The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

I don't consider a giga coaster "special ", I want something to fill our lineup with something we don't have, I'm really thinking if Hangtime takes off, I can easily see an infinity coaster, or if MACK starts to take off in the US... also we don't really need any of those coasters, it's not like the park is dying.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

In all fairness the average family (that is going to be your biggest spenders in the park) does not know what a Giga is or will care to much for it without older kids. I want a giga as much as the next enthusiast, but the days I am taking my family with 3 kids (12,7, and 3) I want a ride things all of my family can ride together. MT added to that family line up very well. A family does not need a Giga to have a good time at KI.

Exactly. CF doesn't build parks for enthusiasts. We are such a small percentage of guests. I would love to ride a giga at KI as much as the next enthusiast, but I would rather see more diverse, immersive, and interactive attractions added first. I would love to see our current attractions updated and improved as well.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, LoadAndGo said:

Exactly. CF doesn't build parks for enthusiasts. We are such a small percentage of guests. I would love to ride a giga at KI as much as the next enthusiast, but I would rather see more diverse, immersive, and interactive attractions added first. I would love to see our current attractions updated and improved as well.

We'd still get that. A giga would just be another huge thrill coaster like what Diamondback and Banshee are. The reason they put in Mystic was because they wanted something that more families could enjoy together. Don Helbig stated at no coaster con that when they were thinking about putting in MT, a lot of different options were available to them and he said this "what do we do dark ride we put in a giga what do we do" so that spoke to me that it confirms we will see both eventually. I know they explored the options. He also mentioned that a factor was something that more families could enjoy together. So I totally get what Don Helbig is saying. I think that this giga will be for the thrill seekers. And after the giga, we won't see another coaster for a long time after that so I think after the giga, we will see more family stuff added. I definitely would love some sort of dark ride in the crypt building.

3 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

In all fairness the average family (that is going to be your biggest spenders in the park) does not know what a Giga is or will care to much for it without older kids. I want a giga as much as the next enthusiast, but the days I am taking my family with 3 kids (12,7, and 3) I want a ride things all of my family can ride together. MT added to that family line up very well. A family does not need a Giga to have a good time at KI.

Kings Island tends to add a lot of stuff for the thrill seekers as well. Mystic Timbers really in my opinion did great for the families which was the reason they chose it over a giga. I'm wanting a giga mostly so I can see if it changes the GPs view of Diamondback. Like to most GP, Diamondback is like the tallest thing ever (to those who haven't been to CP). Also, this giga would please both the enthusiasts and GP. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

We'd still get that. A giga would just be another huge thrill coaster like what Diamondback and Banshee are. The reason they put in Mystic was because they wanted something that more families could enjoy together. Don Helbig stated at no coaster con that when they were thinking about putting in MT, a lot of different options were available to them and he said this "what do we do dark ride we put in a giga what do we do" so that spoke to me that it confirms we will see both eventually. I know they explored the options. He also mentioned that a factor was something that more families could enjoy together. So I totally get what Don Helbig is saying. I think that this giga will be for the thrill seekers. And after the giga, we won't see another coaster for a long time after that so I think after the giga, we will see more family stuff added. I definitely would love some sort of dark ride in the crypt building.

I honestly didn't understand most of what you tried to say. I know a lot of people on here are fans of Don's, but he doesn't play any role in park development. No disrespect to Don, but he doesn't have a seat at that table. That's simply not the way the company is structured, nor is that a part of his job description.

• Like 2

Too lazy to quote, so I'm just going to throw a few thoughts out there.

