How is it like working at KI

Xdog42

So yea, I'm 13 but my dad was talking about what I'm going to do when I get in high school to make a little cash (not a permanent job). So the top things that come to my head was like Fast food or something. But when me and my dad was passing by the exit to KI you know in West Chester, It came to my head I could work in KI.

Even though I might be a tad hard getting there considering I live like 30 mins away I could still work there. So I was like "Dad I could work at KI" and he was like sure. So now it's starting to be that place I want to work at when I get to High school. So I have a few questions.

1. How is it like working at KI

2. How old do you have to be to work there

3. Do you get to pick what rides you want to operate

4. How much do you get paid?

5.Do you get to test rides (Hey I wouldn't complain if I got to ride DB in the morning)

6.If everything works out right and I have the opportunity to should I work there?

A 30 minute commute isn't all that bad. When I worked at KI I lived a couple miles down the road from Kenwood so I was like 20-30 minutes away. Anyway, I was a games supervisor so I can't answer all of your questions (but I totally recommend games haha)

1.) It's fantastic. They were a little strict on rules, but they have to be. We did so many after work activities and it was great.

2.) You can be 15 and work there! Though there are a lot of hours you can't work due to labor laws.

3.)N/A

4.) When I worked there as an associate I believe I was paid a little more than minimum wage but they now pay even more!

5.) I can't completely answer your question but I can say that there are rude nights where they have a select few rides open for employees after hours! Big Bash is the best.

6.) Absolutley. KI was by far my favorite job ever and you make everlasting friendships!

• Like 5

You must be 16 in order to work ride operations. Everything else you can be 15 (merchandise, food, admissions). 

Working in rides for two years, I can definitely say I've loved it. You develop great friendships (and I've also met my current girlfriend while working there), you learn how to dedicate yourself to work, and you are given the opportunity to make each and every guest's day the best day ever. 

Testing rides is my favorite. I think I rode Adventure Express 100+ times this year. I also got to test ride Sling Shot a few times. 

I began my KI job in merchandise when I was 16, back in 2014. I worked in Banshee photo/store. That was a ton of fun too. I just found it boring standing behind a counter for many hours a day. Rides is much more fast-paced.

Good luck in your endeavors in the future. Sounds like you have some time to wait till you can get a job at KI, but I was aspiring to work there since I was 10. If you ever have any questions, ask me, as I'm a current employee and have two different departments under my belt.

• Like 4

I'm 17 (turning 18 in two months) and I applied two weeks ago (December 13, to be exact). Obviously I haven't heard back yet as they don't start interviews until February, but I've been checking my email almost every day in case I do get something before then. :P

I have been wondering, though, how people hired for Rides are decided which ride to work on. I am well aware that if I get a job in Rides this season, it would be very likely that I work on a ride other than Vortex especially since I would be a newbie.

• Like 4

^you'll probably hear in February.

I started in the 2015 season in rides and loved it. Very fast paced, got to test ride all the time and everyone there is focused and doesn't make it a boring work environment. But you have to be 16. I was given a list of rides to choose from but the later you interview the smaller the list gets. Also, when I interviewed in 2015 they put people at Banshee who were applying for the first time so don't get your hopes down for anything but MT as that will be the ride everyone wants next season probably. That being said. Don't walk in your first day expecting to be driving the coaster.

Last season I worked in merchandise. My love for my job turned around. A lot of people want to start drama. And unless you are 15, you will have a supervisor younger than you. A lot of your job is standing behind a register, especially if you're under 16 due to labor laws. Overall, merchandise, while I made a lot of friends, is where I will be returning to next year if I do.

If you're in it for the money. Go to foods, they get paid the most, if you want a good environment I would say go to Merch or admissions and then apply to rides when you turn 16.

Thanks for the Response DB&BL i might apply when I'm 16 personally i still think i want to operate the rides. I will be Gucci with Banshee considering its like in the top 5 rides i want to operate. If I could have it my way my list would be.

1.Diamondback

2.MT

3.Banshee

4.Beast

5.Racer/FoF/Vortex/Firehawk

(almost any cool thrill ride)

I'm guessing these are likely the top wanted for staff to Operate.

So yea i'm 13 but my dad was talking about what i'm going to do when i get in high school to make a little cash (not a permanent job) So the top things that come to my head is like Fast food or something. Well when me and my dad was passing by the exit to KI you know in West Chester, It came to my head I could work in KI.

Even though i might be a tad hard getting there considering i live like 30 mins away I could still work there. So I was like "Dad i could work at KI" and he was like sure. So know it's starting to be that place I want to work at when i get to High school. So i have a few questions.

1. How is it like working at KI

2. How old do you have to be to work there

3. Do you get to pick what rides you want to operate

4. How much do you get payed ?

5.Do you get to test rides (Hey i wouldn't complain if i got to ride DB in the morning)

6.If everything works out right and i have the opportunity to should i work there ?

I worked as a Ride Operator this past summer, I'm not sure exactly all what I can state, so I am going to be as simple as possible about everything.

1.) It's alright, It depends on the department, if you're in Food Services you really have to have a positive attitude 24/7 or you are not going to enjoy your job at all. As for Ride Operators, it's pretty good. You can go about giving guests high fives, and much else including getting a train excited before the train leaves and after it returns.

2.) I heard that admissions was 14, but they're spotty about it, Everyone else has told me you could not work admissions at 14, but it's alright. 15 is the age for most locations in the park (most) and then if you're 16 you can work in Ride Operations and Life Guarding, as well as a few other spots. Once you're 18 you're more opened up with your schedule. (Such as you are not allowed to fully operate roller coasters, (Aka: The associate in the box where the controls are Until you're 18.)

