Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

Opening weekend last year, the wait for Panda Express was, literally, two hours at prime time. This was due in large part to the employees not being "worn in" yet, combined with large crowds. It was very annoying at the time (there's a reason "hangry" is a term that has caught on), but it fortunately was not a lasting problem as the season progressed. 

I'm generally pleased with the plan, but like most things at KI, I purposefully avoid times when things get busy. My worry this season is still that RHoFG and Rivertown Potato Works are thus far missing from the website pages listing what meals/restaurants are included. Taking out two available restaurants, and only adding one in return, partway into the season when Soak City opens, is going to make lines at all the other restaurants longer. I'm still hoping they won't actually be removed when it comes down to it, but so far the park has been cagey about questions. 

• Like 3

I hate to say it but I feel like RHoFG has largely been a failure.  I would love for the park to just change it over to more of a casual restaurant where you order at a register and are given a puck.  Then when it vibrates you just get up and pick up your food.  The food is fantastic but leaving half the restaurant empty is just pointless.  I would also be completely for splitting the restaurant in half, where one side still has table service and the other does not.  But if the park cannot manage to figure out how to staff the restaurant maybe it is time to change the restaurant.

• Like 4

I've been mostly pleased at RHoFG, but they seem woefully understaffed most of the time, which seems to echo at most of the locations.  I am no foodservice guru, but it seems that when you are understaffed, the existing staff becomes demoralized, which leads to a spiral. 

That being said, I think things are slowly improving, albeit at a snail's pace.

• Like 4

I don't understand why KI wouldn't look to an outside consulting company to fix it.  They clearly need to and they should be able to afford to with the amount of money they make from that grill.  I'm sure there could even be some outside chains willing to put a location in there and run it.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jtro223 said:

I'm a frequent critic of KI foodservice, mostly about speed of service vs quality.  I think the dining plan is a tremendous value, but I just wish the park would at attack the issue. Even the most basic issue, like handling food after handling money should be a no brainer.  The other FUN parks seem to not have an issue with speed of service.

Cedar Point's food service is far worse than Kings Island's.  Carowinds seemd to be on par with KI as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

Cedar Point's food service is far worse than Kings Island's.  Carowinds seemd to be on par with KI as far as I'm concerned.

I do like Cedar Point's chain restaurants, but the rest of Cedar Point's food is terrible. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

^Then you haven't tried Harmony Hall because the local food critics rave about the food choices and dietary options. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/food-drink/article9146828.html 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KingsMills79 said:

^Then you haven't tried Harmony Hall because the local food critics rave about the food choices and dietary options. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/food-drink/article9146828.html 

I did eat at Harmony Hall.  The food was mediocre, the lines VERY long.  Have you tried it yourself?

12 hours ago, APE said:

I do find it a bit ridiculous to get so offended that they weren't using all of the tables with only two servers. There was obviously staffing issues for the last day and when you say stuff like that without looking at the whole picture you come of as an entitled brat. 

What I'm offended at is not that they weren't using all the tables (I understand that given the lack of servers). My beef is with the fact they only had two servers to begin with. They told us that multiple people called off, and I assume that either they couldn't get anyone to come in, or they didn't even try to call someone in. Either way, that reeks of mismanagement. In the latter case, directly, in the sense that the manager should have called other workers to try to get someone to come in. In the former case, the fact that the employees didn't give enough of a **** to bother coming in and earning a paycheck on the last day of operation suggests that they just wanted to get the hell out of there, which in turn suggests that the place was being managed in such a way that the employees didn't feel valued.

Take it from someone currently working for barely over minimum wage at Kroger: There's a lot of things about my job that I hate, but I still have a smile on my face while serving customers and put effort into doing a good job, because our managers treat us well and appreciate us for what we do. Would I be the same way if management was rude to us and treated us as if we were nothing more than tools that drained their profits every payday? Hell no. I'd get the **** out of there as fast as I could. Bottom line: style of management has a HUGE impact on the employees' attitude toward their jobs.

On closing day 2015, not only did that show in an ugly way, but that experience, along with others, suggests to me that (mis)management is the root cause of the food service issues. Don't blame it on the front line workers; blame it on management.

• Like 3

^I can second that working at Skyline.  I think part of it is lack of tips working a full service restaurant which the meal plans incentivizes not leaving tips because you're not paying at the actual restaurant.  I don't think a full service restaurant should be on a meal plan of any kind.  Good servers make bank on tips.  I've seen waitresses at Skyline pull in a few hundred dollars on busy days from tips.  Why work at Kings Island when you can go down the street at Outback or Blue Ash Chili and haul in money?  I don't see why a good server would work at KI given the alternatives.  I bet a lot of those waitresses and waiters are doing it for the first time.   

Going on a tangent, for a full service restaurant, the selection is pretty limited.  Sure, it's better than most of the rest of the park, but KI is a pretty low bar to get over in terms of food.  Having eaten actual Montgomery Inn food at the original location and the boathouse downtown, its not quite up there, but its a closer margin of error than KI's representation of LaRosa's (which, the Reds, Coney Island, and the Cincinnati Zoo get LaRosa's much better, the Reds even offer calzones).  When it was WINGS under Paramount, they got Montgomery Inn down a lot better. 

