drop? It would add to the spooky theme the park is trying to push in Action Zone and it would also pay homage to Screamin' Demon. I'm kinda tired of the checkerboard look and the current colors. 

I'm with you on that. "Action Zone" is not so action-y anymore without the Paramount theming. Also I just always thought the Drop Tower logo was a little too cheesy, even for Cedar Fair.

• Like 4

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 9:22 AM, medford said:

Is it possible to hold some version of spirit song in different parts of the park, in some of the different stages?  Assuming the content is family friendly (I don't listen to christian rock, so I'm just assuming) would there be a benefit to not only the park, but also the performers to have them perform on the stage behind the tower where park guests could hear some of the show, perhaps "stumble" into something they like?  Perhaps ticketed seats to actually be "inside" the theater, but standing room availability or just allowing the noise to drift out to the masses?  Would it be too loud that it would be a hindrance?  Obviously there are many angles to look at, but I could see a benefit in holding various acts in different parts of the park, spread out over the coarse of the weekend while freeing up the area that Timberwolf sits on to be used for more than 1 event a year.  They could also do something similar for perhaps local or smaller national acts to perform on one of the open air stages and perhaps grow their audience.

I like this idea- I know when I went to Holiday World last year, one of the Rock the World stages was in the 4th of July section and I enjoyed the music even though I wasn't there for the event.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd update the list to accommodate the new rumors circulating and lay the confirmed rumors to rest

Kings Island

1. Drop Tower possibly renamed Demon Drop
  2. Former SOB station recycled for another ride
  3. A giga coming before, after, or during KI's 50th anniversary 
  4. Triotech coming 
  5. Flats coming

Other Cedar Fair parks rumors

1. Canada's Wonderland Invert or Wing
  2. Valley Fair Invert
  3. Knott's Boomerang moving to a smaller Cedar Fair park
  4. Dive Coaster for Knotts
  5. Kings Dominion Hyper coaster
  • Like 1

Aside from Spiritsong, when was the last time Timberwolf actually hosted a high profile band/artist?  I'm honestly surprised Spiritsong puts up with Timberwolf given the severe lack of upgrades to the place.  It feels like an arbitrary relationship because KI offers a great experience on top of it with having the whole park at their disposal, but hasn't felt obligated to throw Spiritsong a bone by giving them a nicer venue.  

Overall, I don't think the removal of Timberwolf would be as bad as we might believe. 

• Like 1

I have no idea the revenue Christian concerts bring in but the fact that CP bothers to  build the venue in the SC lot each year indicates to me it is profitable on some level.  

KI could do the same but they also have a lot of land to work with.  So the question becomes is that exact parcel that important to ride expansion to tear out the venue?  I have never been in it but is it any worse than a parking lot?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Once again I thought I'd update the list to add new rumors and put old ones to rest

Kings Island 

1. Giga speculation- nothing new
  2. Flats in the next year or two
  3. Drop Tower possibly being renamed and repainted to Demon Drop- maybe on an off year
  4. Wolfpack or urgent scare being retired- If either buildings are completely stripped of haunt props and aren't going to be used the following season, that might hint at something bigger
  5. Triotech 
  6. Mystic Timbers' shed might change the scenes as the seasons change

Other Parks

1. Kings Dominion- wing coaster, slightly rumored hyper coaster
  2. Canada's Wonderland- Invert or wing
  3. Carowinds- RMC hurler, Vortex sitdown conversion with a rename of Centurion  
  4. Dorney Park- nothing except they are already teasing a new haunt attraction
  5. Cedar Point- Slightly rumored that a B&M flyer will appear within a few years, possibly a Polar Coaster to be added exceeding 500 ft. Possible dark ride
  6. Valley Fair- Rumored Invert near the front of the park, or Knott's Boomerang
  7. Michigan's Adventure- Knott's Boomerang
  8. Knotts- Possible Dive Machine by B&M or a whole new type of coaster
  9. California's Great America- Intamin shuttle coaster, the proposed hyper possibly being the largest hyper in the chain
  10. Worlds of Fun- Wing coaster

Cedar Fair

1. Ouimet teased at a whole new type of coaster. Could go to any Cedar Fair park but Knott's might be the best candidate
  2. Triotech proposed to come to all Cedar Fair parks in some form
  3. New found relationship with Intamin or possibly even Mack
  4. More coasters coming from GCI 
  5. RMC could be going to parks that need a treatment, a ground up Cedar Fair RMC has yet to be done. 
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people cannot stand Vortex which leads me to think that it might be on the list for removal in the future. With that said, maybe they could rebuild a modern looping coaster or a blitz coaster like Maverick in it's place. Just my three cents. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

A lot of people cannot stand Vortex which leads me to think that it might be on the list for removal in the future. With that said, maybe they could rebuild a modern looping coaster or a blitz coaster like Maverick in it's place. Just my three cents. 

I think you'd be hard pressed to see the park remove Vortex unless it developed a serious structural issue, or part prices escalating.  It is one of the higher capacity rides in the park.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to see the park remove Vortex unless it developed a serious structural issue, or part prices escalating.  It is one of the higher capacity rides in the park.

And visually one of the best looking coasters in the park. At least I think so.

• Like 10

^ I guess the people I'm around can't stand Vortex at Kings Island. Pun intended for the carowinds model. They say it's too rough for them. I just made my post the way I did as an option if they ever did decide to get rid of Vortex. Personally, I like Vortex the way it is, but If they did decide to get rid of it, I would put in a Floorless, or an Intamin blitz coaster similar to Maverick in there.

• Like 1