Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

8 hours ago, JCoaster25 said:

Hey guys! For anyone that is interested, I've just completed a very in-depth review of The Beast on my blog. Feel free to check it out here!

The Beast REVIEW: Still the most radically unique wooden coaster to ever exist

I'd love to here your thoughts!

Good review. Interesting way to point out the mentality of how the ride thrills riders, etc. and why it doesn't work on everyone. It works on me for sure, Beast is my favorite coaster of the few I have been on so far (20+ or so so far). (Aka had that been my review I'd have given it a 10/10 instead of a 7) :P

Also saw your review of The Voyage @ Holiday World, which was also well done much in the same way. Didn't realize the back half of that coaster was actually 100 feet in the "air" versus the station, hidden behind trees and stuff. No wonder it gains so much speed on the return run.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jtro223 said:

This is my second visit this season. Am I seeing things, or is there a new marquee sign for The Beast?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yes it's new. Gone are the 3d claws and letters. They've been replaced with a more basic 2d printed graphic.

Perhaps the old sign is getting a refresh, and they put a temporary sign in its place? Not sure.

• Like 1

So after spending a few days roaming through Rivertown during Coasterstock it hit how Mystic Timbers makes Diamondback look like it fits into the park much better. Particularly after you pass the RHOFG and head back towards the train station. The lift/first drop of MT just seem to compliment DB very well. 

• Like 4

Maybe that might explain part of why I'm enjoying Diamondback more this season... :)

And I do agree, that looking back, Diamondback did stick out like a sore thumb, but now the area really works well as everything fits in nicely and it feels complete.

Hyper coasters are supposed to stand out.  200+ ft coasters tend to do that.  I can't think of one that doesn't unless its at a park that's one up'ed it by installing a giga (or in CP's case, 2 up'ed it with a giga and a strata coaster).  

• Like 1

So I went up to the park after work thinking it was a 10 pm close only to realize an hour into my 2 hour visit that it was an 8 pm close.  I did get a lot of rides in 2 hours.

The list is as follows- 

Bat, Banshee, Drop Tower, Delirium, Viking Fury, Diamondback, Vortex, Racer, Adventure Express, and Mr T for the Timber Tuesday thing.  

Not too shabby.

Also ran into Liz. 

• Like 4

Other things I noticed today-

- Firehawk has a red 0 car for both trains now

- The band for Off the Charts was rehearsing at park close

- Goodness gracious Racer needs re-tracking.  Even the good seats are getting a bit on the rough side

- Diamondback's crew is much improved over previous years, happy to see that with it being my current favorite steel coaster

- I'm constantly in amazement whenever I walk down I-Street so far this season, the music brings back so much nostalgia (I know this has been said about a thousand times, but thank you so much KI for bringing the music back), I'm also glad they kept Racer's 70's music station soundtrack

- The 80's songs in the shed never get old, Mystic Timbers is kind of the Guardians of the Galaxy of coasters

Going back next Tuesday after work to finally get my first Beast night ride of the season along with some Timbers night rides.

• Like 9

Went to the park around 7 today to get some rides in and when riding the train I saw a train conductor having some fun. I believe he was fishing a chicken, and on the way back he was playing the banjo on one of the chairs. Always great to see this, and makes me wish they would add some actors/people or props along the train to give it something new.723854a13eaba180bb54b1caa19d1d28.jpg

Screenshot is from the live stream I did on my Twitter. You can find and watch the moment here (can see the guy starting at 2:58):

• Like 9

CORN PUDDING?!?!?!?! :o

If they can add decent food service to that, I may be eating every single one of my meals at the park this summer at the Smokehouse. Corn pudding is my absolute most favorite food, but I usually can only get it once a year at Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

CORN PUDDING?!?!?!?! :o

If they can add decent food service to that, I may be eating every single one of my meals at the park this summer at the Smokehouse. Corn pudding is my absolute most favorite food, but I usually can only get it once a year at Thanksgiving.

IMG_8356.JPGIt was fantastic as well!

• Like 2

I'm starting to realize how much you can get done in a few hours with minimal crowds at KI in my efforts to go after work for a few hours.  Went up for about 5 hours today and got a whole lot done.  I definitely want to go up for some photo ops so I can participate in the off-season photo contests (as well as bringing a camera on my CP/MIA and Pitt trips). 

• Like 5

I had a short but fantastic trip tonight which consisted of the 90's show, Cirque and The Bat. The 6:00 90's show was amazing (I also saw the 4:00 show) and I got my picture with Mr. Ogre (putting a spoiler tag because he's part of a new Cirque act!)

he's the guy in the mask that does the tricks on those pegs- I wish I knew his real name (or at least his character's name, if it has one!)

after the 5 PM Cirque show. Also, The Bat is always great in the front seat! :D

On 5/21/2017 at 3:24 AM, malem said:

If it's purchased at Kroger before the gold pass deadline, it will be a Gold pass.

After Gold goes away, only Regular and Platinum passes are sold. Kroger would be selling Regular passes at that time.

Is Kroger the best/cheapest place to get a single day pass? Looking to bring a friend this week. Online prices are $43 (for gold pass members). I live in Indianapolis, not Cincinnati, if that matters for where to buy. TIA!

My roommate and I are finally getting our first trip of the season in tomorrow. Planning on making it an all-day affair to to get on Mystic Timbers during early ride times (we are both Gold Pass holders), and then get a night ride or two in.

33 minutes ago, kikid74 said:

Is Kroger the best/cheapest place to get a single day pass? Looking to bring a friend this week. Online prices are $43 (for gold pass members). I live in Indianapolis, not Cincinnati, if that matters for where to buy. TIA!

For a single ticket, buying at Kroger is probably cheaper than buying online due to the online order processing fee. Prices at Kroger vary by area; call a store near you to see how much they cost.

Bring-a-friend tickets are also sold at the front gate; just present your gold or platinum pass at the ticket windows.

Saw two young kids sneak past the station host using the Fast Lane without wrist bands.  They by-passed a 2 hour wait and I promptly informed the greeter.  He then removed the kids from the line after a short conversation.  The seats they were waiting for went empty but at least they didn't get to ride without waiting!

• Like 2