The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

• 3 weeks later...

Double Post

Didn't Greg Shied say that it takes typically two-three years to plan a coaster? I thought I remembered him saying that in an interview after the announcement of MT. Wouldn't that mean that after the release of a new coaster, they immediately look at the next one they want to build? The only thing that would contradict my claim is the gap between Diamondback and Banshee.

I believe Don? at the announcement for Mystic Timbers said that they had started planning MT since Prowler beat out Diamondback for best new ride in 2009. Obviously it depends on each ride based on size,location,terrain,theming but I would guess each coaster is in the works for at least 3 years before announcement. 

On 2/5/2017 at 10:50 PM, MDMC01 said:

Cool name, I instantly thought of a purple, turquoise and black color scheme- purple track, turquoise track and black supports. Vespertine could be like have some snake-like low to the ground turns along with some airtime hills.

So like Fury 325 with a Mako color scheme? That's a good look. The colors blue and green standout to me the most

On 1/25/2017 at 10:50 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Racer would most likely get RMC'd before it would be demolished. The ride is too iconic to be demolished, especially with the way the roller coaster industry is constantly improving and innovating rides. 

I want racer to be RMC'd but I think it will make some people since it, as you said, is very iconic and people will be disappointed the coaster designed by Mr, Allen will be completely changed. 

For example I asked my friend KIghostguy what he thought about it and he said he hopes it will never happen.

If Kings Island got an intense coaster I think it will be an intamin blitz, because KI doesn't have an intamin coaster yet

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

So like Fury 325 with a Mako color scheme? That's a good look. The colors blue and green standout to me the most

Essentially, I guess. I didn't realize Mako had similar colors until I looked at pics of it ^_^

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chugh43 said:

Highly unlikely in the near future that KI and/or it's parent company Cedar Fair would be working with Intamin to bring a coaster in.

I agree 100%!! B&M offers a great Giga concept. Fury is amazing!!! I think Intiman coined the phrase Giga Coaster so other companies have to refer to them as Hyper Coasters. What I would absolutely love to see is Kings Island get a Mack Giga Coaster. They look a lot like Intiman but are much more reliable. Cedar Fair and Mack are in good standing and have recently worked together. "CoastRider @KBF" I know if we get a Giga it's likely coming from B&M but I'd love to see Kings Island bring the first Mack Giga to the U.S. Also the seats and restraints look amazing on this model of Mack coasters. 

IMG_0592.PNG

• Like 2

^ Mack has only built two coasters over 200 ft tall, both are 200.2 ft. tall and the second has not opened yet.  Building a Giga would be a giant leap for Mack.  Do not underestimate the difficulty of building a bigger coaster.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Kenban said:

^ Mack has only built two coasters over 200 ft tall, both are 200.2 ft. tall and the second has not opened yet.  Building a Giga would be a giant leap for Mack.  Do not underestimate the difficulty of building a bigger coaster.

I think Mack could do it. I know building a Giga is a daunting task. But I seen articles saying they could go over 300 feet. This is a picture straight from their website. It says "200ft and more" which I think indicates they can hit that mark. They are just so dang expensive. Regardless of it happens or not. That's the manufacturer I'd love to see get the KI Giga if it happens. Plus it would be the most unique Cedar Fair Giga in the chain. I know it will more than likely be B&M. And if it's anything like Fury I'm good with that.

IMG_0594.PNG

• Like 3

B&M certainly has more experience when it comes to Giga's over Mack. I absolutely love Fury, it's my number 1. If Kings Island got anything close to that I'd be a happy camper. I'd just like to see Kings Island go with a different manufacturer & since Intiman is a no go I'd love for it to be Mack. But like you stated B&M is tried and true. You can't go wrong with them. If Kings Island gets a Giga, we as fans are the true winners!!! Regardless if it's B&M or Mack.

