The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

Also Cedar Fair "out-competed" itself between Intimidator 305 and Leviathan(306ft), between Fury 325 and the other two; Intimidator 305 being fairly close by Fury.
Its based on the trend that the next giga from CF keeps being slightly taller. Though people know it’s not a guarantee for that, let alone getting a giga at all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, medford said:

The amount of people that will ride Fury 325 and know/care that there is a similar ride a handful of feet taller 500 miles away will be small.  Of those that do care, a small percentage will actually ride both.  KI and CP compete for that middle of ohio family that comes to one park or the other once or twice a season.  They complement each other for the family that travels from out of state and wants to spend a couple of days at the Island and a couple of days at the Pointe as their summer vacation.  From that standpoint, I doubt we'll see KI install a dive coaster to rival  CPs dive coaster anytime soon, and I doubt we'll see CP install a GCI woodie to rival Mystic Timber any time soon.  That way, each park gives that middle of Ohio family a choice to hit one park this year, and the other park next year, while giving the out of area enthusiast family a reason to hit each park on their swing thru Ohio.

Kings Island and Carrowinds don't really compete for much business, so KI getting something similar, but a few feet taller won't have much impact on operations down in the Carolinas now that Fury 325 is a couple of seasons old. 

Also Fury 325 has established itself now and will still have a couple seasons before KI would open one as well. So it's record being beat wouldn't really affect Fury too much. However, being able to boast tallest, fastest, etc. is great for marketing a new coaster and being people in to a new ride. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 10:15 AM, medford said:

From that standpoint, I doubt we'll see KI install a dive coaster to rival CPs dive coaster anytime soon, and I doubt we'll see CP install a GCI woodie to rival Mystic Timbers any time soon.  That way, each park gives that middle of Ohio family a choice to hit one park this year, and the other park next year, while giving the out of area enthusiast family a reason to hit each park on their swing thru Ohio.

I think that what you said is on the money. With all this said though, what types of coasters are left for KI to get? A 4d wing coaster like Joker at Great Adventure? A mack? Etc

2 hours ago, chugh43 said:

I'd rather be stuck on The Great Pumpkin coaster for a thousand years than KI getting a 4D "Free Fly" Coaster like the Six Parks have been getting.

I always thought they were GP pleasers that could fit in tight spaces. I've never had the opportunity to ride one, are they really that bad?

5 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I always thought they were GP pleasers that could fit in tight spaces. I've never had the opportunity to ride one, are they really that bad?

I've never been on one, but they seem to be such a capacity nightmare and/or one trick pony. I guess personally for me, I like to feel like I go somewhere on a coaster.  I don't see myself enjoying going up to the left for a little bit, going down, going right for a little bit and so on. Lol. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

The gimmick was decent, but when EVERY Six Park has been getting one it has definitely lost what made it unique and is really making it similar to a Vekoma Boomerang in that regard. Wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Fair somehow got in on the trend, as I have seen they are cheap as far as Roller Coasters go.

On 3/22/2017 at 0:19 PM, Mystic.Timber1 said:

I want racer to be RMC'd but I think it will make some people since it, as you said, is very iconic and people will be disappointed the coaster designed by Mr, Allen will be completely changed. 

For example I asked my friend KIghostguy what he thought about it and he said he hopes it will never happen.

If Kings Island got an intense coaster I think it will be an intamin blitz, because KI doesn't have an intamin coaster yet

I would love to see Racer get RMC'd similar to Twisted Colossus, but it probably won't happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HTCO said:

I would love to see Racer get RMC'd similar to Twisted Colossus, but it probably won't happen.

It would be a very divisive coaster if it did happen. You would probably have people not wanting the original changed, and the others looking forward to the changes. Both sides of the argument make sense, and I don't think Kings Island necessarily needs an RMC. We have a 2 very historic wooden coasters and our "modern" wooden coaster, which is a very good balance.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2017 at 11:12 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Depends who makes it, a ZacSpin from Intamin is terrible, there is a reason Six Flags only ever purchased one.  While an S&S Free Spin is actually fun and enjoyable.  I would prefer a Sky Rocket 2 if the park wants something compact.

Regarding Racer getting RMCed: I've come to the decision that I'd love to see RMC tackle The Racer, but ONLY if the layout is not changed. Shut it down after this season, rip out all of the wooden track and replace it all with the steel Iron Horse track, deconstruct and rebuild supports as needed, give the whole thing a fresh coat of paint, and reopen it in spring of 2019. But leave the layout and the racing aspect alone.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

Regarding Racer getting RMCed: I've come to the decision that I'd love to see RMC tackle The Racer, but ONLY if the layout is not changed. Shut it down after this season, rip out all of the wooden track and replace it all with the steel Iron Horse track, deconstruct and rebuild supports as needed, give the whole thing a fresh coat of paint, and reopen it in spring of 2019. But leave the layout and the racing aspect alone.

Agreed, I wouldn't want to see that Mobius Loop either. That's just gimmicky IMO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

I'd prefer RMC Topper track for Racer because it would keep it in the "wooden" coaster category. Iron Horse or "IBox" track would classify it as a hybrid. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I'd prefer RMC Topper track for Racer because it would keep it in the "wooden" coaster category. Iron Horse or "IBox" track would classify it as a hybrid. 

