The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

Uh...that layout is a mirrored Fury 325....

It wouldn't work anyway to build that far in that direction because the hill drops off towards the Little Miami River a lot by the point it got out that far.  

If you're going to put up possible layouts, remember that along KI's eastern and southern edges, its on top of a very big hill. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Uh...that layout is a mirrored Fury 325....

It wouldn't work anyway to build that far in that direction because the hill drops off towards the Little Miami River a lot by the point it got out that far.  

If you're going to put up possible layouts, remember that along KI's western and southern edges, its on top of a very big hill. 

Uuuuh.....Ever heard of Six Flags Magic Mountain?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

^The hill surrounding KI is much, much steeper and taller with extremely dense woods.  Also, KI can't build within a certain distance of the Little Miami River. 

Kings Island's elevation change drops from 747 to 683 (64') if you start at DA entrance and stop at the access road just behind the farthest point of DA, which is about where a giga could change direction to head over towards Firehawk. Magic Mountain's elevation change from the top of the hill near Superman drops about 1182 to 1080 (102') if you go down towards Twisted Colossus. SFMM's hill has about 5 or 6 coasters on it. My point is, with the right design, engineering and technology make just about anything doable. 

• Like 1

It will also drive the costs way up to build the supports to build tall elements needed for a giga on that type of terrain and clear that all.  It'd be more practical and cheaper to build behind Banshee for a giga.  

If it was another type of coaster like a Maverick type ride or a custom RMC, sure, but this thread is about a potential giga.  

• Like 1

^Yes it could drive up the cost but working with terrain could also make it cheaper. If it used the terrain it can drop much lower than it rises making it cost less. In addition if it rises with the hills that’ll cut cost even more! Lightning Rod does this to perfection.

Plus, we haven’t seen a terrain giga yet. If one were to be built, Kings Island would be one of the most likely places for it because it has some terrain! If done right, in my opinion, a terrain giga could potentially be one of he best coasters in the world! Not to mention it would look incredible, only being able to see the peaks of an absolutely massive roller coaster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A new spark of hope just ignited into my little KI fanboy heart. I know it’s nothing grand or confirmed, yet, it’s the icing on the cake of such a fantastic and memorable year at Kings Island. The future is bright for us Kings Island enthusiasts.

• Like 3

I don't understand why everyone thinks we are getting a Giga in the next few years? It took five years to get Banshee after Diamondback. It took three years to get Mystic after Banshee. Why would Cedar Fair drop $30 million on a giga two or three years after dropping like $12-$15 million on Mystic?

KI doesn't need a giga anyway. There are far more pressing issues that need addressed prior to adding the next coaster. For all that Cedar Fair has done for the park, the park's charm and the overall guest experience have greatly suffered. There are honestly parts of the park that are embarrassingly neglected.

Roller coasters do not define a park.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, LoadAndGo said:

I don't understand why everyone thinks we are getting a Giga in the next few years? It took five years to get Banshee after Diamondback. It took three years to get Mystic after Banshee. Why would Cedar Fair drop $30 million on a giga two or three years after dropping like $12-$15 million on Mystic?

KI doesn't need a giga anyway. There are far more pressing issues that need addressed prior to adding the next coaster. For all that Cedar Fair has done for the park, the park's charm and the overall guest experience have greatly suffered. There are honestly parts of the park that are embarrassingly neglected.

Finally, someone who gets it. Thank you. Agree 100%. 

• Like 4

I do not disagree with your sentiment but do not allow past decisions to try and prognosticate the current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, LoadAndGo said:

I look forward to a giga, if we get one.  I will say that I am very encouraged by the 2017 season and how it changed KI.  Instrumental music on I-Street again that is supposed to be back.  Fantastic theming surrounding Mystic Timbers.  Winterfest totally brought back the magic I remember from my childhood.  I think great days are ahead, giga or not.

• Like 6