The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

20 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I mean every coaster can have its issues. Even everyone's beloved B&M's can have issues. So I wouldn't be worried about that at all. Mack would be different that is for sure. I'd hate to have it be lame though. There is no such thing as a lame Intamin haha :wub: 

What technology did b&m ever create?  Premier did lims, intamin did lsms and hydraulic launches.  B&m added magnetic brakes late in the game. Intamin invented the cable lift system.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

What technology did b&m ever create?  Premier did lims, intamin did lsms and hydraulic launches.  B&m added magnetic brakes late in the game. Intamin invented the cable lift system.  

Inverted coasters, floorless coasters, dive coasters? EDIT: also higher capacity flying coasters

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maverick44 said:

I mean every coaster can have its issues. Even everyone's beloved B&M's can have issues. So I wouldn't be worried about that at all. Mack would be different that is for sure. I'd hate to have it be lame though. There is no such thing as a lame Intamin haha :wub: 

Might I remind you of issues with Intamin's in the past, which include but aren't limited to-

- Broken cables and chains

- Massive redesigns of large track sections

- Rides that are rare to open on time

- Log flumes disengaging lifts, falling backwards and capsizing

- Rider ejections

And after all that, they have the audacity and nerve to say that they are an acceptable part of the industry and have little to show of any improvements with their installments overseas, nor have they had any innovations lately.  B&M doesn't stoop that low.  Show me something B&M has done that comes close to that list that wasn't human error.  I'll wait (I'll save you the time, there aren't any).   And say what you want about their ride quality in terms of experiences, but they have a second to none safety record.  I'd rather have that than an under-designed ride, whether it'd be the ride experience or safety equipment.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

^ I would have to disagree (for the recent reliability part), I've heard great things about the reliability of Taron, I know they recently struggled with the water coaster at Energylandia though (that almost opened an entire year late...)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

There's a reason why Cedar Fair hasn't gotten an Intamin since 2010. 

A certain Intamin coaster in the Cedar Fair chain has been closed for about a year now lol (I've heard that there are signs the ride is going to reopen soon, so that's good!)

• Like 1

To summarize the last 30 pages for those who don't want to read them:

Intamin! No, B&m. No, Intamin. No B&M. But I reallllllllllllllllllly want an Intamin cause reasons. No, they break down. But I reallllllllllllllllllly want an Intamin cause reasons. No, B&M. No, Intamin. No, B&M. But I reallllllllllllllllllly want an Intamin cause reasons. No, B&M. Rinse, Repeat. 

and repeat

and repeat

and repeat

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

I mean they have made my top 3 favorite coasters. I think they are great coasters.  Its really not that important to me. A kid can wish! But I would be excited for any coaster (other then Vekoma).  Fury was amazing, I just prefer Mill Force. I just spark conversation. I love all coaster equally. Its my most favorite thing to do in the world. They are just my favorite that is all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

A coaster shouldn't be closed for a year though. Whats the point of having a coaster if a park has to constantly perform maintenance on it? 

Can't argue with that, the launch system for Intamin accelerator coasters take around a year and a half to build(from what I remember reading, and that's JUST the launch, so something very serious clearly happened.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rhyano said:

Can't argue with that, the launch system for Intamin accelerator coasters take around a year and a half to build(from what I remember reading, and that's JUST the launch, so something very serious clearly happened.

Launches are a hit or miss on rides. RMC tried it and didn't work out too well. I'm actually surprised that B&M pulled it off since they've only done one other launch and those were just tires. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

Launches are a hit or miss on rides. RMC tried it and didn't work out too well. I'm actually surprised that B&M pulled it off since they've only done one other launch and those were just tires. 

RMC didn't work out because of how with Lightning Rod, the launch system has never been used before on a wooden platform.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

RMC didn't work out because of how with Lightning Rod, the launch system has never been used before on a wooden platform.

I would respectfully speculate that there are multiple companies that offer LSM technology that could be applied to roller coasters. I very much doubt that RMC designed the LSMs. That Lightning Rod's didn't work right out of the box and Thunderbird's did probably says more about one or more entities involved (not necessarily the coaster manufacturer, either) than it does about whether or not LSMs can be applied to wooden coasters.

TRFTW, tremendous fan of RMC, B&M, Lightning Rod, AND Thunderbird.

• Like 1

RMC didn't build the launch, they originally were going to use a flywheel, but from what I heard, Dollywood broke the contract and decided to go with a LSM launch by a company that never built a launch before (Velocity) , so Lightning Rod isn't really the fault of RMC in my opinion, then B&M didn't build Incredible Hulk's launch either, I'm shocked Thunderbird worked so well considering that was B&Ms first launch coaster.

• Like 1