Kings Island's main market is the Midwest, drawing in crowds from most of southern Ohio (northern Ohio is Cedar Point's territory), Kentucky and southern Indiana, and the surrounding states - as an employee, I regularly encounter people from Tennessee, Illinois, and Pennsylvania (though I'd imagine Kennywood/Hersheypark/Knoebels/Dorney Park draw a lot of Pennsylvania). In this market, the main competition is Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom; two smaller parks, but with large audience draws - Holiday World has several world-class woodies, a fantastic water park, and outstanding customer service and park experience, while Kentucky Kingdom has an RMC and a good flat ride lineup (from what I hear, I am planning my first KK trip for this summer). Both of these draw from two of KI's main records/draws (Best Children's Area in the World for 17 years in a row, and Most Wooden Track in a park) and directly challenge Soak City and KI's own history as a family-friendly park with good guest interaction. Kings Island's most recent additions are DIRECT responses to the challenges set forth by the competition.

2014 - Banshee

2015 - Planet Snoopy expansion

2016 - Tropical Plunge

2017 - Mystic Timbers (winner of 2017's Best New Ride by the Golden Ticket Awards) and Winterfest (attempt to please the market with guest experience and a throwback to the "good ol' days")

2018 - ... (New building in Coney Mall, likely quality of life improvements throughout the park?)

So what am I getting at? Kings Island's main concern right now is market dominance in the Midwest (sans Cedar Point). They already have the tallest and fastest [citation needed] roller coasters in the area, and are acting very re-actively to market developments rather than proactively. This year break is much needed - the park's focus on the market has left its other inner workings lackluster. I see more complaints about the terrible parking lot (the employee lot is worse, I guarantee it), slow food service and bad Point of Sale systems, and a degrading family-friendly atmosphere (which I don't agree with). I see the addition of a new Coney Mall restaurant as a godsend, because they may bundle in an upgrade to PoS systems park-wide and put an end to the slow and unproductive food service (no offense to food service employees, but please, step it up, especially in Cornerstone Cafe).

Looking to the future, what may the park do next? To look at that, we have to see how the Midwest market is evolving. 2018 brings Kentucky Kingdom two new flat rides, and two new attractions to their 5D theater, while Holiday World invests further into its water park. 2019 has murmurings of new coasters at both Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom. Seeing as KI has been largely reactive rather than proactive to developments in the market, this is what I believe the timeline for park development will be:

2018 - QoL improvements, upgrades to PoS systems, focus on guest experience and service

2019 - New flat rides (Antique Cars, new Coney Mall flats, new Planet Snoopy rides, or a combination thereof)

2020 - Water park expansion (new water slide, possibly in place of Mondo Monsoon)

2021 - Giga (new addition to Action Zone, reuses/upgrades Son of Beast's queue)

2022 - 50th! Repaint/new light package on Racer and other classic rides

In conclusion, I find all of this "writing in the snow" and "DAE Kings Island NEEDS a giga?!?!?!" talk really annoying and quite childish. Kings Island does not care about what we, a small group of enthusiasts want, but rather what the general population want - and right now, that's looking like more immersive experiences, good customer service, and family fun. The time will come when Kings Island has reset itself as the King of the Midwest market, and after some housekeeping and ride padding, will unveil the biggest and baddest giga that the world has seen. We can let Fury 325 hold that title for a few more years ;).

P.S.: I'm going to scream if I see another person say it's going to be an Intamin. I will eat an announcement flyer for any Intamin coaster that makes its way into Kings Island within the next decade, quote me on that.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, mayaman2 said:

Kings Island's main market is the Midwest, drawing in crowds from most of southern Ohio (northern Ohio is Cedar Point's territory), Kentucky and southern Indiana, and the surrounding states - as an employee, I regularly encounter people from Tennessee, Illinois, and Pennsylvania (though I'd imagine Kennywood/Hersheypark/Knoebels/Dorney Park draw a lot of Pennsylvania). In this market, the main competition is Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom; two smaller parks, but with large audience draws - Holiday World has several world-class woodies, a fantastic water park, and outstanding customer service and park experience, while Kentucky Kingdom has an RMC and a good flat ride lineup (from what I hear, I am planning my first KK trip for this summer). Both of these draw from two of KI's main records/draws (Best Children's Area in the World for 17 years in a row, and Most Wooden Track in a park) and directly challenge Soak City and KI's own history as a family-friendly park with good guest interaction. Kings Island's most recent additions are DIRECT responses to the challenges set forth by the competition.

