Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

8 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

They haven't been routing through the Crypt since opening weekend, that I've noticed, so they've been sending ERT traffic to the first right after Graeters (by Boo Blasters). Diamondback is also on ERT. 

Taking the day off next Friday.  Coming down for our first ERT of the season!!

• Like 3

Does a retweet by Kings Island of a selfie post on a coaster that someone posted imply that KI is okay with cameras out on the ride despite the announcement and postings?  I am sure an attorney would make good use of that argument when a suit is filed at some point for a flying camera disfiguring someone.  Otherwise why have the rule if it isn't enforced?

Another question - should KI ban people that post these pics?  It would put a stop to it or at least make people think twice about posting pics taken in violation of park policy.  And let's face it, it would be easy for the park to know if he is a passholder (name is given lol).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Does a retweet by Kings Island of a selfie post on a coaster that someone posted imply that KI is okay with cameras out on the ride despite the announcement and postings?  I am sure an attorney would make good use of that argument when a suit is filed at some point for a flying camera disfiguring someone.  Otherwise why have the rule if it isn't enforced?

Another question - should KI ban people that post these pics?  It would put a stop to it or at least make people think twice about posting pics taken in violation of park policy.  And let's face it, it would be easy for the park to know if he is a passholder (name is given lol).

I think intent matters. In this picture, it's obviously at the end of the ride waiting to come back to the station. Now if it's at the top of the life hill or mid course on Diamondback, then it's a different story. I do wonder though how many people drop there phones doing things like this, and then get mad at the park for not stopping everything and getting their stuff lol

A lot of people take pictures on the breaks outside the station. I honestly don't have a problem with it but I completely understand how it can be an issue for the park. By retweeting it I feel like the park would encourage that behavior. Better taking the picture outside the station rather than on the lift hill but it's still technically part of the ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coca-ColaParking said:

I think intent matters. In this picture, it's obviously at the end of the ride waiting to come back to the station. Now if it's at the top of the life hill or mid course on Diamondback, then it's a different story. I do wonder though how many people drop there phones doing things like this, and then get mad at the park for not stopping everything and getting their stuff lol

Actually that picture is at the bottom/beginning of the lift hill!  You can see part of Surf Dog in the background which wouldn't be possible from the end of the ride - Surf Dog would be in front of you.  Plus looking left from where the photo was taken (right side of this pic) you are looking at the employee back lot area - at the end of the ride you would be looking into the park not the employee back lot area.

But this is just one example that happened to be the most recent.  Other photos taken in violation of park policy have been retweeted or reposted on Facebook before...

Taken to the extreme though, its all these types of little violations that will one day force parks to not allow people in line with anything in their pocket.  Especially after a lawsuit with the flying phone...

• Like 6

7 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Actually that picture is at the bottom/beginning of the lift hill!  You can see part of Surf Dog in the background which wouldn't be possible from the end of the ride - Surf Dog would be in front of you.  Plus looking left from where the photo was taken (right side of this pic) you are looking at the employee back lot area - at the end of the ride you would be looking into the park not the employee back lot area.

But this is just one example that happened to be the most recent.  Other photos taken in violation of park policy have been retweeted or reposted on Facebook before...

Taken to the extreme though, its all these types of little violations that will one day force parks to not allow people in line with anything in their pocket.  Especially after a lawsuit with the flying phone...

Talk about flying phones, I was on the ride with a friend and saw a phone fly out of someone's hand on Diamondback. Fortunately, it was on the second hill, so it flew away from the riders.

• Like 1

I just saw my first commercial for Mystic Timbers on my local station.  Well done overall, but they did take quite a bit of artistic license.  What I thought was very funny was that I used the DVR to rewatch and following the commercial for Kings Island was a commercial for Kings Gardens--a local plant nursery!

• Like 2

On 5/6/2017 at 10:05 AM, gforce1994 said:

Talk about flying phones, I was on the ride with a friend and saw a phone fly out of someone's hand on Diamondback. Fortunately, it was on the second hill, so it flew away from the riders.

2 or 3 years ago I was riding Magnum and as we were going down a hill I saw this phone just seem to float up and out of the train.  Someone a few rows behind me was able to grab it out of the air and returned it to the owner who was 2 or 3 rows in front of me once the train returned to the station.

What most people seem to not realize about phones and other objects dropped during a ride is that they will tend to continue in the same direction at basically the same rate of speed.  So loose objects tend to not really be a danger to other people on the train.  The majority of the danger is to people in other trains, on the ground, etc.  

On 5/10/2017 at 9:39 PM, malem said:

In ~36 hours, daily operations will be underway at Kings Island.

I've never been the first week of daily operations and am going Tuesday. Does anyone know if it's usually busy or not? I know it's hard to predict and many things can affect that. I'm just curious. 

To those who were at the park yesterday(Friday May 12), what were the food trucks like. I'll be going this coming Friday and I'm curious what they'll have around.

I presume naturally none of the trucks fall under the meal plans as they are outside operators.

