The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

I think we can respect everyones opinion on their favorite manufacturer. I personally like each manufacturer for different reasons. Maverick is my favorite coaster, but I would not consider Intamin my favorite manufacturer. 

It reminds me of the age old argument of Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. Everyone has their arguments, but at the end of the day, no minds have been changed.

What is your best guess on when we will see a Giga at KI?

way later

Never

• Like 6

^ I was going to pull the classic The Price is Right move and bid one above you and say '21, but I'm going to say '20 as well. I was shocked they got Mystic Timbers as soon as they did, so I'm thinking they'll get their next coaster (which I think will be a Giga) in 2020.

• Like 2

I think either 2019, 2020, or 2021 for the b&m giga. Even though CW is getting a coaster in 19, it doesn't 100% rule out the ki giga possibility. Is it Unlikely? Yes, but still a possibility. Because in 2010, Cedar Fair built both a hyper and giga in the same year. 2020 is a maybe, but is an Unlikely option since that is Cedar Point's 150th anniversary and Cedar Fair will not want Kings Island to overshine what Cedar Point is getting that year. Either 2019 or 21 is what I'm thinking. The people who would vote never are probably some scared Cedar Point fanboys who fear that it would overshine Cedar Point when it clearly won't since Cedar Point is getting a monsterous RMC and Mille is not the main draw to Cedar Point.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 12:20 AM, mayaman2 said:

Looking to the future, what may the park do next? To look at that, we have to see how the Midwest market is evolving. 2018 brings Kentucky Kingdom two new flat rides, and two new attractions to their 5D theater, while Holiday World invests further into its water park. 2019 has murmurings of new coasters at both Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom. Seeing as KI has been largely reactive rather than proactive to developments in the market, this is what I believe the timeline for park development will be:

2018 - QoL improvements, upgrades to PoS systems, focus on guest experience and service

2019 - New flat rides (Antique Cars, new Coney Mall flats, new Planet Snoopy rides, or a combination thereof)

2020 - Water park expansion (new water slide, possibly in place of Mondo Monsoon)

2021 - Giga 

2022 - 50th! Repaint/new light package on Racer and other classic rides

Previously, I made this comment (there was a lot more I edited out that wasn't pertinent) about how I see the next five years playing out, based on KI's history of being reactive rather than proactive to market developments, past trends, and how other parks in the area are evolving. I didn't feel like typing the same thing but differently, so here's my thoughts on when we'll see a giga and other additions to the park.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

I haven't been to Cedar Point in over 15 years,  what is their main draw now, if its not Millennium Force  Is it Top Thrill Dragster?  Valravn? 

Millie and TTD do draw crowds, but a lot of people just go for the sheer amount of rides available at this point. New rides every two years draw crowds, obviously, but it's not like KI where people come to ride Diamondback - they know that CP has an insane collection of high-thrill rides and wants to try them all. I believe SFMM has a similar appeal at this point.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Not a coaster, but Flight Commander here at Kings Island was an Intamin. The death on it was caused by improperly designed restraints.

The KI Eiffel Tower is an Intamin as well and we know about its death...and to be relevant to this giga speculation topic, the KI Eiffel Tower is a giga in height:P

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Grobble said:

2017 Ridership

1)Millenium 1.672M

2)GateKeeper 1.558M - 1st time since opening GateKeeper wasn't #1-  2.165M('13), 1.898M('14), 1.771M('15),

3)Magnum 1.450M

4)Valryvn 4.418M

5)Raptor 1.151M

2016 Ridership

1)GateKeeper 1.923M

2)Millenium 1.726M

3)Valryvn 1.599M

4)Magnum 1.518M

5)Raptor 1.494M

Now as someone that attends the park yearly the ride with the continuous long line is Valryvn, part is capacity and the uniqueness of a Dive coaster for the GP. Millenium is such a people eater when running 3 trains(36 people per train), GateKeeper  also can eat up lines.

"Millenium" "Valryvn" 

Huh never heard of these rides before. 

