Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

I'm always worried about losing or damaging my phone in the park, but that's how I take pictures. How do you guys safely store your phone? Even a thick case won't protect it from falling out of your pocket on a coaster!

• Like 3

I have a wallet case that I can put my phone into while it is also "wearing" its normal protective case. In addition to keeping my cards and money, the wallet offers extra screen protection, plus I put it in my pocket with the screen facing my leg. I wear men's cargo pants or shorts, so I have enough room in my (buttoned) pockets to slide the whole thing. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, KatieF said:

I'm always worried about losing or damaging my phone in the park, but that's how I take pictures. How do you guys safely store your phone? Even a thick case won't protect it from falling out of your pocket on a coaster!

I looked up how much those running belts are. There's one that's $28 on Amazon, but I found another one just like it for only $13. I'm totally getting that cause my sister had one last year at KI and she said it's really comfortable and nice. Even though they're called "running belts", still pretty nice thing to have at an amusement park without using a bag or getting a locker.

Also I'm really hoping Mystic Timbers starts testing soon. I'm so excited to see those trains put together and on track!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, vermillionlove said:

I think it's time for me to find some good cargo shorts :P i've also seen people mention running belts as a good way to store keys, wallet etc.

I'm having a hard time finding shorts with pockets that close with zippers. I'd rather have zippers than buttons/velcro. I've found one pair at Walmart, has one pocket with a zipper but it's not deep enough and if I were to put my phone to the side, it's not wide enough.

• Like 4

Here are some products I've used for different reasons.

https://www.amazon.com/NEW-Running-Buddy-XL-Pouch/dp/B00PUO6KCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490040763&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=running+pouch&psc=1

This one I use when I go running. It's a little pouch that magnetically goes around the waistband of your pants/shorts. It's perfect for holding a phone and some cards. It's also nice because it's not an entire belt, so you can move it to wherever you want it to sit. One con is if you're wearing shorts that aren't tight around the waist, it can pull down in that area (like running shorts without a tied drawstring). Also, if your phone has a really big case, it might need to come off. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hopsooken-Travel-Money-Belt-Comfortable/dp/B014KF9PMO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490040832&sr=8-4&keywords=money+belt+travel

I used one of these when I went to Europe because of all of the pick pockets. It's a super comfortable belt and could hold a lot and still fit under a shirt so that it didn't look too conspicuous. 

But when I go to the parks, I still just go with my cargo shorts.

• Like 3

I'm having a hard time finding shorts with pockets that close with zippers. I'd rather have zippers than buttons/velcro. I've found one pair at Walmart, has one pocket with a zipper but it's not deep enough and if I were to put my phone to the side, it's not wide enough.

Have you checked JCP, I know the JCP I go to have some nice Lee Cargo shorts with zippers and they are thin, so they would be cool in the summer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PKIVortex said:

Have you checked JCP, I know the JCP I go to have some nice Lee Cargo shorts with zippers and they are thin, so they would be cool in the summer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes, I've been checking our stock almost daily and we've not received any with zippers that I have seen.

• Like 1

Chugh43, have you considered having someone replace the button flaps on the pockets with a zipper? If you know someone who sews or take it to a sewing shop, it's not difficult to do and usually costs little more than the cost of the zipper. I've seen this done by an experience sewer on pair of carhart cargo pants and it took her no time to attach the zippers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, johnaalexis said:

Chugh43, have you considered having someone replace the button flaps on the pockets with a zipper? If you know someone who sews or take it to a sewing shop, it's not difficult to do and usually costs little more than the cost of the zipper. I've seen this done by an experience sewer on pair of carhart cargo pants and it took her no time to attach the zippers.

I have not....I'm actually kind of hoping to have something this weekend. I've got a pair from Walmart I got a few years ago with one zipper pocket but I'm not sure it'll actually hold both my phone and my battery.

• Like 2

I'm fairly experienced with sewing but I don't find adding a zipper a simple thing. I haven't bothered to do it with any of my cargos because it is such a pain in the butt. 

Maybe a tailor who is getting paid, but I wouldn't suggest asking a family member who just likes to sew (unless you want them to kind of hate you ;))

Since I try to keep the stuff in my pockets from being individually too small, I have never had any problem with stuff trying to escape from my two-buttoned flap pockets. 

• Like 4

I hate to admit this but I've had the same 2 pairs of cargo shorts for 5 years. Very deep pockets to my knees which my keys hit them and Velcro cargo pockets which I keep my iPhone and glasses case for my specs and putting my girlfriends phone and eye drops and comb because coasters mess her hair up.

• Like 2

I'm fairly experienced with sewing but I don't find adding a zipper a simple thing. I haven't bothered to do it with any of my cargos because it is such a pain in the butt. 
Maybe a tailor who is getting paid, but I wouldn't suggest asking a family member who just likes to sew (unless you want them to kind of hate you ;))
Since I try to keep the stuff in my pockets from being individually too small, I have never had any problem with stuff trying to escape from my two-buttoned flap pockets. 

My grandmother did it lol I swear she's a sewing fairy godmother lol she did them on my dads Carhart pants because he was loosing his phone, pens etc but she worked in a dress shop for 20+ years so that's probably why she's such a wiz lol

• Like 3

Bins are disappearing from ride stations. CP has been not putting bins on new rides and some have been removed that previously had bins. I would expect other parks to follow suit. But I never bring anything that would need to be stored. I never bought that annoying souvenir bottle for that reason since after you pay for lockers, you really don't save any money. That new season drink plan is great!

• Like 4

yeah, I am a-okay with the bins disappearing. I was often so paranoid about things being stolen from there that it never seemed worth it. I'll be interested to see what people do with their game prizes during rides then. The giant banana seems fun till you want a nighttime ride on The Beast.

• Like 6

For me, I'm really on the fence of the bins getting removed. At first, I didn't mind that maybe a pack of candy could (or something small) get stolen. But know since my parents have purchased for us an Unlimited Refill cup my worry has increased. I have read stories where some people have put their cups in bins and for them to return to the station with their cup nowhere in sight. So in about 23 days I need to make a decision on what I'm doing, Do you guys have any advice?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KatieF said:

yeah, I am a-okay with the bins disappearing. I was often so paranoid about things being stolen from there that it never seemed worth it. I'll be interested to see what people do with their game prizes during rides then. The giant banana seems fun till you want a nighttime ride on The Beast.

One of my old phones was stolen from Diamondback's bins, I never put my phone or anything important in them anymore as lesson learned.

1 hour ago, Xdog42 said:

For me, I'm really on the fence of the bins getting removed. At first, I didn't mind that maybe a pack of candy could (or something small) get stolen. But know since my parents have purchased for us an Unlimited Refill cup my worry has increased. I have read stories where some people have put their cups in bins and for them to return to the station with their cup nowhere in sight. So in about 23 days I need to make a decision on what I'm doing, Do you guys have any advice?

New this year is the season pass drink plan. Instead of getting the physical cup, you can just activate this plan on your pass and then get a disposable cup every 15 minutes.

• Like 3

On 3/22/2017 at 0:58 AM, KatieF said:

That's exactly why I don't play most games! lol I don't want to have to fight whatever I win all day 

• Like 4

I visited with my Uncle and his wife once and He played the basketball game by Racer countless times, winning a ton of prizes and he just passed them out to kids on the midway. The children were thrilled and the parents we less excited to say the least lol 

• Like 3