Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

On 6/2/2017 at 8:16 AM, YOULLBEBACK said:

Is it just me, or does KI seem to draw more trashy / disrespectful people in recent years?  Maybe they just stand out more when line jumping, cursing, smoking, etc., occur.  Maybe it's just 2017 culture as a whole.  Maybe I'm just growing into a grouchy old man. 

You're not alone. I'm a millennial and can hardly tolerate the park on certain days. The teenagers can be incredibly disrespectful, I have a pixie haircut and I got a few rude comments insinuating my sexual orientation or if I was transgender. Then the parents who let their children do whatever get to me the most. I can blow off a nasty comment, but I watched an adult let probably a 10-12 year old girl, turned around in line so when the line moved she didn't see it because she was too busy talking, lick the colorful coating off of Skittles and then spit them out throughout the queue line of Adventure Express. She'd spit them just to the side towards the Fast Lane line, she'd spit them through the  little openings in the tunneled part of the line. For some reason, even though I know it's a child, that grated on my nerves more than anything.

• Like 2

Every time I am coming into the last brake section of racer (also other rides) I will point to the gum/spit/whatever on the walls and call out "GROSS!" 

It's up to everyone to call out rude behavior, it doesn't matter what age someone is or who they are with. Sometimes peer pressure is a good thing. 

• Like 1

Someone on Reddit is saying there appeared to be a police altercation last night in the parking lot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cincinnati/comments/6g8j9f/kings_island_last_night_69

"Hey does any one know what went down at KI last night? Leaving the park about 9 and about 10 Mason police and all of KI security was rushing some guy and yelling at him. They were really close to my car had my two young'ns with me so I obliviously just got them the hell out of there. As I was leaving like 4 more Mason cops were pulling in at a very quick pace. Figured something big went down, but didn't hear anything on the local news. My 9 year old was super curious, hoping I could fill him in on the details. Thanks in advance!"

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 4:35 PM, DMann1979 said:

Question. Is there a discount on locker rentals for Gold Pass Holders?

I don't think there are Gold/Platinum Pass discounts on lockers.  I know for certain that the lockers in the main park are, but I'm not 100% sure about Soak City lockers, though I would lean to saying they aren't either. 

I know most of us are more fond of riding Bat in the front, but I've found an advantage of riding further back.  I've been noticing slight kicks of airtime as it makes major swings to either side.  It's particularly noticeable as it pulls off the s-curves after the big fan turn over the station.  Those pops are slightly stronger towards the middle and back, the best of which is that curved hill before the brakes and as it comes up to the brake run.  

• Like 1

Hey all, quick question, does anyone (on KIC lol) know what type of inclament weather causes Dinos to close? Just wondering as I heard it may storm over the weekend as I wanted to catch some Pokemon over there on Sat between Cirque shows.

I don't know what KI's policy is for DA in inclement weather however I suspect they close it if there is an electrical storm.   In my various BSA training programs we are taught to stay away from trees if possible.  It is safest to spread the group out and crouch down in an open area if possible.  

• Like 1

I forgot to mention something about Flight of Fear that occurred on my last visit.  I got a ride where the brakes on the MCBR didn't even engage and the 2nd half was absolutely incredible.  I'm not sure its a consistent occurrence, but was a great experience none-the-less. 

• Like 3

That happened to me too on FoF! That was our first ride of the day and I didn't even notice until we were heading back into the station. I thought that since it was so early maybe the brake section didn't have to slow the train that much in order for the other train to clear the block. 

Later in the day we rode it again and the same thing, no slowdown. It was awesome. What ever the reason I like it. 

• Like 2

I went to the park for a few hours last night and had a unique, but fantastic evening. I wanted to take it easy as my neck has been hurting since I woke up Thursday (thankfully, the pain's been going down every day; I suspect to be fully healed Monday or Tuesday) and I didn't want to damage it any further. I mostly rode the flats (specifically Zephyr, Delirium and a night ride on Shake, Rattle and Roll) and saw Cirque (7 PM) and Off the Charts. I also took lots of pics of Mystic Timbers, had a fantastic ride on Bat, and had an amazing Grilled Cheese at Tom + Chee. Speaking of food, I noticed this new sign yesterday: 

its skyline time!!!.jpg

It looks nice, I wonder when that was put in...

EDIT: I also hunted for Pokémon in Dinosaurs Alive!

• Like 3

I believe that the Skyling sign you pictured (the one on International Street) was added for this season.  I also believe that the Subway sign in Coney Mall and the Skyline in Coney Mall both received new signs that light up for this season.  

• Like 1

I haven't been to KI as much this season as in past years because I concentrated on the NJ/PA circuit, but for those who have and who frequent Soak City:  What amenities other than Island Smokehouse were added?  IIRC, SC was supposed to get more chairs and shade structures?  Did this pan out?

• Like 1