2014 - Banshee

2016 - Tropical Plunge

2017 - Mystic Timbers (winner of 2017's Best New Ride by the Golden Ticket Awards) and Winterfest (attempt to please the market with guest experience and a throwback to the "good ol' days")

2018 - ... (New building in Coney Mall, likely quality of life improvements throughout the park?)

So what am I getting at? Kings Island's main concern right now is market dominance in the Midwest (sans Cedar Point). They already have the tallest and fastest [citation needed] roller coasters in the area, and are acting very re-actively to market developments rather than proactively. This year break is much needed - the park's focus on the market has left its other inner workings lackluster. I see more complaints about the terrible parking lot (the employee lot is worse, I guarantee it), slow food service and bad Point of Sale systems, and a degrading family-friendly atmosphere (which I don't agree with). I see the addition of a new Coney Mall restaurant as a godsend, because they may bundle in an upgrade to PoS systems park-wide and put an end to the slow and unproductive food service (no offense to food service employees, but please, step it up, especially in Cornerstone Cafe).

Looking to the future, what may the park do next? To look at that, we have to see how the Midwest market is evolving. 2018 brings Kentucky Kingdom two new flat rides, and two new attractions to their 5D theater, while Holiday World invests further into its water park. 2019 has murmurings of new coasters at both Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom. Seeing as KI has been largely reactive rather than proactive to developments in the market, this is what I believe the timeline for park development will be:

2018 - QoL improvements, upgrades to PoS systems, focus on guest experience and service

2019 - New flat rides (Antique Cars, new Coney Mall flats, new Planet Snoopy rides, or a combination thereof)

2020 - Water park expansion (new water slide, possibly in place of Mondo Monsoon)

In conclusion, I find this "writing in the snow" and "DAE Kings Island NEEDS a giga" really annoying and quite childish. Kings Island does not care about what we, a small group of enthusiasts want, but rather what the general population want - and right now, that's looking like more immersive experiences, good customer service, and family fun. The time will come when Kings Island has reset itself as the King of the Midwest market, and after some housekeeping and ride padding, will unveil the biggest and baddest giga that the world has seen. We can let Fury 325 hold that title for a few more years ;).

P.S.: I'm going to scream if I see another person say it's going to be an Intamin. I will eat an announcement flyer for any Intamin coaster that makes its way into Kings Island within the next decade, quote me on that.

I'm in love with you

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mayaman2 said:

2014 - Banshee

2016 - Tropical Plunge

In conclusion, I find all of this "writing in the snow" and "DAE Kings Island NEEDS a giga?!?!?!" talk really annoying and quite childish. Kings Island does not care about what we, a small group of enthusiasts want, but rather what the general population want - and right now, that's looking like more immersive experiences, good customer service, and family fun. The time will come when Kings Island has reset itself as the King of the Midwest market, and after some housekeeping and ride padding, will unveil the biggest and baddest giga that the world has seen. We can let Fury 325 hold that title for a few more years ;).

I agree. I find it annoying when people think that Cedar Fair won't allow for a Kings Island giga because of Cedar Point. The main competition is Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World. I think the Kings Island market will some day get that huge skyscraping rollercoaster. I think for water park expansion, they should do it in 2020 since they tend to do a water park expansion every 4 years. I think they should put the water slide back in the back of the water park where the woods are where that out of the way family tube slide is. It would attract more people to that part of the water park. Giga in my opinion is definitely, but I'm constantly tossing years around. I'm currently thinking 2021, but I've tossed around 2019 (Diamondbacks/beasts anniversary where they usually add a coaster in years that end in 9s.) And 2020 (Millennium Force 20th anniversary which Kings Island added Banshee on Raptors 20th anniversary and added Diamondback on Magnum's 20th anniversary) I agree also on more flats. For example I think they should definitely put a flat on the old flight commander pad and use the old queue.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

A giga I made where it reuses Son of Beast's station. Yes, it does look a little long, but it's going to very fast so it has to be long. Also, it's a twister layout. It will combine the other 4 North American gigas in one. They'll also make the drop face Great Wolf Lodge.

