Are Water Rides Dying Out?

Out of all the rides in the amusement park industry, it seems to me like new water rides have been on the decline over the last few years. The addition of Shoot the Rapids back in 2010 and its removal a few short years later leads me to believe that Cedar Fair won't be adding any new water rides in the near or even distant future. What do you think?

• Like 1

I think that's an awfully broad stroke to paint if Shoot the Rapids alone will keep Cedar Fair from adding water rides.

I think the bigger issue at hand is just that there aren't that many new kinds of water rides out there (outside of waterpark slides, I mean.) Hopkins makes traditional flumes. Intamin made whatever you call Pilgrim's Plunge, Shoot the Rapids, and Divertical, and they still offer traditional flume rides, White Water Canyon-type rides, and Congo Falls-type rides. That's pretty much all that's happened for several years. Mack made Pulsar, but that's very new and arguably just a more coastery version of Congo Falls.

If you look at what the Cedar Fair parks currently have as water rides, they actually have a lot of their bases covered when it comes to current water ride offerings. It would appear, based on Cedar Fair's recent spending habits, that there's more money for them in investing in waterpark additions if they're thinking about adding water-related attractions.

• Like 4

I have a feeling that (while not being made that much anymore) that log flumes will be a staple in a park. However the rides like Congo Falls or Mile High Falls at Kentucky Kingdom will be dying soon. They don't get that much ridership anymore due to most parks having a free water park (most people will rather go to a water park and get wet instead of getting wet on one ride and having to walk around in wet clothes.) While I personally like them to be able to cool off quick on a hot day, I will not be heartbroken if they get removed and can completely see the reason they would need to be removed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheCoasterCritic said:

Out of all the rides in the amusement park industry, it seems to me like new water rides have been on the decline over the last few years. The addition of Shoot the Rapids back in 2010 and its removal a few short years later leads me to believe that Cedar Fair won't be adding any new water rides in the near or even distant future. What do you think?

Eh... what? The removal of Shoot the Rapids means nothing at all to the future of water rides in general. Shoot the Rapids was a flawed ride that was late to open due to silly design issues (such as the boats being too big for the track), and later almost killed several riders when a boat fell off of a lift hill and landed upside down in the water. It was removed because of those unique issues, not because of anything about water rides in general.

• Like 6

I don't like how parks have been removing traditional log flumes over the past 10 or so years. They are one of my favorite ride types after coasters and dark rides and it's fun to get cooled off but not soaked on a hot day. Even though I like rapids and splashdown boats, I usually avoid them at parks because I don't want to be walking around in soaked clothes hours later unless it's at a park where those rides are close to an attached waterpark and you can wear bathing suits on the ride.

• Like 2

I think you hit the nail on the head.  These water rides are slowly disappearing because of maintenance costs compared to other rides, and people tend to not want to walk around an amusement park all day wet.  Kings Dominion removed their Intamin chute the chutes rides in favor of adding Backlot Stunt Coaster several years back.  I chalk it up primarily to changing tastes.

Water parks are still big draws.  Just look how much Cedar Fair has invested into their water parks over the last five years.

• Like 2

I think they are still good rides but as mentioned most parks already have flumes and rapids rides.  I would be pleased if KI added a Mack ride like "River Battle" at Dollywood.  One advantage that KI has is that 2/3rds of their water rides are relatively close to the water park so you can go to the wet park, ride the train, ride WWC and RFYLCB and not have to worry about wearing soggy pants all day.  Now if they would just move Congo Falls to that side of the park...

As a personal preference, I won't set foot in Soak City.  Way too busy, too much hassle changing clothes, rather spend time on coasters, etc. 

That being said, I may be a real minority here, but I value a ride like Congo Falls.  On say a hot and busy July day, you can ride that within 5 minutes, and get wet and refreshed.  It gives me a burst of energy. 

Plus hiding your feet underneath the lower seating area (there is a recession you can put your feet in) will avoid wet shoes all day.  And on a hot day, you don't stay soaked, you dry off relatively quickly. 

• Like 1

I LOVE the old style log flume.

I sincerely miss KCKC, WWC, etc.  Waldameer in Erie, PA has a fantastic log flume, no circular moving floor (I will always be a kid at heart), but a fantastic log flume nonetheless.

Along with maintenance issues and the continuing emergence of water parks, I believe space (or lack of) has influenced many removals of log flumes.  Their footprint is typically so large, a coaster or multiple rides can be put in their place.  And as much as I hate to admit it, water rides have some of the smallest capacity numbers due to the weather, cool mornings/ nights etc. 

• Like 3