Forum software upgrade

Well, after clearing the cache, the issue where I stop being able to type is still there, but at least now I'm seeing the AD that seems to be causing it (see screenshot below).

The circle in the middle will spin like it's loading and once it stops, my cursor disappears and I have to click in the window to get it back and type again. Then it spins again and stops. Cycles like this every few seconds.

I hit the X on the ad to get rid of it and now the space where it was is blank but the cursor disappearing is still happening. Got so annoying that I had to type this out in NotePad and copy and paste it here.

After copying and pasting the above section I'm typing in here normally. Seems like the issue lasts for a few minutes and stops.

Capture 1.PNG

^ If it continues to happen, getting a HAR log would help pinpoint the troublesome ad and get it blocked in KIC's AdSense account.

Here is a page that explains how to create such a log using Chrome or Firefox: https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204410413-Generating-a-HAR-file-for-troubleshooting (You'd want to start recording in the Inspector, reload the page so that the troublesome ad loads, then save the logfile.)

A temporary fix would be to use an ad blocking extension in your browser (eg. Adblock Plus). Just be aware that some sites don't work properly when ads are blocked.

This happens to me and it's frustrating as heck! Sometimes, when I'll type a post and it takes it a second to catch up. When I press backspace (as there are misspelled words), sometimes it just takes me back a page. Thankfully, the text is there when I come back, but it's still super frustrating. I think this mostly has to do with the fact that I'm using IE, but when I use Firefox, instead of this issue, it takes a second to process and the text sometimes appears slowly. My theory as that there are a lot of devices pkugged into the WiFi, i dunno. However, when I use KIC on my phone (like I'm doing now), it works great. However, I really wish I could use KIC on my laptop consistantly as it's a pain to type every. single. letter. Especially when I have a lot to say lol

EDIT: For refrerence, I use a Windows 10 laptop.

^ Thanks, though unfortunately the ad isn't included in the file. The ad needs to load while the logger is running. The easiest method would be to start the logger and reload the page continuously until you get the broken ad again.

• Like 1

We recently experienced some downtime from 2:01pm until 2:10pm due to higher-than-expected traffic - sorry about that!

There will be some additional downtime late tonight (~1am) while we temporarily increase the VPS's resources to prevent additional problems this weekend. Thanks for your patience!

• Like 3

I've noticed since the software upgrade that certain threads tend to generate excessively high CPU loads. For example: sitting on the Kings Island 2017 Discussion Thread on page 20, according to Chrome's task manager it is just chewing on 20-25% load.  Using the latest build of Chrome: Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit)

I'm wondering if there is some script issue with the high post count threads?  

Side-note: I've given up browsing on my phone for this very reason, it kills my mobile browser (and battery).

^ I will investigate that. Is it happening for you 100% of the time when loading that page of that thread, or only some of the time?

Some CPU cycles are used by the forum's mechanism to check for new replies and notifications. InvisionPower's default is to check for updates every 20 seconds. We'll look into tweaking this and/or turning it off for mobile browsers. In Chrome, this spikes the CPU to 1-2% each time for me.

If it's sitting at 25%, it could be a Google advertisement. Can you tell if it's happening when certain ads are loaded? We can block specific ads if they're causing problems.

Hey gang, do you know how to change your "rank" (text above the avatar)?   I can't seem to find it in edit profile.  Noticed it still says King Grinch and that was kind of holiday themed.   

Same question. I'm ready to get rid of "Prince Grinch."

17 hours ago, malem said:

^ I will investigate that. Is it happening for you 100% of the time when loading that page of that thread, or only some of the time?

Some CPU cycles are used by the forum's mechanism to check for new replies and notifications. InvisionPower's default is to check for updates every 20 seconds. We'll look into tweaking this and/or turning it off for mobile browsers. In Chrome, this spikes the CPU to 1-2% each time for me.

If it's sitting at 25%, it could be a Google advertisement. Can you tell if it's happening when certain ads are loaded? We can block specific ads if they're causing problems.

@malemI've confirmed the high CPU usage occurs on any page where there is an embedded YouTube video. 

For example, this link does it:  https://KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26887-what-ride-are-you-craving-to-be-on-right-now/&page=39

I've also cleared my local cache and settings to see if it goes away, still an issue...  So yes at least for me it occurs 100% of the time.

Let me know if you need more information.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I can't get the forums to load with either of my browser apps on my phone (safari and mercury). On some refreshes it will momentarily show the page, but then goes all white and blank. I thought it might be an issue with my phone/app until I checked with a second browser.

Tapatalk app still works.

1 hour ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Today I can't get the forums to load with either of my browser apps on my phone (safari and mercury). On some refreshes it will momentarily show the page, but then goes all white and blank. I thought it might be an issue with my phone/app until I checked with a second browser.

Tapatalk app still works.

Have you cleared all your cache and history to see if that helps? Seems to be fine for me. Assuming your home computer is on the same ISP, is it working there? Trying to see if it is the phone or your internet  all together. Does it do the same if you disable Wireless and use your data plan?

As many of you noticed, KIC was down from 3:47am until about 8:30am this morning. Thanks to those who sent me text messages alerting me to the problem, and sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: We restored from a 2:00am backup; there was a security issue with a WordPress plugin that we didn't catch. A robot exploiting the bug attempted to modify JavaScript files to redirect traffic to a third party advertising server.

Our security setup blocked that from happening, but the site did break as a result. Everything should be fixed now. Thanks for your patience.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is experiencing an issue with Tapatalk where photos on the forum appear locked (as small thumbnails with a lock icon), try updating to the latest version of Tapatalk.

If it continues with the latest version, let me know. A few people have reported it, but I haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

• Like 1