The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

13 hours ago, kirbias1 said:

Oldschool75's prediction makes the most sense IMO. Between FOF and The Racer is the ideal spot. It could go back behind Banshee or it could go back where DA was. I also think the new possible Coney BBQ restaurant is going there because there will be even bigger crowds in this area because of the new possible Giga in 19 or 20. KI is always looking to the future and I'm sure the Coney BBQ could be the first step in a much bigger (giga) plan in 19. My only concern with getting a giga in 19 is that Canada's Wonderland is rumored to get a coaster that year. Usually, it seems Cedar Fair doesn't release large coasters in its bigger parks the same year. They seem to stagger the coasters built out over different years.

Remember that back in 2010, they built a hyper and giga in the same year. So they could do the same with Ziz (the current CW rumor), this giga, and Dorneys rumored relocated coaster.

• Like 2

I saw on Instagram that Canada’s Wonderland filed for a permit to build I new coaster. I don’t have to picture personally, but if someone could find it and post it here that’d be great. I’m not 100% sure of its validity as I don’t understand these permits that much.

If this were to be true, how do you think this would affect the prospect of a 2019 giga at Kings Island? Personally I think if this were the case, Kings Island would most likely get a giga in 2020 instead of 2019. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DiamondBanshee said:

I saw on Instagram that Canada’s Wonderland filed for a permit to build I new coaster. I don’t have to picture personally, but if someone could find it and post it here that’d be great. I’m not 100% sure of its validity as I don’t understand these permits that much.

If this were to be true, how do you think this would affect the prospect of a 2019 giga at Kings Island? Personally I think if this were the case, Kings Island would most likely get a giga in 2020 instead of 2019. Thoughts?

2020 is Cedar Point's 150th anniversary and it looks like Cedar Point will be getting a coaster that year.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DiamondBanshee said:

The permit is to put a ride tunnel and 9 support piers in the lake around Vortex... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

2020 is Cedar Point's 150th anniversary and it looks like Cedar Point will be getting a coaster that year.

I personally think CP will be doing something more along the lines of Kings Dominion 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I figure Wonderland will either get a Wing or an Invert.  While I don't think we will get a Giga in '19, I also don't think Wonderland's coaster addition keeps it from happening either.

They currently have a wing coaster and an invert. If you see either one of those disappear there's a good chance that's the kind of coaster you'll see in the future.

Edited by SonofBaconator
Meant to say flyer
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

Flight Deck, the current invert, is probably the worst coaster I've been on.  They don't currently have a Wing coaster.  Time Warp, another bad coaster, is a flying coaster not a wing.

For some reason I was thinking of a flyer when you said wing. I still think a wing would be a suitable replacement for Time Warp

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

Flight Deck, the current invert, is probably the worst coaster I've been on.  They don't currently have a Wing coaster.  Time Warp, another bad coaster, is a flying coaster not a wing.

IMO, Wonderland should demolish Flight Deck & Time Warp and use the combined space to make an excellent B&M invert.

7 hours ago, Honorarius said:

The permit is to put a ride tunnel and 9 support piers in the lake around Vortex... 

Ooooh! :blink: That would be an epic place for a wing coaster. Interactions with the water & the backside of Wonder Mountain would be most impressive.

Seriously though, I cannot believe how Wonderland's flat collection is outstanding but their coaster lineup drops off real quick. After Leviathan & Behemoth, there really is no other good coaster... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

After Steel Vengence the last thing they need is another coaster right away.   Log Flume, Dark Ride, some modern flats, something family oriented.  Anything but a another coaster.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, BloodBlade21 said:

IMO, Wonderland should demolish Flight Deck & Time Warp and use the combined space to make an excellent B&M invert.

Ooooh! :blink: That would be an epic place for a wing coaster. Interactions with the water & the backside of Wonder Mountain would be most impressive.

Seriously though, I cannot believe how Wonderland's flat collection is outstanding but their coaster lineup drops off real quick. After Leviathan & Behemoth, there really is no other good coaster... 

They already took out SkyRider for 'future attractions' (at the end of 2014) and that land has been sitting empty... And it's next door to the currently drained Vortex lake that is getting supports and a tunnel put in it...

