Forum software upgrade

Yes love the new banner logo as well>

:testing:

So people can see this tweet below on Tapatalk? I cant

Edit-- On PC now, the link I posted from my phone appears to have disappeared. Posting link from pc now:

Edit again-- And it doesn't show on tapatalk for me there either hmm..

4 hours ago, malem said:

There will be brief, sporadic downtime of the forum tonight as we launch more updates to the site. At some point, a cookie change (www.KICentral.com->KICentral.com) will require everyone to log in again.

I wish I had seen this a bit earlier. I just spent several minutes typing a post, and upon submitting it, got a response to a notification query in JSON format. I hit Firefox's back button to recover my post, and discovered I was logged out, and at that point feared I had lost the post. Turns out it did go through, as I found after I logged back in, but it was a bit of a scare.

On another note, I notice that I'm seeing lots of "unrecognized character" boxes (example), where previously the character displayed just fine. Is this an issue on my end that can be solved by bypassing/clearing my browser's cache or cookies, or is this something that requires server-side configuration?

^ The character issue was a brief glitch while the domain was being changed. If you're still seeing unrecognized characters, you can fix it by "forced" reloading - CTRL+SHIFT+R on Windows/Linux, Command+SHIFT+R on Mac, or clearing by your cache from a mobile browser.

Holding down the SHIFT key while reloading the page forces your browser to download the entire page again, so it's helpful if it has remembered a glitched version of a site.

Because the domain switched from www.KICentral.com to KICentral.com, forum cookies and some remembered passwords have been deactivated.

• If your progress on a post was saved automatically, content from session(s) prior to the domain change will not be restored. If you need this post content, it's available in your browser cookies. (Feel free to PM me if you need specific help finding or reading cookies.)
  • If you saved your password in your browser, you might need to save it again. If you forgot your password, you can retrieve it directly from your password manager. (eg. LastPass, Chrome, Firefox)
  • Theme preferences (eg. forum background images) may have been reset. Use the paintbrush icon at the top of the forum to get your preferred setting back.
  • Like 1

Hmm. It now seems like regular users are no longer able to reply to topics in the "Kings Island Central News" forum. I know it has always been the case that we could not create topics there (since the first post of each thread goes onto the home page of the main site), but not being able to reply to existing ones is something new.

On another note, I'm seeing some funkiness with new threads. The "Welcome to KICentral Version 5" thread doesn't show up as the latest post on the forum list; rather, malem's post immediately above from 20 hours ago does. (Obviously this post will overtake the "welcome to version 5" thread, unless there's another bug.) I also had to hard refresh the thread list to force that thread to show up. Also, the new "MT Construction Wrap Up" thread in "Kings Island Central News" shows on the forum list as March 6, but on the thread list and the single post itself, shows as 21 minutes ago.

The MT Construction Wrap Up thread has been moved to another forum now, but the question of replying to threads in the Kings Island Central News forum remains. A closer look shows that no one has commented in that forum except a moderator since New Year's Eve, so this might be related directly to the IPBoard upgrade from early January rather than anything more recent.

Don't know if it's my connection or what, but some pictures (especially in the photo contest thread) are not showing, but they're showing as broken links. 

On Tapatalk, when I was looking at the same thread, my post showed up as a broken link, when I clicked it, it said I didn't have permission to see it.

There may have been an issue with a Google script that prevented some members from posting.

If anyone is having trouble typing into the post editor, email techproblems (at) KICentral dot com.

EDIT: This was apparently caused by a specific Google ad that was malfunctioning, perhaps due to content blocking software. If anyone else experiences this, try using the "i" button on the partially loaded advertisement to block it from appearing. Instructions: https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662850?hl=en

• Like 2

On 3/28/2017 at 5:16 PM, malem said:

There may have been an issue with a Google script that prevented some members from posting.

If anyone is having trouble typing into the post editor, email techproblems (at) KICentral dot com.

EDIT: This was apparently caused by a specific Google ad that was malfunctioning, perhaps due to content blocking software. If anyone else experiences this, try using the "i" button on the partially loaded advertisement to block it from appearing. Instructions: https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662850?hl=en

It doesn't appear to be due to AdBlock or similar. I've run into it twice recently - once at work (no adblock at all) and once on my own computer (KIC is whitelisted). If I run across it again I'll get the URL so you can look into it further.

• Like 1

It was affecting Brad with two browsers (Microsoft Edge & Chrome), so it didn't appear to be an extension issue.

Did you try using the button on the advertisement itself, to block the one specific advertisement that fails to load?

I haven't received any e-mail at the address in my post, so I assume this is an isolated issue.

I seem to sometimes have issues while typing in the reply window where I'll hit a couple letters then my cursor goes away and I have to click in the window again to type a few more letters then it stops again. Very annoying. It might do this for a few minutes with me only able to type a couple words at a time, then it will clear up.

Not sure if this is related, but I also sometimes hear an advertisement through my speakers on this site, but can't find where it's coming from. I don't see any video or anything when scrolling through the page. I'll see a thin ad box usually below the first post on the page, but it's not showing any sign that it's giving the audio. I'll see a speaker in the KIC Tab signifying that it's definitely coming from this site though. Or I might hear a periodic half a second long hiss sound like an ad was about to play, then got blocked. 

I'm using Google Chrome exclusively. 

• Like 1