How is it like working at KI

Xdog42

My interview was great! I was in a group interview with one other applicant with whom I worked together on the few activities throughout. They were fun!

We were both hired! Savannah (the other applicant and my new co-worker) chose to work on the Drop Tower/Bat crew, and I chose...WindSeeker/Vortex!

I'll be working my first job on Vortex's 30th anniversary crew!! :D

• Like 15

Nice Vortex great job, It be cool to see you drive the ride one day. Also Chug I heard you have driven Diamondback before. How was it like and if I have the chance (when I get older) to drive the coaster should I do it or another ride? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

My interview was great! I was in a group interview with one other applicant with whom I worked together on the few activities throughout. They were fun!

We were both hired! Savannah (the other applicant and my new co-worker) chose to work on the Drop Tower/Bat crew, and I chose...WindSeeker/Vortex!

I am SO happy for you VortexBFForever!  Congratulations!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Xdog42 said:

Nice Vortex great job, It be cool to see you drive the ride one day. Also Chug I heard you have driven Diamondback before. How was it like and if I have the chance (when I get older) to drive the coaster should I do it or another ride? 

Yeah bud, I did several times. It was awesome, but at the same time it was crazy that I was in control of a multi-million dollar machine. I absolutely loved it. It's pretty in depth and it can be scary at times as you think of how many people you are accountable for. 

If you do work there, once you are 18 you have the ability to be trained for controls. Once you do, it's pretty awesome. B&M coasters are pretty awesome and easy to control. You just have to know your stuff.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

Congrats! Vortex is a lot of fun i worked there alot for Haunt since the log ride closed a lot of times. Don't check the restraints to hard! I got blisters from it and it wasn't fun lol.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

Congrats! Welcome to my old crew (and obviously the best crew in the park). Both WindSeeker and Vortex are super chill once you get the hang of things, just remember to bring sunglasses since you'll be staring up ALOT working WindSeeker...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xdog42 said:

For most major attractions you have to be 18 to operate a drive panel. This isn't the case for most smaller flat rides like Scrambler/Dodgems/Zephyr/Planet Snoopy etc, but in general for most of the big stuff you have to have that white 18+tag to drive. Luckily for me as a major my entire time there, I was able to operate Monster (one of the most complicated rides to master actually) and WindSeeker my first season at each crew (and Vortex my last year which was basically my dream come true)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chugh43 said:

If you do work there, once you are 18 you have the ability to be trained for controls. Once you do, it's pretty awesome. B&M coasters are pretty awesome and easy to control. You just have to know your stuff.

Wait so 18 is to drive the coaster but how old do you have to be to Load people in the coaster/check restraints for the rides?

I will be 18 starting on February 25, so I'll be old enough to learn the controls.
I'm not sure what my chances at drive training will be since I'm a first-timer, but if I do get trained to drive, a dream I've had since age 11 will come true!!

Don't expect it to be right away. They generally retrain ride returners first, followed by rides returners and then new crew. Depending on how many are on your crew that need trained for that it could be a month or more before hand. You also have to pass all of your levels prior to being drive trained.

Wait so 18 is to drive the coaster but how old do you have to be to Load people in the coaster/check restraints for the rides?

I think it was 16. I never paid attention since I worked at the park when I was not a minor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

You must be at least 16 to work in rides period. The 18-and older positions are the control booths at major attractions. This excludes smaller rides, however. For this reason, you'll often see younger associates in the Planet Snoopy Area, where only two rides (Flying Ace drive and Woodstock Express drive) have positions that require you to be 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 0:04 AM, JCJTheHurricane said:

But obviously, they won't force you to speak right? Like there would be someone else who would likely do it before I would wouldn't there be? That's not to say I wouldn't ever talk on the microphone though.

They will by no means force you, IF you are not comfortable doing it then they will not put you on that position.

Honestly you can easily get into it, I believe it took me a month or so? (Before our Microphone broke.) but I was okay with it after about a month, and became a natural. It usually just comes to you. Study the ride your at, and you can name off some facts from the top of your head quickly without any cards. ;)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Nick_Plummer said:

If I applied for ride operations but am 16, will I still be a part of a crew on a big ride to check restraints and such?

Depends on the options they give you if your hired on. Like it's stated above usually if your hired on and ready to work when they have on ride training days, newbies are usually last to get trained. I remember last year at the log flume, when we had our training day (freezing day to be running a log ride honestly), returners such as my self and about 2 other people where quickly retrained and signed off then the people from other rides, then the newbies. I guess it honestly depends on placement and crew number.

• Like 5

Congratulations, Nick_Plummer!

I've noticed others who've posted about which ride they're working this year have said they re on the Mystic Timbers crew. I think I'm the only one here who's working somewhere else, at least for now. :P 

On 1/26/2017 at 5:22 PM, chugh43 said:

You also have to pass all of your levels prior to being drive trained.

What and how many levels of being a ride op are there?

-BFF, with piqued curiosity. :)

• Like 2

Still so happy you got the job VortexBFForever!! :D And congrats to anyone else who has gotten a job!

Love reading this thread.... it really provides insight to working at KI... :)

I decided to apply because I was thinking like I am there all the time already (19 times I went last year lol) so I might as well apply to wait and see... I applied around 3 weeks ago.... hopefully I will hear back in Febuary

I am going to keep my job at LaRosas and work at Kings Island as well... I need the money lol because I am getting no financial assistance for college tuition and you know other fun stuff! :D

I am open to any position... I applied to Admissions but anything else (well except for food because I already work food at La Rosas lol) would be great...

I would just be a little nervous with rides because I would feel a bit of stress putting thousands of lives on the line everyday with operating a ride safely and efficiently.... I would probably be so nervous to do that... because the OCD and anxiety inside me would drive me a bit insane.... but if I did rides I would probably get accustomed to it...

I will probably be able to drive by the begining of summer.... gas isnt too much an issue... as my job at LaRosas would quite literally supplment that cost. (I live 25-35 minutes away from the park)

Keeping the job at LaRosas may lead to an uncomfortable talk with my manager... but he only schedules me one shift a week and I NEED more hours than that but even when I asked to be scheduled more I didnt get it... (Saturday Nights is when I work) And a bunch of factors lead to me wanting to apply and get another job.... 

I have done job interviews before... I can be a little nervous but I am usually quite open by the end... heck I even uploaded my resume... I really think my MDA Camp Counselor experience is going to look good on my resume. 

I really really hope I get the job... if I only work day shifts I could like spend the whole day afterwords there lol.... wouldnt mind that a bit!

Any advice for me?

• Like 5