21 minutes ago, DMann1979 said:

To those who were at the park yesterday(Friday May 12), what were the food trucks like. I'll be going this coming Friday and I'm curious what they'll have around.

I presume naturally none of the trucks fall under the meal plans as they are outside operators.

Yesterday, the trucks were: BBQ (2), Burgers/Grilled Cheese, Sushi, Shaved Ice, Philly Cheesesteak.  We bought a 1/4 lb pulled pork sandwich from Jon Jon's and it was amazing!!  I believe the trucks change each Friday.  They are not under the meal plan, but do accept credit cards.  I would advise if you are eating lunch, get it around 11 or so.  We ate then and walked right up.  At about 1, every food truck had a line of at least 20 people.  Enjoy your day next Friday.  Just be warned Coasterstock as well as Education Days will be taking place.

• Like 1

Constructive criticism is fine, but vague statements that this is terrible and another service is bad is not really helpful. Those comments could be interpreted in 100 different ways. We are a group of KI's biggest fans and can sometimes be critical of the park. Know they are reading and listening, but they will not take any criticism serious if we are posting vague and irritated posts.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

Yesterday, the trucks were: BBQ (2), Burgers/Grilled Cheese, Sushi, Shaved Ice, Philly Cheesesteak.  We bought a 1/4 lb pulled pork sandwich from Jon Jon's and it was amazing!!  I believe the trucks change each Friday.  They are not under the meal plan, but do accept credit cards.  I would advise if you are eating lunch, get it around 11 or so.  We ate then and walked right up.  At about 1, every food truck had a line of at least 20 people.  Enjoy your day next Friday.  Just be warned Coasterstock as well as Education Days will be taking place.

Thanks. I checked the park website and saw the listing for this Friday's trucks. I have a Gold Pass, just going to meet with my best friend. She's bringing her two young nephews and the older of the two is 9 and big enough for the larger rides. But no one in his family (even his Dad) likes coasters so I told her I'd gladly take him on Beast, Mystic Timbers etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DMann1979 said:

We ate dinner around 6pm and the only one with a line was the East Coast one with philly cheese steaks which is the one we wanted to eat at. My friend got steak and I got a chicken one. Both amazing and hawaiian snow for dessert was great too. The prices weren't too outrageous compared to normal KI food. Also the owner of the one told us they normally have soda but KI wouldn't allow them to sell any... which was unfortunate because we purposely left our drink cups in the car. The other food truck did have sweet tea but was already sold out of eveything else.

Pulled kids from school, and took the family to the park today.  Good times---we got a lot of rides in, and a lot of sun.  An "Educational Day", most of the guests today were teenagers.  We have the dining plan, and "upgraded" our drink plan to disposable cups today.  Ended up at Burger King for lunch, though---most of the food service locations were not operating today, and the Festhaus line was massive as result.  That was a bit of a bummer, but we've never been to the park this early in the season on a week-day...probably should have known better?  Fortunately, the low wait-times for rides more than made up for the slight inconvenience in food & drink service.

• Like 1

I love Facebook memories!  This is a post from three years ago that started my "enthusiast" journey.  I had enjoyed parks and coasters before this, but getting to ride The Beast multiple times was such a rush.  And to think that the employees that day made all the difference.  This day changed my life!

I had a great time at Kings Island. It was cold and miserable and the employees had to wear shorts, but they all smiled, were cheerful and seemed genuinely happy. That goes a long way. It was great going on a "slow" day when you can walk right up to any ride. I was able to ride The Beast probably twelve times. I don't think my stomach can handle the new ride, Banshee, but Jenny braved it and Delerium without me. It's so great to be blessed with friends like Jenny who you can just be stupid and weird with.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

Pulled kids from school, and took the family to the park today.  Good times---we got a lot of rides in, and a lot of sun.  An "Educational Day", most of the guests today were teenagers.  We have the dining plan, and "upgraded" our drink plan to disposable cups today.  Ended up at Burger King for lunch, though---most of the food service locations were not operating today, and the Festhaus line was massive as result.  That was a bit of a bummer, but we've never been to the park this early in the season on a week-day...probably should have known better?  Fortunately, the low wait-times for rides more than made up for the slight inconvenience in food & drink service.

Oh man, you got me thinking...how do I convince the misses (and myself, lol) to take my 2 oldest out of school for a day before school lets out?  An empty park sounds awesome right now!

• Like 1

FunPix is a pretty sweet deal.  We no longer dodge the photographers when we first arrive.  I hope the park is making some good money on it, because our family loves all the different photo-ops, backgrounds, and such that they have set up.  Totally worth it.

8 hours ago, JCoaster25 said:

Hey guys! For anyone that is interested, I've just completed a very in-depth review of The Beast on my blog. Feel free to check it out here!

The Beast REVIEW: Still the most radically unique wooden coaster to ever exist

I'd love to here your thoughts!

Pretty sure you're preaching to the choir on this one, considering what website this is. ;)

• Like 3