Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

As much as I like the style of those handrails ^, and hope they get to stay, I'm really surprised those were approved for use.  People are constantly sitting/climbing/leaning on every handrail of any ride I've ever stood in line for.

• Like 5

When I was getting in line for MT, just before I saw this, I say a group of four teenage boys being held by KI security and then as we exited and began walking to Beast I say the same group of boys and one very angry momma who was very red in the face. She was so angry she scared me lol and I didn't do anything. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, KatieF said:

Unfortunately I'm dying to ride Mystic Timbers and happen to have the weekend off with my boyfriend. We'll see I guess.

If you guys get there super early, where you are waiting in line to park, and book it the entire time, you might be able to get a fast ride on Mystic Timbers. This past Saturday, we were able to get on MT within 5 minutes. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately I'm dying to ride Mystic Timbers and happen to have the weekend off with my boyfriend. We'll see I guess.

This past Saturday we arrived to the parking gate at 8:06 and rode Mystic Timbers at 9:31 if you are able to do Gold pass Early Ride time.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joshua said:

If you guys get there super early, where you are waiting in line to park, and book it the entire time, you might be able to get a fast ride on Mystic Timbers. This past Saturday, we were able to get on MT within 5 minutes. 

Maybe 70%-90% chance of rain and a high in the upper 50s will up those chances. 

Anyone planning on going to the park this weekend?

1 hour ago, Jr for Birdy said:

I'll be there if it's going to be cold and rainy. Sunny and warm and I'm not going anywhere near the park unless I break down and get a Fast Lane Plus, but I usually only get one for the 4th of July.

Cold and rainy on Saturday! I've never been to the park when I have to wear a hoodie before

If it's raining hard, I look down and/or use my hand to block some of the rain from hitting my eyes. This strategy might not work for people who wear contacts or prescription glasses.

Personally, I think coasters are better in the rain. As a bonus, lines are shorter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KatieF said:

What do you guys recommend for clothing on rainy days? It's supposed to be cool Saturday 

In my opinion base layer clothing should not be any different than when it is 98F and sunny.   

#1 Outdoorsman Rule: Cotton Kills

So:

1. Wool socks.  Wool cannot hold nearly as much water as cotton so keep your feet dryer.  Your feet stay warmer in cold and cooler in the heat with wool.  Additionally you can get several days wear out of them without the stink.  

2. Synthetic clothing even underwear.  Drys much quicker than cotton.  Some even wear wool underwear but I haven't gone that far yet.   Wear jeans at your own peril.  We all wear cargo shorts anyway.  Amirite?

3. Cheap Dollar Store poncho in pocket.  Maybe a rain jacket if you don't mind lugging it around.  Maybe stash a wool sweater in car/locker.

4. Footwear: Trail Runners.  Ones that are designed for hiking/backpacking and are leather or synthetic and are designed with excellent drainage are best.   Perfect for water rides as well.  Most backpackers have moved to this type of shoe unless they are carrying extremely heavy packs or are on very technical trails.  

5. Wide brimmed hat.  Helps keep water out of eyes, synthetic floppy hat can fold up and go in cargo shorts on rides.  

Pricey but good sources: Duluth Trading Co., REI, Cabellas, Bass Pro etc.  I tend to find Dick's all about fashion over function.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, KatieF said:

Since it's so rainy on Saturday, does the park ever close because of attendance or weather?

I know Six Flags does that sometimes, but the only time I recall Cedar Fair ever closing a park early is if the power goes out or if their water line breaks (Cedar Point.)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rhyano said:

I know Six Flags does that sometimes, but the only time I recall Cedar Fair ever closing a park early is if the power goes out or if their water line breaks (Cedar Point.)

I don't THINK they will Saturday, especially just because it's rain,

Not sure what the policy is now, but back in 2008 my wife and I decided to go out to KI for a few on a Friday evening.  As we were walking up to the entrance, there were a couple of employees waiting there to talk to us.  They told us that KI was closed due to low attendance that day.  We were pretty surprised since we had never seen that happen before.  It had been raining that day also, but had cleared up by the time we got there.

What they will do is start shutting down shops, food stands, carts and such.  You will still be able to eat and drink just slimmer choices.   Keep in mind being chilly or wet is fine, being chilly AND wet is rather unpleasant.   NOAA is now calling for a high of 55F,  if it falls any further or wind speed picks up I would seriously think twice about it especially if you are buying a ticket versus a pass.  

On 4/19/2017 at 1:48 PM, King Ding Dong said:

In my opinion base layer clothing should not be any different than when it is 98F and sunny.   

#1 Outdoorsman Rule: Cotton Kills

So:

1. Wool socks.  Wool cannot hold nearly as much water as cotton so keep your feet dryer.  Your feet stay warmer in cold and cooler in the heat with wool.  Additionally you can get several days wear out of them without the stink.  

2. Synthetic clothing even underwear.  Drys much quicker than cotton.  Some even wear wool underwear but I haven't gone that far yet.   Wear jeans at your own peril.  We all wear cargo shorts anyway.  Amirite?

3. Cheap Dollar Store poncho in pocket.  Maybe a rain jacket if you don't mind lugging it around.  Maybe stash a wool sweater in car/locker.

4. Footwear: Trail Runners.  Ones that are designed for hiking/backpacking and are leather or synthetic and are designed with excellent drainage are best.   Perfect for water rides as well.  Most backpackers have moved to this type of shoe unless they are carrying extremely heavy packs or are on very technical trails.  

5. Wide brimmed hat.  Helps keep water out of eyes, synthetic floppy hat can fold up and go in cargo shorts on rides.  

Pricey but good sources: Duluth Trading Co., REI, Cabellas, Bass Pro etc.  I tend to find Dick's all about fashion over function.  

That is, unless you're malem. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Voicetek said:

Not sure what the policy is now, but back in 2008 my wife and I decided to go out to KI for a few on a Friday evening.  As we were walking up to the entrance, there were a couple of employees waiting there to talk to us.  They told us that KI was closed due to low attendance that day.  We were pretty surprised since we had never seen that happen before.  It had been raining that day also, but had cleared up by the time we got there.

I would be really surprised to see the park close. I was there on a day last year were there couldn't have been more than 750-1000 people in the park, but they were open the whole time

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, malem said:

It's rare for Kings Island to close for weather; they try to keep the park open if possible. Case in point:

That's awesome.   Fireworks like that are not cheap.  KI probably could have comped Platinum passes and a fistful of FL+ to those dozen people and saved money.  

• Like 3