How is it like working at KI

Xdog42

21 minutes ago, diamonbackandbeastlover said:

Actually food is one of the highest paid regular associate (non maintenance or supervisor) at 9.00 and 10.00 during haunt

Yes I know. But there are quite a few other positions that pay more

I haven't worked there in 15 years, but I hated it personally.

What I wanted to do was pick up trash, I don't want to deal with customers but I have no problem helping people that are lost, I felt that was the best place for me. Lots of walking, I don't have to deal with too many people, and those that I do have to deal with are usually easy to help. I was told almost verbatim "we outsource that job to another group", so unfortunately my goal and dreams evaporated.

Instead I was put at the candy store, the last place I wanted to be. I lasted maybe 2 days and quit. Memorize all the codes for candy, walk around asking people if they need help, tons of screaming crying yelling children, parents that are angry the antiquated system doesn't go faster, non-stop people, ugh.

I was paid minimum wage, which I think at the time was a whopping 5.25 an hour.

Edited by Stoan
forgot something
  • Like 1

KI is an awesome place to work. I've worked there the past 2 seasons, and i'm debating on wether to go for my 3rd. my first season was in merch. and TBH, i don't recommend that. it's truly a lot of drama. this past season was in Entertainment. that was soooo much fun! i worked with the peanuts characters & the cirque shows & got kisses from the dog show dogs on the daily. you truly create a family with your fellow associates when you work there. i also got sent to rides one day, and got to work on DB! that was pretty fun, but A LOT of work. you hear people in different departments complain about the work and the things they have to do, like every other job. but.. i've never heard, a person from Park Services complain. I would recommend them for the first job at KI. You'd also really get the lay of the land for when you come back at 16 for rides. as for building a resumé, I've been told on multiple occasions that KI doesn't look at them, they don't need them. KI is a first job for many. don't stress about a resumé.

hope to see you around the park soon! 

~MJ

• Like 6

I agree with the resume part. I applied with no experience and was hired into rides. Also don't worry about them offering you a job in another department. I was hired into rides first and willingly moved to Merch. Which was a lot of drama and people starting drama between eachother for no reason except that they were bored. I highly recommend rides if you are okay to work in the heat and do a lot of work. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Italian Job 2005 said:

A lot of ride operators start timid on the microphones, but I'm sure they get used to it with time and practice.  In my opinion, when operators are good and clear on the microphone, capacity increases for that hour.

But obviously, they won't force you to speak right? Like there would be someone else who would likely do it before I would wouldn't there be? That's not to say I wouldn't ever talk on the microphone though.

1 hour ago, JCJTheHurricane said:

But obviously, they won't force you to speak right? Like there would be someone else who would likely do it before I would wouldn't there be? That's not to say I wouldn't ever talk on the microphone though.

Of course, you would simply ease into spieling on mics. Don't let something as small as spieling hold you back. Its very intimidating at first but you quickly find its not bad at all.

Working at the park is truly a unique experience, everyday is different and always full of excitement and energy.

For those who showed an interest in the Rides Department feel free to message me with any more in-depth questions. I'd be more than happy to get you on that path.

• Like 6

I will be returning to rides this summer. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me. Spieling was one of my biggest fears and by the end of my first season in rides I couldn't get enough of it. Don't let things like that hold you back at all. If you tell your supervisor you aren't comfortable with it then they'll be okay with that and give it to someone with experience. Plus your first few shifts until you are in full swing, they perfer you to focus only on the job and the safety of guests. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Working at an amusement park was my first job.  When I started at Coney way back in 2002, I was extremely shy and timid.  Flash forward to now, and I am still working at Coney (albeit as a rides manager).  I have lost most of my shyness, and am responsible for dealing with guest complaints and issues.  I love working in an amusement park.  (It beats my desk job anyday).  I can`t wait to get back this year (for my 16th season at Coney).  I look forward into going into work everyday!  

Just think, when people ask you where you work, you can tell them at an amusement park!  And you will make great friendships that will last long after you leave the park.

I even worked at KI in rides during Haunt in 2013 and 2014.  I was placed at Skyflyer and absolutely loved it!  I would highly recommend.  I can confirm that Topgun1993 is a great resource if you are interested in working at KI.  

If you are interested in working at Coney Island, feel free to message me.

• Like 6

Be as confident as you can, if you don't know an answer that's okay....try your hardest to answer honestly. Don't say I don't know. Try not to say uhm a whole lot. 