I don't know what in the world KI does to the LaRosa's sauce and baking, but they do it completely wrong. 

At least they get Skyline and Graeter's right...

• Like 3

^^ With only two servers showing up, they probably should have closed that location early and sent employees elsewhere. It's hard to draw conclusions looking at Closing Day staffing levels at a seasonal park.

^ The menus noted that dining plans don't include gratuity, but many diners likely ignored it or didn't have cash. Some KIC members carried cash at the park solely for Reds Grille tips.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2017 at 1:36 PM, teenageninja said:

I did eat at Harmony Hall.  The food was mediocre, the lines VERY long.  Have you tried it yourself?

Yes, Carowinds is my home park. I have had most all of the food options there during multiple visits but my ABSOLUTE favorite is the Smoked BBQ pork. ($11.99 in 2016) The pork is slowly smoked in their own custom smoker before being shredded and you can pair it with three (I believe) different sauces. The meal includes the choice of side of which I always get the homemade Mac n Cheese. (It;s so good it will make you slap your grandma:D) The other sides ore OK,  but I have had the broccoli salad in lieu of the mac n cheese when they've sold out. (It goes quickly) The other meal option I recommend is the BBQ ribs. Again, you won't find these kind of food options at a SF park, and it is a welcome (refreshing) change from a simple Chicken tender & fries basket you find at most parks these days. 

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience at HH. Yes, the lines are long during peak hours but I trust if you visit Carowinds in the future you might give Harmony Hall another chance  based on the above recommendations as they really do cater to the customer.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, silver2005 said:

^I can second that working at Skyline.  I think part of it is lack of tips working a full service restaurant which the meal plans incentivizes not leaving tips because you're not paying at the actual restaurant.  I don't think a full service restaurant should be on a meal plan of any kind.  Good servers make bank on tips.  I've seen waitresses at Skyline pull in a few hundred dollars on busy days from tips.  Why work at Kings Island when you can go down the street at Outback or Blue Ash Chili and haul in money?  I don't see why a good server would work at KI given the alternatives.  I bet a lot of those waitresses and waiters are doing it for the first time.   

Going on a tangent, for a full service restaurant, the selection is pretty limited.  Sure, it's better than most of the rest of the park, but KI is a pretty low bar to get over in terms of food.  Having eaten actual Montgomery Inn food at the original location and the boathouse downtown, its not quite up there, but its a closer margin of error than KI's representation of LaRosa's (which, the Reds, Coney Island, and the Cincinnati Zoo get LaRosa's much better, the Reds even offer calzones).  When it was WINGS under Paramount, they got Montgomery Inn down a lot better. 

I don't know what in the world KI does to the LaRosa's sauce and baking, but they do it completely wrong. 

At least they get Skyline and Graeter's right...

I respectably Disagree, I have been one time to the Reds Hall of Fame Grill, We waited maybe 45 minutes, and the serving sizes were decently Big. We used our Meal Plans, but at the end still tipped the waiter, as the atmosphere of it being a real restaurant made it feel wrong to not do so. As for Skyline, You walk through a line to get your food, it inst brought to you, If have rarely if never seen anyone tip the workers there since there is really No one to tip....

• Like 1

Opening weekend last year, the wait for Panda Express was, literally, two hours at prime time. This was due in large part to the employees not being "worn in" yet, combined with large crowds. It was very annoying at the time (there's a reason "hangry" is a term that has caught on), but it fortunately was not a lasting problem as the season progressed. 
I'm generally pleased with the plan, but like most things at KI, I purposefully avoid times when things get busy. My worry this season is still that RHoFG and Rivertown Potato Works are thus far missing from the website pages listing what meals/restaurants are included. Taking out two available restaurants, and only adding one in return, partway into the season when Soak City opens, is going to make lines at all the other restaurants longer. I'm still hoping they won't actually be removed when it comes down to it, but so far the park has been cagey about questions. 

If they add Tom and chee, then it's like adding 1.5 in return (0.5 for Soak City).

I'd personally round that up to 2 because both the bbq and Tom add menu items that completely didn't exist on the meal plan before (vs red and potato works which basically had more burgers and chicken strips as the meal plan option).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Tom + Chee (if it comes back, and I'm definitely not counting on that since nothing has been said) may or may not be on the meal plan (when it showed up it was supposed to be added to dining "soon" which turned to "maybe next season" after a few weeks), and it replaced a location that used to be on the meal plan. So it's pretty much an even trade if it comes back and is on the plan, and possibly another location loss if it either has been removed or decides not to implement the plan. I agree that having unique offerings does make it a more worthwhile addition to the plan, if it is added. 

• Like 3

Concrete flat work takes little time.  It can be poured in a day and ready for foot traffic in a couple of days.  This is usually one of the later things done on projects so that the concrete isn`t damaged by the heavy equipment used elsewhere on the site.

• Like 7