Kings Island Regrets?

Creed Bratton

So looking at the random photo thread, I saw a post from TopGun1993 that made me want to start this thread. 

The reason? He posted a photo of the "station"/Pit area of Thunder Alley......out of all of my trips to Kings Island before the attractions removal, I never did it. I could say that I regret it just for the fact of it being a missed experience. I feel like I missed out on some great views of Son of Beast (operational and not). 

So my question is, is there something you did or didn't do at Kings Island (or any other park for that matter) that you regret? Why? 

• Like 6

Not riding The Racer backwards is one regret I have. When I was younger I really didn't like roller coasters that much, so that really prevented me on going on the backwards side of The Racer. I think me not trying roller coasters also really prevented me from not riding a couple rides such as the Son of Beast (which despite all I heard, I regret not being able to ride it).

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

So looking at the random photo thread, I saw a post from TopGun1993 that made me want to start this thread. 

The reason? He posted a photo of the "station"/Pit area of Thunder Alley......out of all of my trips to Kings Island before the attractions removal, I never did it. I could say that I regret it just for the fact of it being a missed experience. I feel like I missed out on some great views of Son of Beast (operational and not). 

So my question is, is there something you did or didn't do at Kings Island (or any other park for that matter) that you regret? Why? 

There really wasn't much difference in the view of SOB, to be honest, you didn't miss much.

• Like 2

I have two.  First and most importantly, I deeply regret not making it to Geauga Lake after the 2005 season.  I Loved....LOVED...that park, and financial issues kept me from visiting in 06 or 07.  I regret not doing a bit of moving and shaking to make a trip happen.  I wish I had known about Geugalaketoday.com before the park closed, because if I had those forums to read, Id have made it happen.  That park being gone still gets to me.

In regards to KI, if Im going to be perfectly honest, I regret going so often in 2009.  The opening of Diamondback had me wrapped around the parks finger, and I ended up going soooooooo often that A)I have become so bored with that ride I cant stand it and B)its one of the reasons that I have the park in a "take it or leave it" category.  I regret ignoring my "moderation is key" rule to hobbies.  There is also a liiiiiiitttlllee tiiiinnnnnyyy part of me that regrets not riding SOB for the short time it was open in 2009, so I could have at least given it one ride.

• Like 5

Not riding beast at night, For some reason It never dawned on me to get on it at night. Personally still kicking myself in the butt, But on the better side of things,  I will have the opportunity to do it in about 3 months when the park opens again. 

• Like 3

At Cedar Point in May of 2012 I stood in the line of Disaster Transport for ten minutes. I left to ride Top Thrill Dragster for the first time instead. Later in the same day my group decided to bypass Mantis because the line seemed too long. I never got to ride either one as this was my first and only Point visit until August of 2015. :(

• Like 4

I wish I had realized earlier that I could just go to the park alone rather than dragging people along who weren't really into it. Both would end up frustrated, them because they'd feel pressure to ride things they might not like, and me because I didn't feel like I was getting to ride as much as I'd like. This was even before I moved out to California to be with my husband: neither of my long-term boyfriends or any of my family members are what one might call enthusiasts. When I went with my family as a kid I often headed off on my own (and really enjoyed it) but I didn't want to do that with a boyfriend or my husband. I'm angry with myself that it took me 15 years of barely going to parks to realize I could just go by myself. 

Refusing to go alone prevented me from going to any of the parks while I lived in Cali (outside of a single Disneyland visit, which was a lot of fun). When we moved back about ten years ago, my husband and I got passes to KI one summer and visited a grand total of two times and rode, I think, one ride over both visits. Neither of us were happy. 

I have enjoyed myself so much since I realized it was ok to go alone, and ride everything I want to my heart's content. It's made me a lot more bearable when I do go to the park with someone, because I can just enjoy being there and being with the person. I am happy to ride as much or little as they want, because I know I can go alone another time and ride whatever. Me going alone has made it so much nicer when my husband and I go together, paradoxically, that we got him a pass again last season and went a handful of times together, and renewed for 2017. Since he doesn't feel pressured anymore, he feels more free to try new things at his own pace, and has even found a couple coasters he truly enjoys, and thinks about wanting to ride when between visits. 

If I had realized this back in 2005, I could have rode SoB and TR:TR which are my other regrets. 

• Like 22

I regret not going to the park from 2004 until 2007.  I didn't really have anybody to go to the park with and if I had it to do over again I would have went by myself.  I missed chances to go on SOB and TRTR more.  While I did get the chance to ride SOB several times in its various incarnation, I only got to do TR once.  I didn't truly appreciate how special TRTR was until later on.  Since 2007, I haven't missed a year and last year I went more times than I had ever been because I finally went by myself.  My wife goes with me most of the time but she is not really a rider so I went several times last year by myself and found it to be better than I had anticipated.

I also regret never riding Screechin' Eagle at Americana.  I almost did in the late 90s but the park was closed the day me and a friend were going to go and then we all know what ended up happening with the park.

• Like 2

Not riding KCKC when it was open. I was not a fan of water rides at the time, but I do remember loving to watch boats drop down the final drop. Curse you Paramount. Suppose KCKC was still at Kings Island. How cool would it have been to have Diamondback's first drop go under the flume?

Same thing with King Cobra. The time that I started riding steel looping coasters was right around the time it got taken out. I think I got to 54 inches on it's last season. Although I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it with those steel trap looking restraints haha.

• Like 2

Not trying out The Flying Eagles when I had a chance in 2000 and 2001.  I remember a little walking pass them, but didn't give it much thought, thinking it wasn't that exciting.  If I'd had known then what I know now, that would have been one of the rides I woulda been on a lot!  And also riding Les Taxis more! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, silver2005 said:

malem- I'm surprised you never rode SOB or King Cobra (the later especially since you were probably tall enough to ride before it bit the dust).  

I got motion sick easily as a kid, so coaster riding was naturally limited. I rode my first inverting coaster in 2002.

As for Son of Beast, I only visited KI once while it was in operation, and I didn't ride it on that visit.

• Like 2

This was a hard one for me to think of something I really regret.  I guess I wish I had seen more shows as a kid?  More of an appreciation for Paramount during their golden years (93-96).  Are these really regrets, though?

With the risk of sounding arrogant, who can say they've accomplished as much with Kings Island as me who has never been on the payroll?  My fingerprints are all over that place.  If I walked away and never came back, I would have feelings of content rather than regret.  

I guess my perspective is unique.

• Like 11