Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread

Magenta Lizard

So, for those considering riding Slingshot, they appear to have a new system where you pick a timeslot after paying to ride. I don't completely know how it works as I didn't ride today (I opted for Skyflyer instead as I couldn't do SlingShot as a single rider), so if anyone on here does, feel free to let everyone know.

I rode Slingshot for the first time last friday and what we did was pay for a ticket, and they gave us a timeslot (we came pretty late in the day, about 7:30, so we just went with the earliest timeslot. I guess you could pay at the beginning of the day and then reserve a slot later in the day if you wanted). They gave us a receipt and wrote down the time, and we got in line at that time to ride. It's supposed to make it that you don't have to wait in line, but even though our timeslot was 8:15 we ended up riding at around 8:35. I guess it gets backed up a bit.

• Like 1

While I do agree that DA is great for catching Pokémon, the park itself offers a lot of Pokestops even without DA. In fact, I was able to evolve Clyde (my Golbat) into a Crobat yesterday because of the massive Zubat nest at the park, even without going into Dinos (which I was planning to do). So, not saying it won't be a loss if Dinos leaves (because that's why I mostly go thru Dinos anymore, and also, it's a nice break in the day and it's a beautiful trail) but you can get a ton of Pokestops/Pokemon without necessarily going to Dinos.

It's hard to predict what the immediate future of DA will be.  Back in 2011 when it opened, there were many who thought it would be gone by 2017.  They might just be downsizing the size of the gift shop.  They have downsized DA to the point where I believe only 3-4 employees are needed to staff it.  

KI has a ton of surrounding land available to them, so it certainly is not a "need" to use that land for something else.

Off the subject for a minute, but is anyone else having troubles with the webcams?  I cannot get any on the Cedar Fair cams to work from the websites.  I click on them and they just go blank.  It does this on my laptop and my phone.  I am thinking it is a setting somewhere, but I have no idea where.  Any help would be appreciated.

Nevermind, all things are working now.

54 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Question- why do they close off the WWC train crossing when the train is approaching the station?

Safety. They don't want the train going through the gates and plowing tons of guests. If it we're an automatic gate, the weight of the train on the tracks would trigger the gate to close the closer it got to the crossing.

• Like 1

Yes, it's in case the train overshoots the station. The same happens at the Cedar Point Frontiertown station, with the crossing right in front of the station being closed as the train approaches, reopening once the clear signal is given, and then closing again at dispatch.

On 7/5/2017 at 3:24 PM, TheRickster said:

Probably to keep people from deciding "oh the train is here and I'd rather go to the waterpark better just run down the tracks"

That's not it, since the crossing is designed to block access to the tracks while open. Also, as with CP above, the crossing is reopened while the train is loading and unloading.

Edited by jcgoble3
fixed a typo
  • Like 2

As we were walking through Planet Snoopy with our boys this evening, we were approached by a staff member that said she likes to find families with kids that like Snoopy and we're given this!

Very cool end to our day!!!!

1499732466695-1361679968.jpg

• Like 18

37 minutes ago, stashua123 said:

Working here at the park, it makes me smile seeing a fellow KICer able to have the true Best Day Ever experience from Kings Island. Im glad you guys had a great night! :) 

It truly was the best day ever!  It was such good timing, because this is probably our last trip until Haunt, so it was an amazing way to top off our summer at Kings Island!!!

• Like 10