"4)Valryvn 4.418M"

Wow that's impressive! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Grobble said:

2017 Ridership

1)Millenium 1.672M

2)GateKeeper 1.558M - 1st time since opening GateKeeper wasn't #1-  2.165M('13), 1.898M('14), 1.771M('15),

3)Magnum 1.450M

4)Valryvn 4.418M

5)Raptor 1.151M

2016 Ridership

1)GateKeeper 1.923M

2)Millenium 1.726M

3)Valryvn 1.599M

4)Magnum 1.518M

5)Raptor 1.494M

Now as someone that attends the park yearly the ride with the continuous long line is Valryvn, part is capacity and the uniqueness of a Dive coaster for the GP. Millenium is such a people eater when running 3 trains(36 people per train), GateKeeper  also can eat up lines.

Sources? Not disputing, just curious...

• Like 2

The main draw to Cedar Point is the fact that they call themselves "the roller coaster capital of the world" and I wouldn't say the main draw is Valravn or one particular coaster, back on topic now, I actually don't think we are going to get a Giga, I don't want to be "that guy", but why does this rumor not die? Clearly, Mystic Timbers wasn't a Giga coaster, and Banshee wasn't a Giga coaster? Also, Banshee raised attendance by 1%, I don't think that's worth the 24 million dollar investment, I'm curious to see how Mystic Timbers does with attendance. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, rhyano said:

The main draw to Cedar Point is the fact that they call themselves "the roller coaster capital of the world" and I wouldn't say the main draw is Valravn or one particular coaster, back on topic now, I actually don't think we are going to get a Giga, I don't want to be "that guy", but why does this rumor not die? Clearly, Mystic Timbers wasn't a Giga coaster, and Banshee wasn't a Giga coaster? Also, Banshee raised attendance by 1%, I don't think that's worth the 24 million dollar investment, I'm curious to see how Mystic Timbers does with attendance. 

Well, get one eventually in the next 4 years. At the moment its the best coaster for us to get, Also CF saw how much of good response there was for Fury 325 from the GP and from Coaster Enthusiast too. Also, all of the major CF parks have a Giga and we don't. CF knows we need and deserve one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xdog42 said:

Well, get one eventually in the next 4 years. At the moment its the best coaster for us to get, Also CF saw how much of good response there was for Fury 325 from the GP and from Coaster Enthusiast too. Also, all of the major CF parks have a Giga and we don't. CF knows we need and deserve one.

A business doesn't "deserve" anything. CF is out to please their shareholders first and foremost. Don't confuse things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rhyano said:

Where did the 1% figure come from? Curious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rhyano said:

Take with a grain of salt, these are sometimes not the most reliable. http://www.teaconnect.org/images/files/TEA_103_49736_150603.pdf

I'd be curious to see how that number compares to the actual number, which I do not know. But I think its important to remember that as a regional seasonal amusement park, you cannot measure Banshee's success based solely on attendance increases. Parks have to add additions not only to increase attendance, but also to sustain it. Imagine there was a 5 year gap between coasters, additions such as Banshee help sustain the amount of guests the park is able to bring in each season.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sally's Sea Plane #1 Fan said:

I'd be curious to see how that number compares to the actual number, which I do not know. But I think its important to remember that as a regional seasonal amusement park, you cannot measure Banshee's success based solely on attendance increases. Parks have to add additions not only to increase attendance, but also to sustain it. Imagine there was a 5 year gap between coasters, additions such as Banshee help sustain the amount of guests the park is able to bring in each season.

Not sure about Kings Island...but when Banshee was added, tourism for Warren County jumped up 23%, usually it fluctuates between 4 and 5% annually.

