How is it like working at KI

Xdog42

^^First of all, wait patiently. I applied on December 12, was contacted on January 18 and interviewed on January 25. Chances are they'll contact you in February as they make their way through the applications received. It's still fairly early in their hiring season (from what I can tell), so there's a good chance you'll be contacted, interviewed, and most likely hired on the spot.

Second, refer back to the advice that fellow KICers have graciously provided in this thread. In fact, out of excitement, I've already read through the whole thread four times over and I actually am thinking about doing just that once I finish typing this very post! :P

Third, when you are interviewed (providing they contact you, which, like I said before, is quite likely), just be yourself. Relax! Dress to impress (specifically business casual)! I don't know how interviews go for Admissions since I'm in the Rides Department, but I was interviewed alongside another person and we were asked questions (of course) which of course were about Kings Island, filled out a paper each with important questions regarding the job, and did some team activities. But like I said, what I described is a Rides interview, so an Admissions interview would likely be different.

Fourth, practice makes perfect! Practice answering common interview questions! There are numerous job interview tip videos on YouTube that provide extremely helpful information. I practiced for my interview and actually ended up being more prepared than what my interview called for. Better to be overprepared than under, I'll say!

I'm still on Cloud Nine just thinking about the fact that I am now a Rides Associate on Vortex and WindSeeker! I can hardly wait for my processing/orientation/training in March, the first of which is 43 days away!!! :D

• Like 4

3 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

Congratulations, Nick_Plummer!

I've noticed others who've posted about which ride they're working this year have said they re on the Mystic Timbers crew. I think I'm the only one here who's working somewhere else, at least for now. :P 

What and how many levels of being a ride op are there?

-BFF, with piqued curiosity. :)

Depends on the ride....per the manual I have from 2009ish, there were 3 specific levels with one of those levels (1) split into a few additional categories for things like block testing, and controls for Vortex. I am unsure of WindSeeker as I never received that manual.

1 hour ago, stashua123 said:

Still so happy you got the job VortexBFForever!! :D And congrats to anyone else who has gotten a job!

Love reading this thread.... it really provides insight to working at KI... :)

I decided to apply because I was thinking like I am there all the time already (19 times I went last year lol) so I might as well apply to wait and see... I applied around 3 weeks ago.... hopefully I will hear back in Febuary

I am going to keep my job at LaRosas and work at Kings Island as well... I need the money lol because I am getting no financial assistance for college tuition and you know other fun stuff! :D

I am open to any position... I applied to Admissions but anything else (well except for food because I already work food at La Rosas lol) would be great...

I would just be a little nervous with rides because I would feel a bit of stress putting thousands of lives on the line everyday with operating a ride safely and efficiently.... I would probably be so nervous to do that... because the OCD and anxiety inside me would drive me a bit insane.... but if I did rides I would probably get accustomed to it...

I will probably be able to drive by the begining of summer.... gas isnt too much an issue... as my job at LaRosas would quite literally supplment that cost. (I live 25-35 minutes away from the park)

Keeping the job at LaRosas may lead to an uncomfortable talk with my manager... but he only schedules me one shift a week and I NEED more hours than that but even when I asked to be scheduled more I didnt get it... (Saturday Nights is when I work) And a bunch of factors lead to me wanting to apply and get another job.... 

I have done job interviews before... I can be a little nervous but I am usually quite open by the end... heck I even uploaded my resume... I really think my MDA Camp Counselor experience is going to look good on my resume. 

I really really hope I get the job... if I only work day shifts I could like spend the whole day afterwords there lol.... wouldnt mind that a bit!

Any advice for me?

See the advice I gave above....even though you applied for Admissions, everything would apply.  Best of luck.

• Like 3

My interview was great! I was in a group interview with one other applicant with whom I worked together on the few activities throughout. They were fun!
We were both hired! Savannah (the other applicant and my new co-worker) chose to work on the Drop Tower/Bat crew, and I chose...WindSeeker/Vortex!
I'll be working my first job on Vortex's 30th anniversary crew!!

Congrats, I worked Vortex in 2001. Loved it!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick_Plummer said:

I got the job! I'm on the Mystic Timbers crew. You'll have a new co-worker Drummermat, I interviewed with a girl who really wanted to work RFYLCB and she got the job as well. 

Ah so your the lucky lad that my best friend was telling me about! She said her friend got log flume and you had got timbers but she didn't mention a name. Congrats and welcome aboard! As of right now we have a couple guys from backlot, a guy from beast, myself and a guy from Diamondback but that's all I know as of right now. 

• Like 1

Honestly, just reading this thread makes me even more excited when I can work at Kings Island! It seems like a lot of fun! I was telling my sister the other day, I love going to Kings Island as a guest but I also want to work there cause I want to give someone a best day ever instead of someone giving me that. Even though It'll be a few years lol. Plus it'll just get me out of the house for the summer ^_^

• Like 2

On 1/27/2017 at 8:41 AM, Nick_Plummer said:

If I applied for ride operations but am 16, will I still be a part of a crew on a big ride to check restraints and such?

Yes you can.  Just can't physically operate the ride.

On 1/27/2017 at 7:39 PM, VortexBFForever said:

Congratulations, Nick_Plummer!

I've noticed others who've posted about which ride they're working this year have said they re on the Mystic Timbers crew. I think I'm the only one here who's working somewhere else, at least for now. :P 

What and how many levels of being a ride op are there?

-BFF, with piqued curiosity. :)

It depends on the ride.  In GENERAL there is a level for someone who just checks restraints.  Then the next level up is the individual who presses the dispatch button from the floor.  Every coaster I've worked at KI has these buttons, not sure about Firehawk or the B&Ms.  The next level beyond that is driving the ride.  Above that is the person who performs the block tests in the morning.

