Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

21 hours ago, MysticsTimber said:

Any idea where in the park that was taken at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fairly certain this construction is happening between the Blackout Haunt maze and Timberwolf. On the Banshee Webcam you can see a crane going to work in that area right now.

• Like 2

What I am fixated on is the retaining wall.  That is the same style as what was used to build the maintenance road next to Mystic Timbers.  How many of those can exist in the park?  I do not even remember any until Mystic Timbers which means I have completely missed it or it is not in an area of the park which is accessible to guests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, calakapepe said:

No way. The angle for the 2nd loop has the wrong angle from there

Edit. Not that I know. I just dont believeyour guess is right. I still think the old rose bowl might be it... maybe

I like that guess of near the rose bowl, seems like a place that's flat enough and would have a retaining wall for the service road. It's hard to tell though because we can only see a snippet of Banshee, and my best guess is the part we can see is the first dive loop of the ride. Need more evidence.

• Like 1

So I've taken a lot of Saturdays off at work recently and I'm really, really trying not to do any more, and I have a Sunday in April I need off for a concert, so I probably won't be at Opening Day this year, much to my disappointment.  

Though, that means I can get acquainted with Mystic Timbers with a nice marathon. B) Fridays in May are the best. 

7 hours ago, Kenban said:

What I am fixated on is the retaining wall.  That is the same style as what was used to build the maintenance road next to Mystic Timbers.  How many of those can exist in the park?  I do not even remember any until Mystic Timbers which means I have completely missed it or it is not in an area of the park which is accessible to guests.

Yeah, Adventure Express has some as I mentioned in an earlier post, so... they possibly exist elsewhere at LEAST as far back as when Adventure Express was built. In the picture, they look at least as aged as the Adventure Express retaining walls look.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2017 at 9:38 AM, MDMC01 said:

Double-post (sorta...)

While driving to work, I saw Drop Tower's lift has gone down (I believe it usually is up during the offseason)... this either means they are putting it back together and/or testing! 51 days ya'll! :D

If I had to guess, they are doing checks and maintenance on that part to make sure it is ready for the ride to be put back together. Pretty soon we will start seeing things moving around in the park! 

• Like 5

I do not want to directly post the photo because it even admits it was taken with a drone.  I know the park and this site do not want photos from drones but the photo is fantastic and I would hate for people to miss it.

If you take a look at this thread on reddit they discuss and link to a really good photo of the park.  You can clearly see that the people who speculated the work being done next to timberwolf is related to the photo posted by KI entertainment are correct.

• Like 3

The drone pilot linked should be more aware of FAA regulations and who controls the airspace above the park. Generally any airspace to 80ft and up to 500ft is considered the landowners airspace and flying through it is trespassing. Kings Island likely controls a high amount due to their 300ft + tall towers and possibly over 500ft, not to mention there are likely FAA regulations in place for these kinds of places. Kings Island forbids the operation of drones anywhere over their property regardless of their point of origin.

• Like 3

I'm Genuinely surprised that no one has even mentioned anything about the Meal Plans in this Discussion. I am a Freshman in High School and Over the Summer and During the Haunt I went to Kings Island ALL THE TIME. Me and My Twin brother both have the meal plan and a All-Season Free-Refills Drink, and Its perfect, We go there and ride for free, and eat and drink for free. [I know my parents pay for It and that all sounded a little entitled] Those meal plans are an absolute steal. I would go to the haunt and when I got their, I would go to Chic-Fil-A and share some food with my friends because the servings you get for a meal are NOT small. Then right before we would leave we would get some more food. It was awesome. My family already ordered the Meal Plans again. What my point I am trying to get across here is, Its worth it 100%. :D

I am really looking forward to this season! I caved in and bought a gold pass this year for the first time since 2012. I am definitely going to be visiting the park a lot on the weekdays and hope to meet some fellow enthusiasts!

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Jamie Tommer said:

I'm Genuinely surprised that no one has even mentioned anything about the Meal Plans in this Discussion. I am a Freshman in High School and Over the Summer and During the Haunt I went to Kings Island ALL THE TIME. Me and My Twin brother both have the meal plan and a All-Season Free-Refills Drink, and Its perfect, We go there and ride for free, and eat and drink for free. [I know my parents pay for It and that all sounded a little entitled] Those meal plans are an absolute steal. I would go to the haunt and when I got their, I would go to Chic-Fil-A and share some food with my friends because the servings you get for a meal are NOT small. Then right before we would leave we would get some more food. It was awesome. My family already ordered the Meal Plans again. What my point I am trying to get across here is, Its worth it 100%. :D

6 hours ago, silver2005 said:

^Some of us have them, but there are also some of us who think (myself included) that the food quality and poor food service isn't worth that option.  

