The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

No.   Cedar Fair isn't like Six Flags.  Each park does more of their own individual decisions for additions.  Yes, they did give all the former Paramount Parks a bunch of new rides right after them being purchased, but I only think that was to get them more in line with the other parks' lineups, plus you had GL go down as well.  After the last B&M batch, they've strayed from any patterns.   

• Like 2

Why would they have track on site so early?  Is there any evidence of land clearing and support structures?  The land clearing and footings may be hard to spot, if not impossible (thru legal means) during the offseason, but the support structures would be noticeable for any coaster of any height, much less the larger crane needed to lift said structure into place.  Seems on the typical CF B&M installations, the track doesn't show up on site until shortly before its ready to be lifted into place.  Not that they have to do it that way, but it seems strange.  I don't care how much colder it gets in Toronto during the winter compared to Ohio, the track wouldn't be needed on site until late summer for a project set to open up in 2019.

All that said, there is no reason that both KI and CW can't install a sizable coaster in the same offseason.  Its not typical of CF, but then again, having track on site this early for a project that shows no sign of being open during the upcoming season is not typical either.  Perhaps CW is using a bit of the track as part of their promotion/teasing.  Perhaps B&M had a piece lying around that was defective from an old project and rather than recycling it, they're allowing a park to use it as part of a promotional campaign.  As far as KI goes, the trend in recent seasons has been to prep the area for future large projects a season or two in advance by moving stuff around (or eliminating them) to get ready.  They got rid of the go-karts prior to building Banshee, they moved the funnel Cake stand prior to building Mystic Timbers, now they've removed the Dino's and are building a new restaurant in Coney (allegedly).  If past is any indication, that should tell us that KI's next major project will occur in or around coney with the surrounding infrastructure already in place to support the increased traffic.  Perhaps this is why the Coney Mall sign was never put back in; perhaps as someone suggested, that area b/w Coney and Oktoberfest where the ladder game sits will be used as the new Que/Entry for a ride that will extend back thru the Dino exhibit area.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, medford said:

Why would they have track on site so early?  Is there any evidence of land clearing and support structures?  The land clearing and footings may be hard to spot, if not impossible (thru legal means) during the offseason, but the support structures would be noticeable for any coaster of any height, much less the larger crane needed to lift said structure into place.  Seems on the typical CF B&M installations, the track doesn't show up on site until shortly before its ready to be lifted into place.  Not that they have to do it that way, but it seems strange.  I don't care how much colder it gets in Toronto during the winter compared to Ohio, the track wouldn't be needed on site until late summer for a project set to open up in 2019.

All that said, there is no reason that both KI and CW can't install a sizable coaster in the same offseason.  Its not typical of CF, but then again, having track on site this early for a project that shows no sign of being open during the upcoming season is not typical either.  Perhaps CW is using a bit of the track as part of their promotion/teasing.  Perhaps B&M had a piece lying around that was defective from an old project and rather than recycling it, they're allowing a park to use it as part of a promotional campaign.  As far as KI goes, the trend in recent seasons has been to prep the area for future large projects a season or two in advance by moving stuff around (or eliminating them) to get ready.  They got rid of the go-karts prior to building Banshee, they moved the funnel Cake stand prior to building Mystic Timbers, now they've removed the Dino's and are building a new restaurant in Coney (allegedly).  If past is any indication, that should tell us that KI's next major project will occur in or around coney with the surrounding infrastructure already in place to support the increased traffic.  Perhaps this is why the Coney Mall sign was never put back in; perhaps as someone suggested, that area b/w Coney and Oktoberfest where the ladder game sits will be used as the new Que/Entry for a ride that will extend back thru the Dino exhibit area.

From scanning some CW stuff, it looks like there is going to be a tunnel under another coaster and the new coaster is going to go through it. The other coaster had to be disassembled in that section to allow for construction. The pieces that are showing up on site are only the ones that go through that tunnel. Theres also a lake that had to be drained involved. It just makes more sense financially to put those pieces in now rather than have to take the other coaster apart again or have it closed part of the season. Not to mention, if they waited to do that work after this season, the footers for the track leading in and out of that area would likely make it a lot harder, if not impossible to get to the area to do the tunnel. This section had to be done first, which means it had to be done now, which means they needed track on site earlier than normal. 

• Like 3

Not to mention, for the park, "success" is determined by putting in a ride that adds to the park's value, and getting the construction done on schedule (and within cost estimates) with as little disruption of park operations as possible, not by keeping it "secret" from a small subset of people who are bound and determined to know anything and everything anyway*...

Basically, making things a surprise is nowhere near their primary interest, it's just a small part of very early marketing. 

*KI kept what was in the shed as a very good secret all the way up until it opened, and some "enthusiasts" are still griping about its content. And I think in large part that griping is due to those people being annoyed they couldn't be "insiders" who already knew everything before the ride even opened this time. So having some information leak to the people who actually care to know early is probably not a "fail" anyway. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

*KI kept what was in the shed as a very good secret all the way up until it opened, and some "enthusiasts" are still griping about its content. And I think in large part that griping is due to those people being annoyed they couldn't be "insiders" who already knew everything before the ride even opened this time. So having some information leak to the people who actually care to know early is probably not a "fail" anyway. 

I think the shed complaints were more about overhyping what was in the shed than not knowing. For as much effort as they put into the "what's in the shed" mystery, it was kind of a letdown. 

• Like 3

I honestly really enjoyed what was in the shed. While it wasn’t a crazy element I really wasn’t expected it. It was fun to speculate what they could’ve done in there but for what it is, it’s a fun little extra at the end of an amazing coaster!

While I agree part of it was KI overhyping it, it was also our fault for overhyping it. If KI just went with “What’s in the shed?” and we didn’t pay much attention to it, I think the more people would have liked it more. However, due to our ideas of what it could be, we were saddened when it was pretty much exactly what it should be. It’s much like in a horror movie when something isn’t shown: you start imagining what could happen/what is happening and you freak yourself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Also, think of the guests who have no idea about the "#What'sInTheShed" marketing and/or don't follow coaster updates/pages like us.....how many of those are disappointed due to over hype? How many of those actually care about that....how many just think it's entertaining for what it is?

• Like 3