There are exceptions to this, such as FoF which has a separate position for the unload operator.

• Like 4

Hopefully you get the job stashua123. Also, i didn't think this forum will get so big and help so many people. Likely I will need to come back to this forum in 3 years Because that's when I plan to apply to work at KI.

• Like 2

My least favorite interview question is "If you were a tree what kind would you be and why?"   Those kinds of questions are so stupid but the HR pukes with psychology degrees have to justify their jobs some how.  Fortunately you have a great anwer at KI.  "Any kind that gets cut down to make room for a coaster." :)

• Like 2

^Heh, one time I was given an extensive Myers-Briggs personality test during an on-site interview for a job as a mechanical engineer and it irritated me so much I made no further attempts to follow up with the company. I guess sometimes HR feels the need to justify their department's existence. To me, it signified they had too much time on their hands in a manufacturing company.  

3 hours ago, stashua123 said:

Got the call after passing yet another Temps test... they asked me a few questions...

Interview... tommorow at 2:00! :D

Very surprised and delighted!!!! :)

WISH ME LUCK! I HOPE I GET THE JOB!

Good luck Josh! Don't forget to relax, show your enthusiasm about the opportunity, and just be yourself! (And don't forget a good handshake and eye contact! :))

• Like 5

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

My least favorite interview question is "If you were a tree what kind would you be and why?"   Those kinds of questions are so stupid but the HR pukes with psychology degrees have to justify their jobs some how.  Fortunately you have a great anwer at KI.  "Any kind that gets cut down to make room for a coaster." :)

I guess now you can say "Mystic Timbers" as your answer to that one, huh?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stashua123 said:

Got the call after passing yet another Temps test... they asked me a few questions...

Good luck Josh! You've got this! Be yourself, smile, look them in the eye and have fun! 

3 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I always hated those questions too, although I think I was asked at KI "If you were a crayon, what color would you be and why?" I've also used those type of questions when interviewing. It's interesting the answers you get. I think typically the idea behind them is to loosen folks up. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

3 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

^Heh, one time I was given an extensive Myers-Briggs personality test during an on-site interview for a job as a mechanical engineer and it irritated me so much I made no further attempts to follow up with the company. I guess sometimes HR feels the need to justify their department's existence. To me, it signified they had too much time on their hands in a manufacturing company.  

These posts made me laugh out loud. I'm a mechanical engineer, and I love studying personality types (especially Myers-Briggs.) I WISH my company's HR department took that into considered that after hiring people. When I've interviewed people, I tend to ask questions in a similar vein (not as abstract, but still open-ended--and the other, more practical-minded interviewers usually rib me for it.) But, that's me. (And according to MB, I'm the sort of person who'd typically be into that kind of stuff, coincidentally enough. ;) ) I just really enjoyed your posts, that's all.

5 hours ago, stashua123 said:

Good luck, sir! :) You'll do great, I'm sure.

• Like 2

GOT THE JOB!!!

Sales Associate.... everyone in my group interview was hired....

They said they were impressed with my deep knowledge of KI things such as FunPix, etc. and everything about KI and thought I would be great in Sales...

WOOOOOOOTWOOOOOT.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Bansheeback said:

What departments can 15 year olds apply to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I applied as a sweep with a note saying I'd accept any position back in 2013 when I was 15. I was emailed back to contact them later to set up an interview after I turned 16. So, unless things have changed in the last four years I think the answer to your question is none, but if you turn 16 over the summer, you could still apply.

And, if you're wondering, I did not set up an interview because I filled out the application pretty much on my own and only afterwards did I realize my parents didn't want to drive me there from the west side for every shift. I hope to finally drive and get my own car soon though and will be applying once again.

• Haha 1

Be warned if you go into food, you'll probably be under the most scrutiny of any of the areas in the park sans HR and PR.  Just look at posts here for evidence of that.  That'd be the last area I'd work in at Kings Island with their food situation right now.  

silver2005, former employee at Rivertown Potato Works when there were none of the promotions that the food employees can't consistently get right. 

• Like 3

Had my interview yesterday and got the job! I had the choice between, the Monster, Scrambler, and Dodgems as a crew, Backlot Stunt Coaster and Shake Rattle and Roll as another, and then WindSeeker and Vortex, and I chose the latter mainly because I surprisingly still enjoy Vortex and its the 30th anniversary for the ride! Super excited to start working there!! :D 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bansheeback said:

I'm really hoping I get a call. How many aren't accepted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really subjective. 

To those of you who have been hired by KI, just remember you cannot divulge any work information/anything that's not out to the public on this site or any social media. There are eyes everywhere. If you do post any of that kind of stuff, you may be terminated. Just a friendly reminder :)

• Like 5

11 hours ago, JCJTheHurricane said:

Had my interview yesterday and got the job! I had the choice between, the Monster, Scrambler, and Dodgems as a crew, Backlot Stunt Coaster and Shake Rattle and Roll as another, and then WindSeeker and Vortex, and I chose the latter mainly because I surprisingly still enjoy Vortex and its the 30th anniversary for the ride! Super excited to start working there!! :D 

Yay!!! Welcome to my crew!!

I'm not the only new Vortex/WindSeeker crew member on here anymore!! :lol:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who posted advice in this thread. Last weekend I applied and this morning I had my interview. I was in a larger group interview with 8 of us split into two tables of four. We had all applied to a mixture of departments, as well. Initially I was offered a Planet Snoopy position, but as I'm over 18 I was also offered Xtreme Skyflyer, which I accepted.

When I was thinking beforehand of rides I'd want to work at, Skyflyer hadn't even crossed my mind. I'm eager to learn all about it though. If any of you have worked Skyflyer, I'd love to hear about your work experience specific to it.

• Like 5