The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

Is that it? Also you don't have to quote if the response is right above yours. No need to get worked up over this. Its just hard to believe since nothing like that has ever happened before. We could all sit here and say we don't think they would use Intamin. heck a lot of the member here think for sure. They let me know over again that CF won't use Intamin haha. Doesn't mean a person with knowledge of what comes to the park will just say things like that to the GP.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Is that it? Also you don't have to quote if the response is right above yours. No need to get worked up over this. Its just hard to believe since nothing like that has ever happened before. We could all sit here and say we don't think they would use Intamin. heck a lot of the member here think for sure. They let me know over again that CF won't use Intamin haha. Doesn't mean a person with knowledge of what comes to the park will just say things like that to the GP.

Actually, it's better to quote someone (even if they're right above the post you're about to make) as it notifies them that they have been quoted, especially when a person asks you a specific question. 

I don't think @KIghostguy guy is getting worked up at all...he already stated who else was there and then answered it. He also stated that 

It's not whether you "believe" or not. He said that he doesn't think Intamin would be used. There are members on here that were in the same room as I and heard it.

He is being criticized for stating what he heard out of the mouth of the head of HR just because others don't think that's valid. 

Going with the belief that the head of HR said this....said that they don't think Intamin will be used. That person isn't divulging any secret information....isn't speaking as if he's giving the final word on what's going to happen...he literally just gave his opinion. We're acting like a full time staff member isn't allowed to give their opinion to anyone. 

Either way, KIghostguy and at least one other KIC member were able to hear an opinion from a full timer of the park. KIghostguy decided to share what that full timer said. Anyone can choose to believe it or not...but no one needs to be a jerk about it. That's what this has become. 

Sometimes it's good for threads to take a break. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

It could be that is his perception given the office chatter he has heard or even body language seen in others regarding the frustrations CF has experienced with Intamin.  If some executive rolls his eyes every time “Intamin” is mentioned one could reasonably assume the likelyhood of CF doing business with that vendor again is slim.  

• Like 4

If @KIghostguy had said they confirmed no Intamin then I can understand the questioning. In this case, I feel he was just sharing what he heard and was innocent information that he was nice enough to share.

A few things to keep in mind:

• If you are wondering about what a person posts, you can always PM that person directly to clear up any misunderstandings and get in a better place with their post. 
  • If you feel that someone is posting false information hit the report button for us mods to look into it. (Not saying that is the case here, just a reminder.)
  • If you feel you are getting upset, take a break from the thread for a bit. You don't want to hurt your credibility because another post rubbed you the wrong way. 
  • Also, it is asked that you quote who you are replying to a specific post so the conversation goes smooth. If you make a reply to a specific post without a quote and your post goes to the next page it may not make much sense for everyone else.  If making a general comment then a quote is not necessary.

Back on topic: Who is expecting to see some sort of evidence of 2019 construction opening day for a possible Giga or other?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I think we'll see something. Canada's Wonderland began construction on an attraction that won't even open until 2019. Considering the footprint a giga has, I could definetly see some prep work, even if its at the end of the 2018 season. Leviathan and Fury 325's construction was normal because the land was relatively open and flat; Kings Island has terrain around its perimeter which I imagine requires a lot more prep work and planning. 

Does anyone recall when prep work started on Diamondback?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think we'll see something. Canada's Wonderland began construction on an attraction that won't even open until 2019. Considering the footprint a giga has, I could definetly see some prep work, even if its at the end of the 2018 season. Leviathan and Fury 325's construction was normal because the land was relatively open and flat; Kings Island has terrain around its perimeter which I imagine requires a lot more prep work and planning. 

Does anyone recall when prep work started on Diamondback?

Before the season started in 2008. Swan lake was already drained and fence up on opening day.

I am not sure what happened to the pics I had.

• Like 1

Yeah I’d expect to see something happening. I hope it’s an exciting season with prep work and hints and clues and speculation that’s always fun. Kings Island is the most creative with hinting and clues and deception always love thinking what could be coming.. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GigaLover said:

Yeah I’d expect to see something happening. I hope it’s an exciting season with prep work and hints and clues and speculation that’s always fun. Kings Island is the most creative with hinting and clues and deception always love thinking what could be coming.. 

I wouldn't throw out hints too early depending on when actual ground is broken. I think this all depends on what season they want to add the giga.

