Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2016 at 6:03 PM, CoasterOhio said:

^ Edit, KD Announced March 25 as their opening date. As per their Facebook page.

Oooh thank you for this! I thought that I was losing my mind!  

I thought KI had announced their preview night for March 24th, but opening on April 15th.  I thought that it was so weird to have the dates so far apart.  

• Like 2

On 1/14/2017 at 6:51 PM, Gannersdaddy said:

Just checking the Ki site and saw that they have Education Days for 2017 set for the following

2017 Program Dates

Friday, April 28
May 5, 12, 15 - 19, 26

Trying to book my vacation to Ohio from N.C. For those in the know, is it relatively safe to assume based on the above dates that KI will start full weekly operation on May 15th? They have yet to add the 2017 dates on their website

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KingsMills79 said:

Trying to book my vacation to Ohio from N.C. For those in the know, is it relatively safe to assume based on the above dates that KI will start full weekly operation on May 15th? They have yet to add the 2017 dates on their website

In the past, 7 day operations has started the Friday before the full week of Education Days. Based on their release Education Days schedule, 7 day ops would begin May 12th.

• Like 2

While Winterfest is listed on the calendar, they do not have hours provided yet for Winterfest.  It simply states "Open."  Also interesting to note, is that they will be closed on Christmas Eve and Day (Sunday and Monday).  They will also be closed on Sunday, December 31st for New Years Eve.  Winterfest V3.0 officially opens on Friday November 24th (the day after Thanksgiving).

I also noticed that.  I was wondering if that Friday would be a private event, or if they are going to have a pass holder preview.  (There has been no mention of pass holder preview day from what I can tell, or remember in the fall).  Also Friday the 14th is Good Friday.  The park is also not open on Sunday April 23rd, as there is a private event that day.

• Like 3

I think Friday the 14th is media day. They will want to minimize spillage of what is in the shed prior to opening day. I expect they will ask the media to keep the secret until the park opens, but the longer the time involved and the more people who know, the less likely it will remain secret. Probably the auctioned off first rides will be the same day. I don't think we're getting a pass holder preview this year, once again, because they are trying to protect this mystery. Hopefully we'll get a different day, or maybe extra hours the Friday after that. 

• Like 6

Thanks for the notice of KI's hours! :D Also, anyone notice the park will be open from 12-7 the day after Opening Day (as it's usually closed)? If I'm not too KI'd out, I think I might go that day as well. Also-also, December 30th will be KI's official Closing Day- wonder what rides will be open then (and will we have 2 Closing Day meetups, one for the end of the non-Winterfest season and one on the true Closing Day?)?

EDIT: My signature hath returned! :D

• Like 2

The biggest change this year is that the park is open to the public on the Sunday following opening day (albeit shortened hours - 12-7), which is when they're usually closed for a buyout. I'm hoping that if the buyout is on the 14th, Mystic Timbers won't make its debut until the 15th. Otherwise we'll all hear about what's in the shed before opening day.

• Like 3

I'll have to put in my request for opening day at work tomorrow since it appears there isn't going to be a passholder preview night this year (though I was planning to take opening day off either way - just wanted to make things easier on my manager by not putting in two separate requests for consecutive days).

• Like 4

Nice to see they aren't closed the day after opening day this year. Unfortunately, I think it has more to do with whoever rents them out not wanting to have their event on Easter and holding off until the following Sunday, rather than a change we'll see continue into the future.

• Like 2