Cedar Fair Coaster Trends

I decided to make an Excel sheet of the trends in the Cedar Fair company in terms of coasters. I did not include renames if it was just a simple paint job, however I did include Rougaroo and Patriot since the trains changed therefore changing the ride experience. I also decided to make this list after 2007 since that was when Cedar Fair started to make changes to a great deal of its parks on account of the Paramount buy as well as the closing of Geauga Lake.

Let me know what you think

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_4zm02rSukmXN5vCqWELWfGvYavUsn2vwxgXcUDOaxM/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1

I guess my question is what is the point of creating a spreadsheet of these installations? 

If you are looking for specific trends, I caution anyone with thinking just because an installation happened after x or y, to not get their hopes up. 

History does sometime repeat itself, however, in the world of parks, it's not always the case...folks looking at trends for installations were believing that Kings Dominion would be getting a new roller coaster this year because of x, y and/or z. They were highly disappointed to learn that those x, y, and/or z factors didn't necessarily lead to a new coaster. 

• Like 5

Until looking at the table, I didn't realize Carolina Cobra (soon to the "The Flying Cobras") was installed in '09 while most of the other Geagua Lake exports were installed in '08. Also, just looking at a glance, I see a lot of B&M's and GCI's. Finally, as others said, the past may not be a good indicator of the future; look at CGA as an example, according to the chart, there have been only 2 major installs/refurbish since '07 (Gold Striker and Vortex/Patriot), however, in the future, they are set to expand massively with lots of new forthcoming attractions (don't know if this is the best example, but I hope you Ce Dar Point*).

*Seriously! It seemed like the goal for all CF waterparks at one time was to be called Soak City; now it seems that some will have their own identity as seen with Carolina Harbor and Cedar Point Shores  

Maybe to better support my thought process a little bit more, look again at the sheet. Look what Cedar Fair did to Mantis and CGA's Vortex- you can safely bet that CF will be leaning to convert Vortex at Carowinds to floorless. When Mean Streak get's RMC'd, there's a strong likelihood that Hurler at Carowinds and KD will get their fix sooner or later. This list isn't supposed to be set and stone, but its supposed give you an idea at what CF has been looking at over the years. 

• Like 2

The coasters that Valley Fair does have are pretty good.  Renegade (GCI) was one of my favorite rides ever, I had no clue what I was in for; it blew my son and I away, we are both very much looking forward to Mystic Timbers; have been pining for a GCI since getting off that ride.  I forget the name of their Hyper, but it had a great first drop, incredible floating air time over the second hill, a very mediocre middle and a great ending.  A couple of other solid and varied rides.  If they could add a good invert on the level of Banshee (I say clear out their dino exhibit and put it up front in that area) and I think it would be a great 1 day destination park.  If I'm ever w/n a couple hours of Minneapolis again, I'm going just for Renegade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Knott's has a Vekoma Boomerang and I have seen multiple rumors about its removal.  So I could see it moving to another park maybe Michigan's Adventure.  It was originally installed in 1990, it might not be new enough to justify moving.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that after all the problems with Stinger, that is the end of used major rides for Dorney. A new coaster won't be added anytime soon according to this article: http://www.mcall.com/news/local/parkland/mc-dorney-park-new-rides-20160818-story.html

As for bigger-ticket rides, Stibitz said there aren't any immediate plans for a new coaster, though capital plans for 2018 and beyond are not yet complete. The last roller coaster the park added was The Stinger in 2012.