IMG_20171213_161437_348.jpg

I think you're overestimating the amount of space between The Bat and Banshee where you have the lift starting. I also think you're underestimating the elevation changes in that part of the property as well as the sheer scale of coaster you're proposing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoadAndGo said:

I think you're overestimating the amount of space between The Bat and Banshee where you have the lift starting. I also think you're underestimating the elevation changes in that part of the property as well as the sheer scale of coaster you're proposing.

This is only a concept. I do get what you're saying. Like I can't create a picture like this with the elevations. I definitely think that they would find a way to make it work and have the coaster definitely use the terrain. Also, the ride can go over Banshee and The Bat. The Son of Beast station is much higher than that turn The Bat does by the station and it's a steel coaster so there would only be a few footers. There is more room between the Son of Beast station and Banshee than people think. This will be a terrain coaster for sure.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

This is only a concept. I do get what you're saying. Like I can't create a picture like this with the elevations. I definitely think that they would find a way to make it work and have the coaster definitely use the terrain. Also, the ride can go over Banshee and The Bat. The Son of Beast station is much higher than that turn The Bat does by the station and it's a steel coaster so there would only be a few footers. There is more room between the Son of Beast station and Banshee than people think. This will be a terrain coaster for sure.

I agree that wherever the presumed giga is built, it'll be a terrain coaster. I'm not so sure on using the SOB station. I feel like it would be more work to retrofit that station than simply building a new one. I also don't know if it makes sense to add such a large scale attraction that deep into an already congested dead end. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rhyano said:

Son of Beast's station looks bad, I'd rather not reuse SOB's old station..

I honestly wish they would demolish it. I love that a little piece of SOB still stands and I realize it's used for Haunt, but it looks so bad. Pull it down and rework that midway down to The Bat. Let the past die, kill it if you have to.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, mayaman2 said:

2014 - Banshee

2016 - Tropical Plunge

I like the sound of "the biggest, baddest giga." After Kings Island got Banshee in 2014, it wouldn't surprise me that if and when the park gets a giga, it will be massive. 

Regarding Son of Beast's station, it would be best to level it. It's cool to see a track section from Son of Beast still standing after 5 years since it was torn down, but it looks a little ugly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I agree. I find it annoying when people think that Cedar Fair won't allow for a Kings Island giga because of Cedar Point. The main competition is Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World. I think the Kings Island market will some day get that huge skyscraping rollercoaster. I think for water park expansion, they should do it in 2020 since they tend to do a water park expansion every 4 years. I think they should put the water slide back in the back of the water park where the woods are where that out of the way family tube slide is. It would attract more people to that part of the water park. Giga in my opinion is definitely, but I'm constantly tossing years around. I'm currently thinking 2021, but I've tossed around 2019 (Diamondbacks/beasts anniversary where they usually add a coaster in years that end in 9s.) And 2020 (Millennium Force 20th anniversary which Kings Island added Banshee on Raptors 20th anniversary and added Diamondback on Magnum's 20th anniversary) I agree also on more flats. For example I think they should definitely put a flat on the old flight commander pad and use the old queue.

Huh. Your comment made me realize that in my tangent, I completely forgot to plainly state what point I was trying to make.

2019 will not bring a giga to Kings Island.

The reason why I brought up the point about competition and how KI is largely reactive rather than proactive to market development is to show that it is still too soon for KI to stop reacting to the market, and probable future developments (2019 hyper at KK? 2020 coaster at HW?) will cause KI to react with a bigger, better coaster - maybe one that surpasses 300 feet? My point is, the competition that will spur a giga hasn't been built yet, thus there's no need for a reaction from KI - they still have the biggest and fastest [citation needed] roller coasters in their market, no need to compete with itself - the coaster wars are over, and competitive thrill rides are CP's area of expertise.

• Like 1

I agree that wherever the presumed giga is built, it'll be a terrain coaster. I'm not so sure on using the SOB station. I feel like it would be more work to retrofit that station than simply building a new one. I also don't know if it makes sense to add such a large scale attraction that deep into an already congested dead end. 

I somewhat agree with the “dead end” aspect but I also disagree to an extent. While yes this area is a dead end it would be great to put something back by The Bat because although I love it, it’s such a trek to get back to ride it. It was great when SoB was back there too because you had choices. I would usually go to Bat (Top Gun) then go straight to SoB. While I do think Banshee helps in getting people back there, it still doesn’t seem like enough because you still have to walk so much more to get to Bat, the only thing back there. Another “people eater” back there would definitely be awesome imo but I just don’t see enough space for a coaster. For the time being I think that area should be left alone and if/when the giga comes, it should go somewhere in or around Coney mall to help alleviate the congestion that is Beast, Diamondback, and MT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, mayaman2 said:

Huh. Your comment made me realize that in my tangent, I completely forgot to plainly state what point I was trying to make.

2019 will not bring a giga to Kings Island.

The reason why I brought up the point about competition and how KI is largely reactive rather than proactive to market development is to show that it is still too soon for KI to stop reacting to the market, and probable future developments (2019 hyper at KK? 2020 coaster at HW?) will cause KI to react with a bigger, better coaster - maybe one that surpasses 300 feet? My point is, the competition that will spur a giga hasn't been built yet, thus there's no need for a reaction from KI - they still have the biggest and fastest [citation needed] roller coasters in their market, no need to compete with itself - the coaster wars are over, and competitive thrill rides are CP's area of expertise.

Kings Island itself is a reaction to market forces. Yes, Coney Island was looking to relocate, but it was the possibility of a new park in Louisville that lit the proverbial fire. Action Zone was Paramount's reaction to Six Flags.

• Like 2

Twister layouts are ok, But Still, If KI even goes that way with a Twister-Terrain type coaster, I need them to still add a LOT of airtime hills, More than even a coaster like I-305,  At the begging I want some nice huge floater hills and at then 2nd half some more low to the ground aggressive ejector hills, while doing that giving the coaster the nice Twister-Terrain layout we all want.

ITsnotahyper.JPG

Just me looking at the "sample" layout @Hawaiian Coasters 325 gave us. We don't have to use any layout in general (or all the space in the area) but I noticed in the area he built this coaster, one half of it is cleared out (circled in red) and the other side has trees (circled in blue). So I was thinking how about if the designers of this coaster made the first half more, "Hyper Like" giving it the bigger elements like the Floater airtime hills and some big wide turns (like Fury/MF). and once the Giga gets to the "forested"  area it mostly becomes low to the ground and more intense with the aggressive ejector hills and the high-speed low to the ground turns (like I-305). If everyone associated with the building of this coaster gives it their all, This could well be the best coaster in the world.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Xdog42 said:

Twister layouts are ok, But Still, If KI even goes that way with a Twister-Terrain type coaster, I need them to still add a LOT of airtime hills, More than even a coaster like I-305,  At the begging I want some nice huge floater hills and at then 2nd half some more low to the ground aggressive ejector hills, while doing that giving the coaster the nice Twister-Terrain layout we all want.

ITsnotahyper.JPG

Just me looking at the "sample" layout @Hawaiian Coasters 325 gave us. We don't have to use any layout in general (or all the space in the area) but I noticed in the area he built this coaster, one half of it is cleared out (circled in red) and the other side has trees (circled in blue). So I was thinking how about if the designers of this coaster made the first half more, "Hyper Like" giving it the bigger elements like the Floater airtime hills and some big wide turns (like Fury/MF). and once the Giga gets to the "forested"  area it mostly becomes low to the ground and more intense with the aggressive ejector hills and the high-speed low to the ground turns (like I-305). If everyone associated with the building of this coaster gives it their all, This could well be the best coaster in the world.