A Hyrbid would be something new for the park, but I wouldn't want Racer being changed (sans Topper Track) anytime soon! I think the only Hybrid we would ever get is a new hybrid coaster, and not an Iron Horse remake.

15 minutes ago, shadow9542 said:

A Hyrbid would be something new for the park, but I wouldn't want Racer being changed (sans Topper Track) anytime soon! I think the only Hybrid we would ever get is a new hybrid coaster, and not an Iron Horse remake.

I think Adventure Express would beg to differ :P

But I see what you mean, an RMC hybrid! I don't think I'd want Racer touched, other than maybe regular maintenance of replacing wood and maybe a repaint of its current colors.

Also, speaking of RMC, did you hear about their new project coming to Kiddytown in 2018? Check it out on Coaster101!

• Like 1

I think Adventure Express would beg to differ
But I see what you mean, an RMC hybrid! I don't think I'd want Racer touched, other than maybe regular maintenance of replacing wood and maybe a repaint of its current colors.
Also, speaking of RMC, did you hear about their new project coming to Kiddytown in 2018? Check it out on Coaster101!

That was very funny!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think The Racer will get some major trackwork done soon. I think a lot of the GP will be surprised how smooth wooden coasters can be after they ride MT.

Hopefully after MT opens, people won't stop riding The Racer because they think it's too rough now. :(

• Like 2

Back to gigas, what elements do you think we boule potentially see on the giga? Low to the ground turns like I305 or more hills and overbanks like Fury?

In addition, what elements would you like to see?

Personally (assuming it will be B&M) they will keep it like fury instead of trying the Intamin route because, as the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it

15 hours ago, calakapepe said:

Conversely, some GP would be surprised how rough a wooden coaster can be and still be popular now that SOB had its accident and now is gone. KIs woodies arent nearly as rough as they used to be thankfully.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Concerning some of the GP, SOB was popular in spite of its roughness.  I still remember all the posts around the internet of GP defending its roughness.  It was quite a polarizing ride, that's for sure.  I've never seen such split opinions on a coaster before. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Concerning some of the GP, SOB was popular in spite of its roughness.  I still remember all the posts around the internet of GP defending its roughness.  It was quite a polarizing ride, that's for sure.  I've never seen such split opinions on a coaster before. 

And hopefully because The Racer is a classic, it will be loved as long as it is still open:)

On 4/2/2017 at 0:09 AM, DiamondBanshee said:

Back to gigas, what elements do you think we boule potentially see on the giga? Low to the ground turns like I305 or more hills and overbanks like Fury?

In addition, what elements would you like to see?

Personally (assuming it will be B&M) they will keep it like fury instead of trying the Intamin route because, as the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it

Kings Island's newer coasters are pretty incomparable to other coasters throughout the world. I honestly think KI puts it's own twist on the rides they get so they're more unique and stand out. In short, if KI gets a B&M giga, I highly doubt that it'll be a close comparison to Leviathan or Fury 325- it'll be it's own thing.

• Like 1

I kind of hope for one more int he style of Intimidator since we have Diamondback for the coninuous airtime hills. But would take either. Still get a little different feel with the speed and forces of a giga compared to a hyper.

On 3/31/2017 at 8:02 PM, purdude86 said:

I would love a custom RMC but in that field that wants Racer to remain as a classic woodie. They gives very different ride from the others but would put it down the line some since we just got a GCI. 

By saying we "just got a GCI" is kind of spoiled, some Cedar Fair parks havent gotten rides in years. Plus GCI coasters are amazing, not as good as RMC's, but still really great rides and MT is going to be great

1 hour ago, Mystic.Timber1 said:

By saying we "just got a GCI" is kind of spoiled, some Cedar Fair parks havent gotten rides in years. Plus GCI coasters are amazing, not as good as RMC's, but still really great rides and MT is going to be great

I don't mean just in the sense of that's all we got, I meant just as in we received one right now. I'm very excited for MT and think it looks amazing 

• Like 2

On 4/2/2017 at 10:29 PM, purdude86 said:

I kind of hope for one more int he style of Intimidator since we have Diamondback for the coninuous airtime hills. But would take either. Still get a little different feel with the speed and forces of a giga compared to a hyper.

Fury is nothing like Diamondback. Fury is known for its speed and intensity. Sure, it has some airtime but that's not what it's about. Diamondback is an airtime machine and a darn great at that. I wouldn't mind getting an Intiman Giga. But the 2 closest Giga's to KI are both Intiman, I305 & Millie. Personally I'd love to see Mack get into the Giga game. They haven't done one yet but they've stayed they can. That would be pretty unique I think. The only Giga in the CF chain by Mack. But in all likeliness it will probably be a B&M and after getting over 20 rides on Fury this past weekend I'm ok with that.

I know this  rumor has been going around for awhile now & I do believe it's gonna happen eventually. But has anyone every heard any of the KI employees or Cedar Fair higher ups acknowledge this KI Giga or even hint around about the possibility?