And yes, the coaster lineup is woefully shallow... They have quantity, but not the quality... When the 3rd best coaster at CW is in line with the 6th or 7th at other parks, you don't measure up well... 

Sorry to drone on, I've just got years of pent-up bitterness over years of 'I think it's great that Canada's Wonderland is the park for flats' posts... For how many people they put through the gate, they could really use another high capacity attraction to spread that crowd out...

• Like 4

The one thing I love about Canada’s Wonderland is their flat collection and I’m jealous they have it and we don’t lol. 

I’ve been to the park 2 times, once prior to Fast Lane. I’ve pretty much determined no matter what attractions they have or don’t have, if you want to experience the full park you need Fast Lane Plus and to visit a couple of days. I find CW worthy of a multi day visit but I agree, they really could use another high capacity attraction. 

• Like 4

I mean, *I* think it is, but I'm also not as giga-crazy as you. :) I thought Leviathan was pretty forgettable, and not because it's a B&M--Fury is one of my favorites.

For me, the draw for Wonderland is Vortex, Wild Beast, Thunder Run, and the unique flat rides, foods, and live entertainment. (And Wonder Mountain's Guardian, but I think I'm alone on that one.) It's a really well-rounded park that unfortunately just doesn't seem to have a singular star coaster. It's worth at least one visit, if nothing else.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Is wonderland worth getting a passport for?

No... Unless you have some crazy love of flat rides, it'd easily skippable...

Leviathan isn't as good as Millennium Force, I305 or Fury 325...

Behemoth is a bit better than Diamondback, but not enough to make a trip for...

Vortex (CW) and The Bat (KI) give the same ride with different scenery...

The effects on CW's BLSC haven't worked since not long after the Paramount days ended...

Dragon Fire isn't as good as Vortex (KI)...

Nighthawk is leaps and bounds better than Time Warp, which is universally despised...

Banshee is my favorite inverted coaster... Much better than Flight Deck is...

None of the 3 wooden coasters are anything to write home about...

Guardian has horrible capacity, the guns are often malfunctioning, and the 3D is blurry and dim...

Silver Streak and FAAC are the exact same... As are Taxi Jam and Great Pumpkin Coaster...

CWs Boomerang isn't inverted and slightly smaller...

What else (other than flats) is there??? A wild mouse and Thunder Run???

If you're in the neighbourhood, give it a shot... Just be prepared to wait a lot... They get the same amount of people through the door as CP, yet only Leviathan and Behemoth have good capacity... Having a park full of flats means you're going to do a lot of waiting...

• Like 1

It doesn't help that a bus line has a terminal there for when the park is in operation when it comes to crowd sizes. Jump on the bus to go to CW and not have to pay for parking? Sure! 

The one thing they have going for them is unique flats. Which to me is something worth going for. I personally love coasters but I'm not afraid of checking out flats. I wish we had a Sledgehammer and some of the other flats they have.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Tony Clark said in an interview that he is super pumped for 2020 and that they are going to do something big.

Tony is a PR Guy.   He built up the recent SV Hootenanny as something big.  

Regarding CW, I look at those flats and think “Cool!  I really want to ride those!” But everytime I get off one I always feel a bit let down.   There is so much to do a lot closer and cheaper that I haven’t done yet so CW keeps moving down on my to do list.   However I really want to take the boys to Niagra so if we are in the neighborhood....

• Like 1

My wife and I hit up Canada`s Wonderland several years ago (2014).  We visited in May, before Wonder Mountain`s Guardian was open.  We found it to be a fun park.  We got our pass ports for the trip, but we also hit up Niagara Falls on the way (as well as Waldameer). 

The park has a lot of charm and theming still.  The flat rides are fun (and they have added new ones since our visit).  We will definitely be going back, once our son is older.  He is one year old, so this year our trips are going to be limited to Kings Island and Coney Island.

• Like 3

I really did enjoy CW and I think it is something to certainly spend a couple days there.  It is a beautiful park.

I would recommend combining it doing others things around the area.  The Toronto City Pass is a great way to go to multiple attractions at a discount.  The CN Tower and Cass Loma are both great. 

I would also agree with checking out Niagara Falls and Waldameer.

• Like 1