Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

13 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

I see videos of other parks like Dollywood etc.. and I always get wondering what a day at KI would be like without tons of Pop music.. or at least lower volume music.. I'd love to hear the real atmosphere of the place

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I don't mind it in some spots of the park. Heck, "Boom Clap", "Brave", "Happy" now all make me think of the FunTV's at KI!

• Like 5

One of my memories from 40 years ago was waiting for park employees to remove the rope holding all of us back just before the park opening.... and listening to the National Anthem.  I am proud that to this day, it is still a staple for the CF parks.

• Like 10

I vaguely remember "C'mon Get Happy" and "Happy Days are Here Again" but nothing after that.

Tried to YouTube but got no results. 

It's interesting that Taft Broadcasting opened KI in 72 then Carowinds in 73 yet KI does not have a "themed" song from the original opening season.

Makes me wonder if KD ever had one. 

• Like 1

Im usually fine with the music but i think it needs more variety to prevent repetitiveness. Last season nearly every time i got in line for racer, the pre station FunTVs were almost always playing the nae nae, my friend and i would always joke about how it would for certain be on the TV when we got there, and more often than not it was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, calakapepe said:

I see videos of other parks like Dollywood etc.. and I always get wondering what a day at KI would be like without tons of Pop music.. or at least lower volume music.. I'd love to hear the real atmosphere of the place

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That's why I liked the film score medleys of the Paramount era. Amusement parks are escapism, like films. It made the park feel magical and exciting and different from everywhere else you go. I don't like hearing the same crap I hear everywhere else. Because they are songs you literally hear everywhere.  

P.S. I understand the politics behind it and the why of it. It just is annoying to me. I can still hear that Kings of Leon song playing in my head from hearing it so much at the park. That's not the memory I like to take home from KI. x_x  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, KatieF said:

Question-- do they play music at Haunt?

FunTV plays various songs in the line queues, somewhat relevant to the season. For example, they play CCR's I Put a Spell On You. Throughout the park, you hear pieces from various horror and Halloween related films, such as the original Poltergeist, Beetlejuice, Independence Day, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and a couple of others. (I am a film score buff lol )

IMO, it's the best time of year for KI's music, because it helps give the park so much atmosphere and adds to the escapism. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Joshua said:

FunTV plays various songs in the line queues, somewhat relevant to the season. For example, they play CCR's I Put a Spell On You. Throughout the park, you hear pieces from various horror and Halloween related films, such as the original Poltergeist, Beetlejuice, Independence Day, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and a couple of others. (I am a film score buff lol )

IMO, it's the best time of year for KI's music, because it helps give the park so much atmosphere and adds to the escapism. 

I like that!! 

Even just adjusting how much pop music is played would help. Play it everywhere except Oktoberfest and Rivertown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KatieF said:

I like that!! 

Even just adjusting how much pop music is played would help. Play it everywhere except Oktoberfest and Rivertown.

I think a little variety would go a long way. I definitely think those two areas could use their own style of music. In fact, I'll add Coney Mall to the list, as well. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Joshua said:

I think a little variety would go a long way. I definitely think those two areas could use their own style of music. In fact, I'll add Coney Mall to the list, as well. 

International Street needs its own style as well. Nothing compliments the Royal Fountain and Eiffel Tower quite like pop music...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

International Street needs its own style as well. Nothing compliments the Royal Fountain and Eiffel Tower quite like pop music...

Definitely needs some French style music to fit with the French vibe the area gives off. It would enhance the experience so much!

• Like 2

Why doesn't Kings Island have section-specific music like Kings Dominion does? What's been keeping Kings Island from having that?

I don't mind the pop music here at KI, but I loved the diversity of music I heard at Kings Dominion when I visited five years ago. I still remember it vividly.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, AndrewAnto86@gmail.com said:

Hey everyone, I've never been to KI before and I'm planning on going on a Sunday in early May or even that last Sunday in April. Just wondering what to expect in terms of crowd sizes for those days. Thanks!

The crowds are usually pretty light on early season Sundays, especially close to closing time.  If it is a nice day, there may be a good crowd, but not anything like you would see after schools out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

Why doesn't Kings Island have section-specific music like Kings Dominion does? What's been keeping Kings Island from having that?

It's probably not a priority. They think the pop music appeals to younger people. It probably does, though I doubt they'd rush out of the park and never come back if they played something else. I don't think any of us would, because very few people go to amusement parks for music. It's just fun to dream of better music at the park, that's all. Of course, the park does have better music, last I've experienced, at least. It's just exclusive to The Racer's cue. ;)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Joshua said:

It's probably not a priority. They think the pop music appeals to younger people. It probably does, though I doubt they'd rush out of the park and never come back if they played something else. I don't think any of us would, because very few people go to amusement parks for music. It's just fun to dream of better music at the park, that's all. Of course, the park does have better music, last I've experienced, at least. It's just exclusive to The Racer's cue. ;)

I recall one of The Racer ride op's saying something like "the song's you hear here are as old as this ride" or something along that line last year.  I couldn't tell if he was being complimentary to the (better) Racer music or just making a joke.  Either way, I chuckled. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

Check out our site store. We have a couple pairs that are all zipper pockets. They are also quick drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't mind paying for them I found an awesome pair of basketball style shorts with a cargo zipper pocket at Foot Action.  They are under armor brand and I think they were $50.00.  I love wearing basketball shorts at the park but generally the pockets on them are horrible with things falling out so I couldnt pass these up.