The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

Since there a ton of posts about gigas on other threads, I decided to create a central topic just dedicated to the speculation of the giga coaster that most coaster enthusiasts believe we are going to get in the future. 

What we know:

1. Cedar Fair has added 3 gigas to its parks since 2010
  2. Each giga installed is taller than the last
  3. Kings Island is the only major Cedar Fair park without one

What we can speculate:

1. The conception of the coaster itself
  2. B&M is a likely candidate 
  3. The old S.O.B station might be used
  4. ^If not in Action Zone then it could be put in X-Base^
  5. Possibly a green color since KI has no coasters that color 

Like I said, this is just a speculation thread. 

"The more you know, the better you can speculate for what's ahead"

• Like 7

I agree with everything in this thread. Cedar Fair is going to give a Giga to KI likely in 2021 or 2022, and if everything is right it should be about 345-355 feet tall. I think it will be a B&M and it could use the S.O.B station and could run behind x-base and around. I think the color scheme shouldn't be green it feels to close to Fury imo, Just some thoughts.

• Like 2

Why????

Perhaps because that would leave $45,000 additional to be spent elsewhere.

Perhaps because they want to paint nostalgia for SOB

Perhaps because it doesn't just save $45,000 additionally it saves money and time that would be needed for a que

Perhaps because that is the location that makes the most sense, and reuse, reduce, recycle is their motto.

There are other reasons for sure.  IF KI were to install a B&M giga, or any other giga in that spot, I can only assume that there would have to be substantial rework done on "the platform" itself to allow for the different style coaster/track to be installed.  I'll agree that $45,000 (assuming your number is correct, I have no clue) is peanuts in the total cost KI would have to spend to build a Giga, and $45,000 will not drive the use of the old SOB station one way or another, that will be driven by other, more important factors.  SOB's station sits pretty high up, the foundation work and steel I'd have to imagine is pretty expensive.

Anyhoo, w/ Mysty added to the lineup this season, I think that gives the park at a minimum 3 seasons, up to 5 seasons before their next major coaster install.  I have felt for a long time that a CGI was the right addition to the park and was happy when it was announced.  I now feel, based upon KI's current lineup, that a Giga is the right next install.  That however could change with time.  Should Vortex need to be removed, then a B&M floorless looper would make more sense to me.  Should The Racer meet its demise, then something more family oriented makes more sense to me.  I'd venture a guess that whomever is in charge of the long term vision for each park has a pretty good idea of what the next major installs should be, not only at KI, but across the CF chain.  They are privy to what rides are near the end of their cycle, what B&M or other manufacturers have in their pipeline, what drive attendance, etc..  Would love to have that person's insight, just to know the thinking and process involved in the plan.

• Like 6

Also, I think after the Giga gets installed KI next ride maybe should be an Intense ride like an Intamin Blitz or an RMC. I can't think of a ride we have that's super intense at KI. Are like how your bring out if Vortex gets removed a Floorless. But I don't think at the moment Racer is going anywhere in the next 10 years at least. 

15 hours ago, Xdog42 said:

Also, I think after the Giga gets installed KI next ride maybe should be an Intense ride like an Intamin Blitz or an RMC. I can't think of a ride we have that's super intense at KI. Are like how your bring out if Vortex gets removed a Floorless. But I don't think at the moment Racer is going anywhere in the next 10 years at least. 

Sadly, I can't forsee an RMC anytime in the future (and I was team RMC for Mystic Timbers.) The fact is that with the addition of our 2017 coaster, our wood lineup is a record-holding legend in Beast, an EXTREMELY iconic classic in Racer, and now a (hopefully) amazing GCI in Mystic Timbers. It would be awesome and I always want more RMC everywhere, but with KK, Dollywood, and the obvious Mean Streak conversion only a few hours away in any direction, not sure if they'd be willing to install another so close to their own competition. An Intamin Blitz would be great though, even with Maverick so close by its still pretty unique and within the same chain, so following my RMC logic it's still perfectly acceptable. I was crossing my fingers for one back when they cleared out the lake for Diamondback...would've been a perfect fit for that area.

Also, I refuse to let Vortex go anywhere any time soon. I don't care about how old it gets, or that it's harder to get parts etc now, Vortex is my baby and I must protect it.