(Source: Mary Fessler of the Warren County Convention and Visitors Bureau; I interviewed her for an article I was writing on Mystic Timbers for my school newspaper.)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rhyano said:

It won't die until we get it. Just because Banshee and Mystic Timbers weren't gigas doesn't mean we will not get one. Banshee was added 20 years after Raptor and Diamondback came 20 years after Magnum and Millennium Force will be 20 years old in 2020. So I think we haven't gotten a giga yet since they are waiting until Millennium Force is at least 20 years old. Also, Kings Island tends to add coasters after the craze on that coaster is dying down. Like the invert craze was from the late 90s to early 2000s, the hyper craze was from the early to mid 2000s, and the GCI craze was from the late 2000s to early 2010s. The giga craze right now is the early to mid 2010s with I305, Leviathan, and Fury 325. The reason they're not too common is because most parks either can't afford them, don't have the land, and/or have very strict low height limits. Kings Island has none of that and the ki height limit is not so low and they have lots of land and Cedar Fair tends to poor lots of money into Kings Island. So I'm saying is that we may get it in the 2020s which is basically after the giga craze since RMC is the big thing right now. Mystic Timbers really spiked up attendance this year. I was there a lot and the crowds were insanely big in the evenings a lot. Kings Island could use a people eater like Fury if they get crowds like that. Banshee does very well with the people eating category so another 4 seater b&m could do the trick. 

• Like 3

The Attractions Industry is incredibly diverse and innovate, yet so many on this site believe that a giga coaster is somehow the ultimate attraction. People have become completely obsessed with this one particular ride system. I mean, it's almost like a cult religion at this point. I hate to break it to you, but giga coasters really aren't all they are cracked up to be. A lot of people say that Millie is forceless, I305 is too intense, and Leviathan is forgettable. Fury is the only giga that is considered good by almost everyone. In all honesty, they aren't innovative, nor are they mind shattering.

Cedar Fair is the only chain in the world to install gigas. B&M doesn't even list them as an actual model on their website. The first giga was built almost two decades ago, and the rest of the industry has spoken -- gigas aren't innovative, and they are unnecessary. If the rest of the industry thought that competing parks installing gigas were a threat, every major park would have one. The simple fact is that CF is only competing with itself.

Is a giga coaster really the best way to spend $30+ million? Think what the park could do with that money instead. You could built two new coasters. You could completely refresh the park. You could update and unify all the computer systems into a magic bands type system. You could invest in new, innovate ride systems. I mean, TR:TR only cost $20 mil. If CF wants to drop $30 million into a KI, that money could be used so much more creatively to give guests of all backgrounds a more premium and unique experience.

A giga coaster is really not that special. It certainly is not what so many hype it up to be. The level of enthusiasm for this theoretical coaster is almost impossible to believe. I know I'm going to catch blowback for this opinion, but I truly believe many of you are not thinking objectively. It makes me wonder whether the majority of people on this site are fans of the industry or simply coaster enthusiasts.

• Like 6

Completely disagree Loadandgo. All three Gigas I have ridden are in my top ten. Millie is far from forceless and probably has had the longest run as "best coaster" for the GP that will exist in our lifetimes. That popularity created a counter culture that likes to bemoan it. 

While I305 is intense it is my personal favorite and as you said Fury had enjoyed a positive reception. Only Leviathan gets mediocre reviews in my experience, I haven't ridden it so Ill reserve judgement.

Cedar Fair keeps building them despite their cost which leads me to believe they disagree as well. And 20 million for TR:TR was rather expensive for a thrill ride, were talking Diamondback money here and at least 5 million more than Mystic Timbers.

The fact there are so few helps make them special as well, its an experience you can't get everywhere. These big attractions give parks a focus they can use to draw in guests providing value beyond adding just another coaster.

• Like 4

As far as opinions on Gigas....that's exactly what they are....opinions. As far as popularity goes....Millennium Force, Fury 325 and Leviathan I know for sure have been popular attractions in their respective parks. I mean Millennium Force ended up giving the most rides in 2017. 

It doesn't truly matter if folks are coaster enthusiasts or fans of the industry. No one signed on a dotted line saying that they needed to like ____ and they have to be of a certain mind frame. That's what makes KIC a great place, not everyone has to like the same exact thing, not everyone has to have the same opinion and not everyone has to have fit into a certain mold to be a user here. 

