The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

3 hours ago, JudeHoward said:

A little off topic, but with there being construction permits and track already at CW. Is it honestly likely for us to get a giga next year with no sign of any construction or any hints whatsoever?

As in 2018 no. There will be no coaster in 2018. Not every parks needs to start construction 2 seasons in advance so we wouldn't see anything happen till mid season if anything.

• Like 1

For those asking, yes it is drone footage. As for the legality of it, that’s a mess that’s not even worth arguing about. Idk about Canada but in the US there is way to actually limit a drone from flying if a number of rules are not broken. For example, a park can prohibit drones in their grounds but not actually the airspace above it as it is controlled by the FAA. Of course there are a lot of rules that must be followed, such as no flying over crowds, etc. but if the person were to take off from an area outside the property, with permission from the local airport, etc. there is really no law they are breaking for flying the drone.

Again, I’m not sure about the laws in Canada and there’s a lot more stuff to consider but like I said, this is an extremely polarizing topic that would be best left alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My point wasn't if it was legal or not....it was in response to it being said that it was  Canada's Wonderland fail for letting the track be seen. 

My response was more about is it a fail of the park or is it really their fault someone used a drone to see it. Legally, it's not my call nor was that my intention.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DiamondBanshee said:

For those asking, yes it is drone footage. As for the legality of it, that’s a mess that’s not even worth arguing about. Idk about Canada but in the US there is way to actually limit a drone from flying if a number of rules are not broken. For example, a park can prohibit drones in their grounds but not actually the airspace above it as it is controlled by the FAA. Of course there are a lot of rules that must be followed, such as no flying over crowds, etc. but if the person were to take off from an area outside the property, with permission from the local airport, etc. there is really no law they are breaking for flying the drone.

Again, I’m not sure about the laws in Canada and there’s a lot more stuff to consider but like I said, this is an extremely polarizing topic that would be best left alone.

They've asked him to not film from the west side of the park but told him he is fine to film from the south as long as he doesn't go over the park.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Remember in 2010, Cedar Fair built both a hyper and a giga in the same year. Yes the giga was Intamin, but a 2019 Kings Island giga isn't completely out of the question. Is it Unlikely? Yes, but still a possibility even though I don't think the giga will be Intamin. I see it being either b&m, Mack, or RMC.

Cedar Fair hasn't installed a ground up Intamin in 8 years. B&M has delivered two gigas to the chain that have been well received by both the gp and enthusiasts alike. In terms of safety and reliability, I think installing a B&M giga would be a smarter move on the company's part. They wouldn't want to install a 300+ft coaster that isn't reliable. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Meh. Like I have said before. they may have been so low key because they were retooling somethings. I'd like to see them get another chance. Such better coasters imo.

I respectfully disagree, I think Diamondback is better than MF. Now if we are talking Maverick it's hard for me to say cause I've only rode it once, it blew me away though.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Meh. Like I have said before. they may have been so low key because they were retooling somethings. I'd like to see them get another chance. Such better coasters imo.

But you have to understand from a company's standpoint there are no freebies or second chances. B&M's are more reliable than Intamins are. The early 2000s were great for Intamin but more recently their rides have all been issues. Companies like B&M are safer and have had far less incidents than Intamin. Sure Intamins are fun, but at what cost is fun if you know their newer rides aren't as safe? How many deaths has B&M caused?-zero

As great as Maverick is, the coaster could have seriously hurt/killed people if they stayed with its original design...

• Like 2

It was drone footage that was flown legally and NOT over CW’s property. I know this because I’m in contact with the person who filmed it. I have seen the raw footage. Yes, I would say the park should have been a little more careful, then again the person who took the footage shouldn’t have released it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Reading over those I only see one death on a coaster and that's because the dude had no legs. Anyway haha Let's not get back debating Intamin or B&M it gets us no where lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Reading over those I only see one death on a coaster and that's because the dude had no legs. Anyway haha Let's not get back debating Intamin or B&M it gets us no where lol

But those are deaths nonetheless, just letting you know. Its very unlikely Cedar Fair will call on Intamin for another big project like I305

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

But those are deaths nonetheless, just letting you know. Its very unlikely Cedar Fair will call on Intamin for another big project like I305

Then would you include people who got hit by B&M inverts? Its not really the manufacturers fault when the rules are not obeyed. Intimins record, while far from sterling, gets a lot better when human error is considered. If you drive/ride in cars you are tolerating far more risk than any Intamin. Most leasure activities are more dangerous.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, matt112986 said:

Then would you include people who got hit by B&M inverts? Its not really the manufacturers fault when the rules are not obeyed. Intimins record, while far from sterling, gets a lot better when human error is considered. If you drive/ride in cars you are tolerating far more risk than any Intamin. Most leasure activities are more dangerous.

While that is true, it's not a coincidence that a lot of deaths or injuries at amusement parks have been from Intamins. There are still countless times when a ride has malfunctioned due to manufacturing i.e. cable snaps, faulty lift hills, need for retracking etc. I'm not saying B&M is perfect but they're way safer and reliable than Intamin.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

While that is true, it's not a coincidence that a lot of deaths or injuries at amusement parks have been from Intamins. There are still countless times when a ride has malfunctioned due to manufacturing i.e. cable snaps, faulty lift hills, need for retracking etc. I'm not saying B&M is perfect but they're way safer and reliable than Intamin.

I agree but I think your assessment of Intamin is way off. They may be less safe than most manufactures but they are way safer than many things and I wouldn't call them dangerous. Beside a few notable rides most of their products seem to run fine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, matt112986 said:

I agree but I think your assessment of Intamin is way off. They may be less safe than most manufactures but they are way safer than many things and I wouldn't call them dangerous. Beside a few notable rides most of their products seem to run fine.

I understand that, 100%. But has to be a reason why Cedar Fair hasn't gotten a new Intamin for over 8 years as opposed to other manufacturers. Heck Gerstlauer has came back to the chain

• Like 2