Anyways, back on topic. I'd love to see them reuse the station for SoB since it already has a decent sized queu for an area otherwise only  used as a Haunt. I could see it turning out of station and head towards the X Base area, where they have plenty of room for expansion (and possibly a low to the ground finale interacting with The Bat/Banshee/Express area.) As for manufacturer, as a HUGE fan of Intimidator 305 (fave steel) and a lesser extent Millenium Force (its neat, but overshadowed by the park's amazing lineup),  I would love an Intamin, but I understand company issues forcing it be B&M (still havent ridden either of those gigas to compare to the Intamin duo)

• Like 3

I've never been able to get a good feel or idea for how the SOB station could be used for another coaster. I just don't see a way to fit track between The Bat and Banshee that works. What are people ideas? diagrams? thoughts? wild conceptual designs? I'm mainly thinking of how to locate the track so a coaster could get in, turn around, and get back out. Would it potentially interact with The Bat or Banshee? Would that even be possible with the particular layouts of those two coasters near the old SOB station?

• Like 3

I would think putting it in either X-base or Coney Mall close to the old Flight Commander pad makes the most sense.  Right now the biggest draws are Banshee in Action Zone and Diamondback & Beast in Rivertown.  Seeing that the SOB station is right next to Banshee and that area is already packed over there I think the end of Coney would be best for evening out crowds.  There hasn't been a big shiny new attraction there in a while.  At least not one that will draw the crowds of a giga, invert or hyper.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KeithnDayton said:

I've never been able to get a good feel or idea for how the SOB station could be used for another coaster. I just don't see a way to fit track between The Bat and Banshee that works. What are people ideas? diagrams? thoughts? wild conceptual designs? I'm mainly thinking of how to locate the track so a coaster could get in, turn around, and get back out. Would it potentially interact with The Bat or Banshee? Would that even be possible with the particular layouts of those two coasters near the old SOB station?

Possible, I think yes.  Likely, I say no.

That area is already fairly congested and adding another roller coaster back there I think would make it worse.

When I was looking at it I noticed that google maps still has SoB in their aerial view.

• Like 3

I'm in the "unlikely to use SOB's station or to even be in Action Zone" camp. It's just too crowded and congested already. If Invertigo and Congo Falls were gone, then maybe it would be located on that side of Action Zone but space there seems tight with the parking lot and Timberwolf. My most likely spots are at the end of Coney Mall in the DA/old Flight Commander vicinity, as part of some sort of X-base expansion, or *gulp* as a Vortex replacement (ordered by likeliness).

• Like 3

As far a timing, I think it's pretty clear we're looking at 2020. Think about it....

Magnum XL-200 built in 1989 +20 years = Diamondback in 2009

Raptor built in 1994 + 20 years = Banshee in 2014

Millennium Force in 2000 + 20 years = Giga in 2020

That's called logic boys and girls ;)

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, diamondhawk said:

As far a timing, I think it's pretty clear we're looking at 2020. Think about it....

Magnum XL-200 built in 1989 +20 years = Diamondback in 2009

Raptor built in 1994 + 20 years = Banshee in 2014

Millennium Force in 2000 + 20 years = Giga in 2020

That's called logic boys and girls ;)

I've had this thought for a while but I didn't want to share it because I didn't think anyone would see it the same way... Bravo!

Basically whatever newer coaster Cedar Point has, that's the coaster we're least likely to get. 

Launched for 2027

Wing for 2033

Dive for 2036

• Like 1

Im predicting giga on the 50th anniversary. No logical reason aside from it being the most appropriate for the occasion.. I would be surprised for anything else.

The high station of SOB is perfect for a giga since B&m (the now likely candidate) likes to end their gigas fairly far off the ground...

I agree though that coney mall towards Dinos makes sense... but I think a high thrill flat would make more sense than to close DA and rip up all the pathways they have now.

I think if they close Dinos, they will try to find a new use that lets the pathways stay.