To some, a Giga is their ultimate ride....to some it's a blitz coaster like Maverick...to others it's a nice family attraction. It's been rumored for KI to get a Giga for a good number of years. Those who want to speculate it is fine...as fine as it is for others to point out why they don't think it's going to happen next and/or soon, but it's not okay to belittle anyone for thinking it's going to happen because you're of the opposite mindset.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

As far as opinions on Gigas....that's exactly what they are....opinions. As far as popularity goes....Millennium Force, Fury 325 and Leviathan I know for sure have been popular attractions in their respective parks. I mean Millennium Force ended up giving the most rides in 2017. 

It doesn't truly matter if folks are coaster enthusiasts or fans of the industry. No one signed on a dotted line saying that they needed to like ____ and they have to be of a certain mind frame. That's what makes KIC a great place, not everyone has to like the same exact thing, not everyone has to have the same opinion and not everyone has to have fit into a certain mold to be a user here. 

To some, a Giga is their ultimate ride....to some it's a blitz coaster like Maverick...to others it's a nice family attraction. It's been rumored for KI to get a Giga for a good number of years. Those who want to speculate it is fine...as fine as it is for others to point out why they don't think it's going to happen next and/or soon, but it's not okay to belittle anyone for thinking it's going to happen because you're of the opposite mindset.

The reasons that people bring up why they don't think a giga will happen doesn't matter to Cedar Fair. All they care about is the park and putting in the coaster. They don't look at Millennium Force being at Cedar Point for adding a giga to KI. The same theory was actually said with Kings Island getting an invert. "They wouldn't build an invert at ki with Raptor being at Cedar Point" and looky there! We got one! Also, it used to be said that Kings Island wouldn't get a hyper with Magnum XL 200 being at Cedar Point and we got that as well. So who the heck would care if there were two gigas were in Ohio. Probably the scared Cedar Point fanboys would, but Cedar Fair wouldn't!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LoadAndGo said:

The Attractions Industry is incredibly diverse and innovate, yet so many on this site believe that a giga coaster is somehow the ultimate attraction. People have become completely obsessed with this one particular ride system. I mean, it's almost like a cult religion at this point. I hate to break it to you, but giga coasters really aren't all they are cracked up to be. A lot of people say that Millie is forceless, I305 is too intense, and Leviathan is forgettable. Fury is the only giga that is considered good by almost everyone. In all honesty, they aren't innovative, nor are they mind shattering.

Cedar Fair is the only chain in the world to install gigas. B&M doesn't even list them as an actual model on their website. The first giga was built almost two decades ago, and the rest of the industry has spoken -- gigas aren't innovative, and they are unnecessary. If the rest of the industry thought that competing parks installing gigas were a threat, every major park would have one. The simple fact is that CF is only competing with itself.

Is a giga coaster really the best way to spend $30+ million? Think what the park could do with that money instead. You could built two new coasters. You could completely refresh the park. You could update and unify all the computer systems into a magic bands type system. You could invest in new, innovate ride systems. I mean, TR:TR only cost $20 mil. If CF wants to drop $30 million into a KI, that money could be used so much more creatively to give guests of all backgrounds a more premium and unique experience.

A giga coaster is really not that special. It certainly is not what so many hype it up to be. The level of enthusiasm for this theoretical coaster is almost impossible to believe. I know I'm going to catch blowback for this opinion, but I truly believe many of you are not thinking objectively. It makes me wonder whether the majority of people on this site are fans of the industry or simply coaster enthusiasts.

LoadandGo, I respect you and your infinite knowledge of the Amusement Industry, but I must mention to you about Steel Dragon 2000 at Nagashima Spa Land amusement park in Mie Prefecture, Japan. Its the 318ft Giga coaster that recently received B&M trains. Of course as I posted this piece of info your 96 posts now are considered null and must be analyzed for accuracy.

• Like 3

Back to the discussion 

Breaking 200ft is becoming the new norm in the coaster world to the point where it doesn't even seem like a big deal anymore. Its more about diversity among the coaster world than anything. It's common to see B&M build a hyper that exceeds well over 200ft, but its rare to see wooden coasters hit that peak in this day and age. Even though they're not uncommon, gigas are pretty rare in the coaster world so it would be a privilege to have one at Kings Island. 

• Like 4