Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

17 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

Quick question, how big of an impact does Spirit Song have on crowds?  I am thinking about Thursday.  No way I am trying Friday or Saturday.

Thanks!

Always hard to predict, but the Spirit Song days are some of the busiest the park has throughout the year.  

• Like 3

Didn't want to waste a new thread on this. Figured this thread is good enough to say this though.

Give me the strength KIC board. I want to ride Drop Tower and yet I always get nervous. I have no problem with the coasters, but that slow, rotating elevation just makes me stop dead in my tracks. But I want to get on it at least once this year. So lend me your moral support please.

You can do it!

As you ascend, focus on the scenery and the backstage areas you can't see from the ground. When you get near the top, the speed slows greatly before reaching the actual top. Look at one of the tall structures like a coaster nearby, and compare it to things behind it so you can see you are still rising even though you don't feel it.  Soon it will actually stop, and there will be a mechanical clank. Start counting. At about 6 or 7, you will feel the addicting adrenaline rush of descent. Expect to walk out the exit gate ready to take on the world! :)

• Like 5

Drop Tower is one of my favorite rides at KI! It is a huge stress reliever and as the ride drops, I feel my stress melting away - it's a beautiful thing!

With my niece and nephews, I like to relate new/challenging rides to ones they like....maybe it will help here? Think of the slow rise to the top as one of the best ways to view the park. You get to see the park from a completely different vantage point. And you see everything! Unlike the Eiffel Tower, you don't feel the slight sway from the wind (which is normal and necessary from an engineering standpoint). The drop as you you are lifted out of your seat is kinda like Diamondback's air time...just longer. Now, as I love that sensation, I stick my legs out and don't hold on. I know others that try to limit that feeling and will hold on and keep their legs tight against the seat. Do whatever makes you comfortable. 

Edited to add...try to enjoy the ride but it's okay if you don't. The beauty of KI is there is something for everyone and maybe this just isn't your cup of tea. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

You can do it!

As you ascend, focus on the scenery and the backstage areas you can't see from the ground. When you get near the top, the speed slows greatly before reaching the actual top. Look at one of the tall structures like a coaster nearby, and compare it to things behind it so you can see you are still rising even though you don't feel it.  Soon it will actually stop, and there will be a mechanical clank. Start counting. At about 6 or 7, you will feel the addicting adrenaline rush of descent. Expect to walk out the exit gate ready to take on the world! :)

Also keep breathing.  Slow, deep breaths to keep yourself relaxed, before and during the ride.  People watch, look at how people can enjoy the ride and know you can do so as well.  

It took me a while to get on Drop Tower as well.  I will ride the tallest coasters like TTD no problem, but I've had a love/hate relationship with free fall rides.  I'll be riding the upwards launch tower of CP's Power Tower for the first time this week, which freaks me out a bit, but I know how to allow myself to do so psychologically.   

And yes, you will have a HUGE adrenaline rush afterwards.  It'll start to build up during the ride as well, its just your body's natural response to fear.  Slow breathing will help to compensate for that. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 8:45 AM, chad_1138 said:

Quick question, how big of an impact does Spirit Song have on crowds?  I am thinking about Thursday.  No way I am trying Friday or Saturday.

Thanks!

I forgot about this.  Oh well, still planning on going to the park this weekend.  Friday should be interesting, as the forecast is for thunderstorms all day and night

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gannersdaddy said:

I forgot about this.  Oh well, still planning on going to the park this weekend.  Friday should be interesting, as the forecast is for thunderstorms all day and night

..and the biggest acts (Crowder and Chris Tomlin) are also Friday.  Saturday is Toby Mac.  I think Skillet is tomorrow.  I'm planning on being down at 9 tomorrow morning.

I'm going tomorrow anyway. I considered switching to Friday in hopes storms/threat of storms would keep people at home but I worry it would just backfire with everyone who bought tickets coming anyway, wandering around with no rides open, and no one will want to be at Soak City (making it even more crowded).

I have plenty of other things I can entertain myself with at the park if lines get too bad, and if it gets simply too crowded I could leave early (who am I kidding? ;))

I'll report back tomorrow and maybe it can give you some idea how Friday will be?

• Like 3

My friend texted me around 6:30ish and said that SpritSong was currently suspended b/c of the weather (I'm assuming the show is still going on now as the weather has improved since then). Also, I didn't end up going to the 7 PM Cirque show as planned (due to some unforeseen circumstances...), but I will for sure be at the 3:30 and 5 PM shows tomorrow. Also hoping to get a night ride on Adventure Express as well as ride The Bat, among other rides! :D 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2017 at 2:41 PM, DMann1979 said:

Not sure what the issue is but there was a train stuck on the lift hill for Vortex that just got moving. It was there like 5-10 minutes.

I was working there during that instance, and it was interesting (because it was actually my first time dealing with something like that!). It was something very minor, though, and Vortex reopened within twenty minutes. Nothing big at all!

• Like 1

Does it still not close out and give the "checking the area" or something like it?

The version before this one made that issue better...

But it still doesn't have wait times working, so it's really not any better than a paper map. Actually, visually, the map in app is a lot worse.

Vs the app last season they have removed wait times and added a bunch of "ads" to buy fast pass.

Reeks of corporate sell out. (Remove a feature guests used and add a feature to make money).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to use the app the other day with no internet or cell connection.  It barely worked at all.  You could view the blank, gray map, but not any lists of attractions or locations.  There was also no error message or warning about not being able to connect to a server somewhere.  

No wonder it kills battery life so much, it is retrieving virtually all of its information from online all the time.  I can understand the need to retrieve daily/weekly events and things like ride times, but the attraction information, images, etc. is all static content that should be included in the base app.  Under the current design, it would honestly work better as a specialized mobile website.    

• Like 1

The wait time feature hasn't been removed, though there have been reports of issues with it not working for some guests recently.
Hopefully the problems get resolved soon; It is a really handy feature.

Well I can't see wait times on any device I own while in the park. IPhone or Android.

They may not have intentionally removed it, but they don't seem interested in trying back to the previous app where wait times were working for the majority.

Who on these forums has wait times working correctly on their device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk