The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

50 minutes ago, mayaman2 said:

Even if we have a height restriction, as many other have said, it's not high enough to impede a giga. There goes my hopes for a strata at some point, but considering the terrain, I doubt that was going to happen anyway.

Even if there is a height restriction, it's probably no less than 400' and KI could possibly do what Great America did recently with it's height restriction, which was to put in a request to have it raised.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BuckeyeBond said:

That would be Shambhala at Port Aventura not Diamondback.

Well, Shambhala's splashdown is a fake one though, I believe. Also regardless of whether you include Shambhala or not, It's the *longest* coaster with a splashdown! (Don't hurt me, first time poster)

• Like 4

Running back to the screenshot showing the formation of "GIGA"

The only people who have true access to that area are people from Train or Mystic Timbers (No one from Foods needs to be back there, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be.) It was more than likely the Mystic crew since they didn't have their ride for the night because of the snow. As far as I know, train had no involvement. 

I had planned early on (weeks in advance) to go to the KIC meetup on closing day of Winterfest. This was when the temps first started dipping super low, and there was a lot of talk of the park not opening for the night. I made a point to keep an eye on park social media postings, keep up with my KI friends and the KI Pass Holders Facebook group and even called guest services to ensure the park would be open. It was decided very early in the day that no rides would operate. Boo Blasters was the only actual ride that was running. Ride ops were told not to even report to work. This sort of eliminates the idea that it could have been the KI/MV RR or Mysti’s crew(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

In terms of capacity, absolutely.   Though most ridden does not necessarily mean most popular. 

I want to see how a giga could affect ridership for other coasters throughout the park. Depending on its location, neighboring rides could see increased ridership.

• Like 1

They literally just got into the 200’ range. I’d rather them not jump up to 300’ just to break some records. 

I seem to remember another coaster that was built to go to the next level to break some records and it didn’t turn out well....what was the name of that? Son of a b.....

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

They literally just got into the 200’ range. I’d rather them not jump up to 300’ just to break some records. 

I seem to remember another coaster that was built to go to the next level to break some records and it didn’t turn out well....what was the name of that? Son of a b.....

.....aconator? 

I think I turned out alright

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, chugh43 said:

Son of Beast wasn't a problem because of it being over 200 feet. The problem was the people who built it didn't even know how to build coasters. They basically rushed to get it done. The Rollercoaster Corporation of America was not good at building coasters. If Son of Beast were to have been built by CCI instead, it probably would be still in operation today and would probably be better than Shivering Timbers. Also, the lift hill structure wouldn't be a wooden structure. It would be like Goliath at SF Great America where it's held up by these massive steel beams.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Here is an idea, Kings Island should have RMC make the first ever "wooden giga" RMC can totally do it! The lift hill structure would probably be like Goliath at Six Flags Great America. It could also take the record as the only inverting giga coaster.

There's a reason why we haven't had a wooden coaster break the 200ft plane since 2000...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Son of Beast wasn't a problem because of it being over 200 feet. The problem was the people who built it didn't even know how to build coasters. They basically rushed to get it done. The Rollercoaster Corporation of America was not good at building coasters. If Son of Beast were to have been built by CCI instead, it probably would be still in operation today and would probably be better than Shivering Timbers. Also, the lift hill structure wouldn't be a wooden structure. It would be like Goliath at SF Great America where it's held up by these massive steel beams.

They pushed the envelope too far. They apparently did something right and knew how to build coasters if they've got 6 coasters still in operation.  No matter what, it was attempted to hit 200 feet before technology was really ready for it on a wooden coaster. All I am saying is that RMC while they are a reputable company...they just broke into the 200' range...their technology is likely not ready for the 300' range. If it's attempted to rush into a new "record" for something without the technology being ready, it can become dangerous to the companies involved/riders involved/parks involved. 

4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Lightning Rod was mostly because the launch system has never been used before on a wooden platform. 

FYI...use the multi-quote option.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

There's a reason why we haven't had a wooden coaster break the 200ft plane since 2000...

However, there are wooden coasters with more than just one inversion now, so I guess that's a good thing that came out of SoB.

Nonetheless, leave the new, first-ever coaster concepts in Sandusky. They clearly know what to do with them up north (even when the coasters remember that they're Intamins and break down). As much as a wooden giga sounds cool, I think KI has done well ever since 2000 with tried methods that we know work, even after 19 years of waiting in one case (that being the wait between Magnum XL and Diamondback, of course).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do we all forget that some of Intamin's pre-fab coasters were knocking on the door to 200 ft including Colossos, El Toro and T-Express?  And those were right after SOB was built.  

It could have been done again a while ago, its just no one offered a chance for Intamin to do so, and those are the more reliable of Intamin's rides. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, starlitfire said:

However, there are wooden coasters with more than just one inversion now, so I guess that's a good thing that came out of SoB.

But that was still 13 years after SOB was built that an inversion was featured on a wooden coaster. There was still a lot of hesitation until RMC came into the picture.

• Like 3

SoB was just a whole disaster, from the manufacturer to PKI. I have no doubt in my mind that if CF owned the park at this time they would have gotten a better manufacturer (I’d say Intamin) and they would not have done a “patch job.” In all honesty, I could see RMC going over 300’... eventually. Rushing is not a good choice. This probably will not happen by the time Kings Island will most likely be ready to get a giga, though we never know. We just have to wait and see where they go and how wooden coasters continue to advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1