What if, since we'll likely wait awhile for a giga what if we, if we ever grt a 300+ coaster, end up skipping giga and going straight for a 400ft coaster? Fury is 325ft, and who knows who might try to up that concerning non-launched coasters.. i think not likely.. but.. maybe at least expecting taller than Fury.

Kings Island IMO is really only a giga and one uniquely thrilling coaster away from being more well known than CP. Something less umique as unique SOB was.. but perhaps as unique as strata coasters are.. or dive coasters.. or drop track coasters? Idk.

I'm also still waiting for a beyond 90° drop at KI.

Edit- or one AT 90° steep drops are not KIs strong suit like at CP or heck even Hersheypark and Dollywood have us beat by two steep coasters.

2 hours ago, calakapepe said:

Kings Island IMO is really only a giga and one uniquely thrilling coaster away from being more well known than CP. Something less umique as unique SOB was.. but perhaps as unique as strata coasters are.. or dive coasters.. or drop track coasters? Idk.

I'm also still waiting for a beyond 90° drop at KI.

Edit- or one AT 90° steep drops are not KIs strong suit like at CP or heck even Hersheypark and Dollywood have us beat by two steep coasters.

I'm really craving a B&M Dive Machine in the park. I know that our park doesn't really need one, and we probably won't get one any time soon, but I enjoy them and they offer 90° drops and an indescribable experience. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 11:58 AM, calakapepe said:

Kings Island IMO is really only a giga and one uniquely thrilling coaster away from being more well known than CP.

Cedar Point has two things that KI doesn't...nearly 100 years of additional history and Lake Erie.  It would be hard for any one additional investment at KI to overcome those two items.

Having said that, I do agree that KI is a giga coaster away from being in the "best coaster destination in the US" conversation.  Building Diamondback really changed everything for the park.  Having an extremely popular, tall, high capacity coaster at the park really took the park to another level.  With the opening of Mystic Timbers the park will have four world-class coasters - two really good wooden coasters, one of the best inverts in Banshee, and the aforementioned Diamondback.  Adding a giga would bring the park a fifth world-class coaster, and more importantly for the park, would give the park a marquee, no-doubt-about-it signature attraction.

As I said earlier, I still believe that Kings Island will get a giga sooner rather than later.  I think building Mystic Timbers first was smart and will allow Kings Island to have more popular attractions in the lineup to help soak up some of the additional crowds that the giga would bring.  All of the changes at Kings Island and the better infrastructure around Kings Island (Western Row/I-71 construction) just feels like something big is coming.

In 2008 there was one world-class coaster (Beast).  In a few years we might have five.  Kings Island is ready to hit the big time.   

• Like 6

KI's history really is Coney Island's history which is only 16 years after Cedar Point opened.. Lake Erie is impossible to beat.. but idk for most others, but I dont know any friends or family that go to Cedar Point because its got coasters and a beach... i only ever hear them talk about the coasters... for whatever that's worth.
I think Cedar Point gets to feel more like a resort with all the different styles of arrival, and being where it is, but park wise, I dont really think CP offers an incredible amount more that it can't ever be met.. sans an unforeseen revolutionary addition

• Like 2

The amount of people that will ride Fury 325 and know/care that there is a similar ride a handful of feet taller 500 miles away will be small.  Of those that do care, a small percentage will actually ride both.  KI and CP compete for that middle of ohio family that comes to one park or the other once or twice a season.  They complement each other for the family that travels from out of state and wants to spend a couple of days at the Island and a couple of days at the Pointe as their summer vacation.  From that standpoint, I doubt we'll see KI install a dive coaster to rival  CPs dive coaster anytime soon, and I doubt we'll see CP install a GCI woodie to rival Mystic Timber any time soon.  That way, each park gives that middle of Ohio family a choice to hit one park this year, and the other park next year, while giving the out of area enthusiast family a reason to hit each park on their swing thru Ohio.

Kings Island and Carrowinds don't really compete for much business, so KI getting something similar, but a few feet taller won't have much impact on operations down in the Carolinas now that Fury 325 is a couple of seasons old. 

• Like 5