Yeah. I had the meal plan in 2014 and 2015, but the service and food quality went downhill fast. The final straw for me was when our group attempted to eat at Reds Grille on closing day of 2015, only to be told that it would be a multi-hour wait despite the fact that three-quarters of the tables were unoccupied, because they only had two servers and so they were only using about a dozen tables.

Financial issues prevented me from having a pass at all in 2016, but for 2017, I deliberately chose to get my pass without the dining plan. I will be adding on the drink plan on or around opening day, but no dining plan here. Unless I'm with a group that wants to eat in the park, I intend to leave the park and visit one of the many restaurants nearby that offer higher-quality food and better service for cheaper prices.

• Like 4

I had the meal plan for the first time last year and loved it. Some days early in the season it obviously lacked because they needed help to keep the lines down but it wasn't that big of a deal. Reds HoF worked out nicely for us with the kids as I could put in a reservation and come back later. 

I do find it a bit ridiculous to get so offended that they weren't using all of the tables with only two servers. There was obviously staffing issues for the last day and when you say stuff like that without looking at the whole picture you come of as an entitled brat. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

Yeah. I had the meal plan in 2014 and 2015, but the service and food quality went downhill fast. The final straw for me was when our group attempted to eat at Reds Grille on closing day of 2015, only to be told that it would be a multi-hour wait despite the fact that three-quarters of the tables were unoccupied, because they only had two servers and so they were only using about a dozen tables.

This wasn't just for closing day.  Maybe it's just me, but I noticed this throughout the spring and summer at there were usually some empty seats or areas.  We'd use this as a bit of a "park hack" if you will.  Step in on a hot day and relax in a vacant area, maybe watch an inning or two of a Reds game...get recharged so to speak, then marathon some more coasters.  They could care less and it was nice to get some a/c. 

• Like 1

I'm a frequent critic of KI foodservice, mostly about speed of service vs quality.  I think the dining plan is a tremendous value, but I just wish the park would at attack the issue. Even the most basic issue, like handling food after handling money should be a no brainer.  The other FUN parks seem to not have an issue with speed of service.

• Like 3

It is a deal, but the fact that people invest their day, their time and their $$ to go to KI, then spend hours waiting for food (looking at you, Panda Express, among others)....that is mind boggling to me.  I mean you have 8, maybe 10 hours to be there...?!  Grab a pizza slice and ride The Racer 4 or 5 times instead :) 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PKI96 said:

It is a deal, but the fact that people invest their day, their time and their $$ to go to KI, then spend hours waiting for food (looking at you, Panda Express, among others)....that is mind boggling to me.  I mean you have 8, maybe 10 hours to be there...?!  Grab a pizza slice and ride The Racer 4 or 5 times instead :) 

Saying hours (which I take as 2 or more) is stretching the truth for anything outside Reds on occasion. Even then they will text you when your table is ready so it is not like you are sitting there waiting, you can do other things.

I have been frustrated at Panda myself, but that wait was like 40 minutes not 2 hrs. I was in a CF park for 30 days last season and never waited 2 hrs for food. No one will take you serious by exaggerating the truth to that extent.

Since this thread is about 2017, lets talk about this coming season.  What other park improvements can we guess that have have not been mentioned by the park?

• Like 4

The longest I've seen Panda Express's line is just under an hour, when it stretched to the front doors of the Festhaus. Guests knew they were in for a wait joining a queue that long.

I'm hopeful that the new drink plans will speed up food lines in 2017; refilling souvenir cups takes a lot longer than grabbing paper cups.

• Like 3

Saying hours (which I take as 2 or more) is stretching the truth for anything outside Reds on occasion. Even then they will text you when your table is ready so it is not like you are sitting there waiting, you can do other things.
I have been frustrated at Panda myself, but that wait was like 40 minutes not 2 hrs. I was in a CF park for 30 days last season and never waited 2 hrs for food. No one will take you serious by exaggerating the truth to that extent.
Since this thread is about 2017, lets talk about this coming season.  What other park improvements can we guess that have have not been mentioned by the park?

2-3 servers and 2 cashiers at Panda? Not 1 server, 1 cashier and 4 cooks.