I don't want that much airtime because that would take away from Diamondback. I think we should have maybe one large floater hill (like Leviathan) with some smaller floater hills like on Fury. I think we will have only a few airtime hills and more banked turns. I think that most of the airtime we will get will be from the banked turns like on Fury. Remember that Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, and Racer will be the main airtime coasters. This coaster will focus on speed and maintaining the speed from drop to brakes. Like I think the second hill will be like 170-190 feet tall and will be a banked turn and I think they will want to keep the speed going from drop to brakes.

• Like 1

I'd rather see a giga in xbase or even use the old Crypt building for a station and have the ride go back near beast and Diamondback. I can't see them trying to squeeze anything back there by BAT. Besides if you start in xbase you can have the coaster run all the way up to the big open spot near BAT and Banshee and not have to squeeze the thing between the two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't want that much airtime because that would take away from Diamondback. I think we should have maybe one large floater hill (like Leviathan) with some smaller floater hills like on Fury. I think we will have only a few airtime hills and more banked turns. I think that most of the airtime we will get will be from the banked turns like on Fury. Remember that Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, and Racer will be the main airtime coasters. This coaster will focus on speed and maintaining the speed from drop to brakes. Like I think the second hill will be like 170-190 feet tall and will be a banked turn and I think they will want to keep the speed going from drop to brakes.

You've got a lot of "will"'s in there. We don't even know if a giga will ever come to KI.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Well maybe I should rephrase my self, My main point was that I would appreciate if they maybe added a few more airtime hills than a coaster like I-305 which I counted has an airtime count of 5 (from a yt pov, haven't ridden it in real life yet...). I would honestly want 2 nice big Hills and the rest being low to the ground crazy ejector. Even though Mystic Timbers airtime is considered "Ejector" It is not as crazy as other ejector based rides. During the course of the low to the ground, crazy bank turns and Overbank Turns I would like at least 3-4 nice ejector hills. If they could do that I would be satisfied, It's just that airtime is such an important quality in most coasters (obviously excluding inverts and loopers etc). But overall, I want it to be more extreme ejector rather than Diamondback Floater, and even then it wouldn't even take away from MT considering its a more "tame" ride. 

I don't know maybe it's me, I just love Airtime based rides so much, It's my favorite "element" in coasters that use it. I really can't get my hopes up so high considering that actually, I-305 has the highest airtime hill count in a Giga with 5 of them...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LoadAndGo said:

You've got a lot of "will"'s in there. We don't even know if a giga will ever come to KI.

I do however agree that if KI gets a giga ( fingers crossed) that it will be fast. It should however capitalize on airtime and other key factors. If they wanted a coaster just for the sheer factor of speed they would build a Stratacoaster. We know that won't happen. Ki isn't going to say oh no we can't more airtime, We have too much. Seesh. I also did not mean to quote LoadandGo. lol Was trying to respond to the person who said the giga wouldn't have airtime hills.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I do however agree that if KI gets a giga ( fingers crossed) that it will be fast. It should however capitalize on airtime and other key factors. If they wanted a coaster just for the sheer factor of speed they would build a Stratacoaster. We know that won't happen. Ki isn't going to say oh no we can't more airtime, We have too much. Seesh. I also did not mean to quote LoadandGo. lol Was trying to respond to the person who said the giga wouldn't have airtime hills.

I believe it would have some airtime hills, but not as much as Diamondback. Also, go look at Rob Decker's interview from Fury's opening where he discusses the difference between Fury and Intimidator (and other hypers) he talks about the speed factor. I believe that would be a reason that they would (not 100% guaranteed) install something similar to Fury to Kings Island since it's different from Diamondback.

• Like 1