Kis 50th in 2021. Im waiting: p

• Like 3

I agree that it will come the 50th Anniversary. Also, the idea of RMC Racer isn't so strong for me, could happen but it's too classic. Vortex is a ride I fell like KI will keep as long as possible, The time they will close it is when parts become too expensive, I can see it staying for maybe until 2025 after then I think it might start becoming too much for the park to handle. For the Giga could use the S.O.B station our they could build in X-base and run it through DA (if they get rid of it)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

All these coaster enthusiasts are predicting that it will replace Dinosaurs Alive but I believe that they can coexist. Plus I don't like the name Gigasaur that some Youtubers are predicting

Yea Gigasaur is an awful name. To simple I want it to be creative and interesting. 

• Like 2

I made some renderings on what I think a giga in X-Base would look like. The coaster in this concept runs along a straight, relatively flat section of land that would require minimal tree removal and would over all be a more economic choice. I didn't really factor in any specific turns, except after the first drop, to convey the overall shape of the ride. Also notice how Dinosaur's Alive hasn't even been touched. I'll provide a more detailed rendering soon.

Projected giga.png

Thoughts?

• Like 4

^Im with you. That entire section you tanned over is basically an area for maintenance shops, so thats a no go. Granted, the idea about using that route through the trees may be alright, but they'd have to do some creative support work to get around all the maintenance roads.  Not that creative support work or interacting with preexisting paths is out of the question or anything. 

That said, I'm expecting the layout to be a bit more twisted than a simple L-shaped out and back. We already essentially have that in both Diamondback, and to a lesser extent Racer, so I could see more diversity coming in this attraction. Especially if KI continues its trend of abusing the terrain with low to the ground twisty sections. Of course, thats just mean wanting another I305. Because I305 is perfect

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chugh43 said:

With your idea, they'd be removing a bunch of maintenance shops....ones that work well. That's specific location isn't likely to happen. 

Also, the area to the north of Firehawk does become a bit steeper closer to the maintenance road. 

I agree maintenance shops are important but in all honesty stuff has to be removed or relocated whenever a new coaster in built. That's the only place in the park that I could think of that would make some sense if they were going to put a giga somewhere. Everyone wants X-Base restrooms and more attractions but the only way to do that is to compromise the maintenance area. 

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

Agree maintenance shops are important but in all honesty stuff has to be removed or relocated whenever a new coaster in built. That's the only place in the park that I could think of that would make some sense if they were going to put a giga somewhere. Everyone wants X-Base restrooms and more attractions but the only way to do that is to compromise the maintenance area. 

Trust me though, they're not going to remove maintenance shops for a coaster installation anytime soon, especially since there is land elsewhere for it, whether it's for a station or for track. 

If they were to remove or relocate those shops (they wouldn't just remove them, they're essential to operation) they'd have to build new facilities before an off-season first before they removed those. They are too essential just to eliminate once construction starts on an attraction that would be built there. 

Remember, what everyone on KIC claims to want doesn't mean it's going to happen. Compromise is good, but it's not like the park is compromising with any guests to say "hey, we can put a coaster, a flat and maybe some restrooms in X-Base but we've gotta get rid of those maintenance facilities."  That would be like saying Planet Snoopy needs a new coaster, the best location we at KIC think would be toward the parking lot behind Surf Dog and Woodstock Express because they don't use a lot of that space for guests. Yet, they've got essential maintenance shops/offices for the day to day operations there. 

Do I think they should put bathrooms, another attraction and maybe a Giga in X-Base? Sure....but I would not want them to compromise the maintenance facilities just because I think they should put those things there. There is plenty of land to be used where they wouldn't need to compromise the maintenance facilities. 

• Like 7

^^^ Perfectly said. KI has space for sure to put a Giga but as said early the space needed will have to be wider and more complexed then a Stander Out and Back Hyper. It would be like a Twister or Something Like Fury and I305. Low to the ground high-speed Banked Turns with Some Airtime. So they space needed will have to be bigger. So overall the place you picked wouldn't work great at the end of the day.

• Like 1

I think you could possibly fit it into X-Base without affecting the maintenence shops. If you go to the left when walkign into X-Base, next to FoF there is an open space there with enough room to run a path between Racer and FoF building to reach it. Always thought it would be a good spot for a flat or two and possibly restrooms  for the area. Maybe even a quick service food spot. But you could probably fit a station for a giga there and the queue then have the lift and return run between FoF building and AE. 

• Like 4