3.) You get to pick your rides for your second year of working at the park, but not your first. You get a choice of rides. If you love kids, then you'd definitely be interested in one of the 'Pie' areas of the park, which is the Planet Snoopy area of the park. Yes you can go to other rides and get trained and such for those rides if you're interested. (As such with me, I was trained at Banshee, Beast, and Diamondback just to name a few.)

4.) Current pay is 8.25 an hour, But you can only work 60 hours a week (with no overtime, Seasonal Job) and you are not allowed to work Nine (9) days in a row. Meaning you can only work 8 days at a time, then you must have your 9th day off.

5.) Yes you do, Each train of every roller coaster is tested every morning, as well as all other rides of the park. 

6.) Most certainly yes! Come join us it's a lot of fun!

• Like 3

A lot of your experience will depend on what particular job you're doing.  I worked at Potato Works during a large part the 2004 season.  I found it adequate as far as a job goes, but the 45 minute commute was a bit much.  It was kind of unique for a first job.  The only way I'd ever work there again is in entertainment.

silver2005, crossing his fingers for an additional audition before the 2017 season.  

I worked at Kings Island the following seasons:

2002 - Potato Works (End of season only)

2004 - Action Theatre

2005 - Backlot - Vortex/ Troika - Eurobungie

2008 - Park Services

2009 - Park Services

2010 - Park Services

2011 - Park Services

Rides is a lot of fun.  Obviously people who are returning make up a large amount of the ride crews.  They are then filled in first come first serve basis.

If you work hard and show up for your shifts, you'll start working your way up on the ride crews to the better positions, such as driving the coaster.

I agree with the previous poster, start working as soon as you can and that will only help you get a job at KI.

• Like 2

If you work hard and show up for your shifts, you'll start working your way up on the ride crews to the better positions, such as driving the coaster.

I have dreamed of driving Vortex since I was 11. It may not happen this year (given that I get a job), but if/when it does it will literally be a dream come true!!

Volunteering in your community will also help build your resume, it doesn't have to be an actual paying job.  

I second that. My resume's "Experience" section is 100% volunteer work, and plenty of work at that.

• Like 4

I have dreamed of driving Vortex since I was 11. It may not happen this year (given that I get a job), but if/when it does it will literally be a dream come true!!

Just remember you are not allowed to drive roller coasters until you are at least 18 years old. :) Happy Riding! :D

Just remember you are not allowed to drive roller coasters until you are at least 18 years old. :) Happy Riding! :D

I will be 18 years old in one month and 23 days, so age shouldn't be a problem! :)

So what happens if you are offered a custodian job for your first year? Do you take it and hope for a promotion the following year or take a pass?

Funny you say this. When I was a young boy Paramount owned the Island and I wanted to be in games. Well I did good in the interview bit not so good on the math test. I was quite upset. A few weeks later I get a letter in the mail offering to be a sweep. Well I was still upset and said no.

Flash forward a few years later and Cedar Fair owns the island now. I go to a job fair and get offered park services. I accept but not completely happy about it.

Worst decision I ever made was turning Paramount down for the same job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6.If everything works out right and i have the opportunity to should i work there ?

​There's undoubtedly several perks to working in an amusement park, particularly your local one and a place you enjoy. I can't stress enough how important it is to have some sort of job as soon as you possibly can. I started working at 14 and it was the best thing that's ever happened to me. Had a strong work ethic and learned a lot well before I started at KI when I was 16. Kings Island can be an invaluable experience with a lot to learn while working in a place you enjoy. After eight seasons, so many experiences there have helped shape my life decisions, my current career path, and helped me meet some of the best friends I've ever known. I value my time there more than I do high school or university. It's a great place for a first job that can last a while. You will get out what you put in, but keep your expectations in check. For some, it's a one season quick job to look back on and joke/complain about, of many others it has helped shape the people they are. I miss that place every day.

• Like 6

I don't know if this is even possible but if anyone has a desire to pursue any type of engineering career trying for a junior/assistant maintenance position could be very beneficial.   While maybe not as fun as a ride-op position, you might actually learn a lot and would certainly help with any future internship opportunities.   

You might initially get stuck fixing leaky faucets and such but the point is getting to know the maintenance staff and showing your stuff.  

• Like 6

On 1/1/2017 at 4:42 PM, King Ding Dong said:

So what happens if you are offered a custodian job for your first year? Do you take it and hope for a promotion the following year or take a pass?

I think you absolutely take it.  It pays more than the Rides department and actually can be a fun job if you make the best of it.

You can actually in the offseason apply to a different department, so it wouldn't be a promotion to rides necessarily.  There are actually 3 different levels in Park Services prior to becoming a Supervisor.  You start as a Sweep, then you have the option of being a Trucker (picking trash from garbage cans), and then Restrooms.  Most of the time women skip the Trucker phase, since it requires a lot of heavy lifting.

• Like 2

I worked there years ago, and lived a little over an hour away.  A great idea would be to see if anyone else you know would want to carpool with you.  I did this with a friend, which cut driving/gas in half. 

Working at the park for one year, as a teenager in high school doing a summer job at an awesome park...definitely a very great memory for me. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2016 at 8:13 PM, diamonbackandbeastlover said:

If you're in it for the money. Go to foods, they get paid the most,

Foods Is one of the lower paid positions