Don't be afraid to ask them questions in relation to the job. If you do ask questions, I'd stay away from asking about benefits, pay, etc. They will cover that stuff with you more than likely from the get-go. Don't be afraid to ask, what is the favorite aspect of their job or even ask them what's the hardest part of this job, how can I be the best at this potential position. 

Breathe, show that you are enthusiastic but don't be so enthusiastic that you can't stand yourself.

Since you are interviewing for rides, they more than likely will ask you where you'd want to work. Be honest with them. I know several people who have interviewed and worked at the park in rides....2 specific examples with this stick out. Person 1 was asked, "what rides would you like to work?" Their answer, "anywhere." Person 2 was asked the same question and answered "I really don't want to work with young kids, so I'd prefer not to work in Planet Snoopy." Flash forward to the beginning of the season, Person 1, was placed in Planet Snoopy......quit a few weeks into it because they really didn't want to work with kids.....Person 2 was placed at Diamondback and worked as long as they were able to. 

All that to say, if you seriously don't want to work at a certain place, they're not really going to mark you as unhireable because of it....they'll just have to place you where they see fit and try to not place you at the place you don't work. Although it's never 100% guaranteed you'll end up where you want to. It depends on staffing levels when you interview. Hint, I was Person 2. :)

There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting right now, but feel free to PM me anytime you have questions before hand or even after.

• Like 6

1. Awesome. In my experience, its all about interacting with guests and being closer to your favorite attractions, so if your a people person or ever wanted to be that Speiler, its a great opportunity. Minimum wage seasonal is kind of unfortunate, but realistically you see that at any job in this industry.

2. 15 for games and mascots I think? I've always been a ride op where its minimum age of 16...

3. Depends. I transfered from Coney Island mid season so I only had a few options of train and Monster/Scrambler/Dodgems (which was suprisingly fun and I got to help out at other rides alot), but the following seasons I was able to transfer to Vortex no problem...

4. Likely still minimum wage unless things have changed over the last few years, but you get hours so it adds up.

5. As long as its not a single operator flat ride, yes. Theres a bunch of opening procedures, and one is to test ride, so just to to volunteer whenever you can...

6. I would. Basically the only  reason I left was there was no opportunity for me to find a full time position once I was done with college years, so I went next door to Great Wolf to run one of the attractions there...Working as a ride operator in the amusement park I grew up in was a dream come true for an enthusiast like me, so as long as you dont mind handling the occasional protein spill or dealing with your attraction breaking down I'd go for it....

• Like 3

Well my application's in. This will be my first paying job, hoping that I get the job, and I'm kind of nervous. I have friends that have worked there in the past and they said it's a fun time. I applied for rides, since I'm not 18 yet I won't be able to operate the ride but I'd be the guy who checks lapbars and has to clean up protein spills and whatnot. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cdeq said:

As a ride op, what are the average hours a shift? Is there a section of the park you recommend?  

Typically 9-4 or 4-close, with a 12-8 swing shift that does breaks. Since I spent most of my time in Coney Mall, I'm gonna recommend that, but its all preference I suppose.

Working has its ups and downs, on the ups, you get MANY good benefits which include park admission to any cedar fir owned parks along with free parking (always great)!, discount on food and merchandise, but idk why you would buy park food when you have unlimited access to the associate cafeteria when your their as a guest. They also have associate rides nights (like Drop Tower/ Banshee one night, FOF and Dodgems another night or Big Bash where its the last one and they run Dback and Beast!). On the downside, is the pay sadly. Its gonna be rough going from a seasonal job at Kohls making 13.50 back down to 8.25 at ki.

I'm going into my third year at the park as a rides associate and aside from the coaster enthusiast in myself, i really enjoy my job. You meet some great friends and you have a good time. Some of you may notice me from the log flume for two years. I was "promoted" last year to a CT (Certified Trainer which is almost the beginning of a supervisor). I am fortunate enough to be at........................MYSTIC TIMBERS as part of the inaugural crew.

Aside from that, I would highly recommend working at the park. I recently said something on Kentucky Kingdom's facebook post about seasonal jobs to. You'll have a great time, make great friends and have a fun job.

• Like 8

Couldn't have said it better myself, Drummer. Great experience, unfortunately bad pay, but if you're willing to stick with it, its one of the best jobs of your life. Literally the only reason I left was lack of a full time position and needing to get a "real" job, but I'll drop everything the second a serious opportunity to get back in presents itself.

Also, welcome to KIC! Awesome to see your gonna be on the MT crew, hopefully I'll see you alot this season since I'll probably do quite a bit marathoning if this thing iss gonna be as half as all the other GCI's I've been on...

• Like 1