This will hold me over for now

screen_shot_2017-12-30_at_4.png

• Like 3

When were the webcams for the last three coasters added? If something big is coming, I'd think we'd get a new or relocated webcam. I know Banshee's was there prior to the announcement, but don't recall when it actually was put there. 

• Like 1

I've been chomping at the bits to start speaking again in this thread. It seems this thread is constantly radiating with activity and energy. I'm completely open-minded about Kings Island receiving a Giga. I've heard many opinions regarding this topic. In an industry of this magnitude, credibility is cherished like gold. I've heard very little talk about Zimmerman's new role in the chain, and have been pondering how much the absence of Mr. Ouimet will be felt. The Kinzel era and Ouimet era had their fair share of differences, how will the next compare? If Cedar Fair continues to venture down the innovative path, I wouldn't be surprised to see something along the lines of DC Rivals HyperCoaster at Warner Bros. Movie World (Gold Coast, Australia) or the Flash clones; Of course on steroids, considering it would be a Giga. 

New for 2017 Mack Hyper Coaster... DC Rivals HyperCoaster at Warner Bros. Movie World

• Like 4

4 hours ago, fryoj said:

When were the webcams for the last three coasters added? If something big is coming, I'd think we'd get a new or relocated webcam. I know Banshee's was there prior to the announcement, but don't recall when it actually was put there. 

I have been keeping a very close eye on the webcams every single day ever since GIGA showed up in the snow... so far all i have noticed is DB trains in the storage track back from maintenance and one night from what I could tell most of the path lights and BLSC were lit up. I haven't really noticed any other activity from other than that

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Codyfryguy said:

I have been keeping a very close eye on the webcams every single day ever since GIGA showed up in the snow... so far all i have noticed is DB trains in the storage track back from maintenance and one night from what I could tell most of the path lights and BLSC were lit up. I haven't really noticed any other activity from other than that

Like tonight for instance backlot is lit up again

Screenshot_20180306-215338.png

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 4:48 PM, Maverick44 said:

I mean yes I would love a giga over that but I won't  turn away from any coaster. Unless Vekoma came back into the picture. haha

Vekoma is actually very good at custom coaster design and fabrication.  You are likely just thinking of their old boomerangs and SLC coasters.  They do a ton of work for Disney including, Seven dwarfs mine train, Big Grizzly Mountain, the TRON ride, Expedition Everest, and the Rock n Roller Coaster.  There are more but that’s just off the top of my head.

Vekoma has other good coasters but most of their custom coasters are not in the US so you are unlikely to hear about them.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Kenban said:

Vekoma is actually very good at custom coaster design and fabrication.  You are likely just thinking of their old boomerangs and SLC coasters.  They do a ton of work for Disney including, Seven dwarfs mine train, Big Grizzly Mountain, the TRON ride, Expedition Everest, and the Rock n Roller Coaster.  There are more but that’s just off the top of my head.

Vekoma has other good coasters but most of their custom coasters are not in the US so you are unlikely to hear about them.

I agree that those rides are fantastic, but I also can't help but wonder what part of the quality of the ride is good because of Disney. The Big Thunder Mountain Railroads came into being in the middle of Vekoma's Boomerang and SLC eras and ride completely differently. Disney almost certainly doesn't own a steel mill, but I'm wondering if they insisted on a different fabricator for the track or tighter tolerances or something.

I am very curious, though, to know how smooth Vekoma's new track design (starting with Battlestar Galactica at Universal Singapore) rides. I haven't been on one yet--to my knowledge, there aren't any stateside. The rides look great, but I wonder how they actually ride.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Codyfryguy said:

I was referring more to seeing a new or relocated camera pointing towards the DA area similar to how they added the Banshee camera when construction started there. I don't think any of the existing cameras will show the anything relating to eventual Giga construction. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fryoj said:

Imo they should do live webcams for each area of the park. For example: a Rivertown cam, a Planet Snoopy cam, an Action Zone cam, and a Coney Mall cam. I also don't think we'd see a construction fence if the giga is in Dinosaur's Alive since Racer is in the way. In my opinion, I think we'd see the old Dino's entrance blocked off with some sort of sign and then throughout the season, we see some teaser posters popping up around Coney Mall like with Steel Vengeance where wanted posters started popping up around Frontiertown. I think this giga will be themed to Coney Mall since Cedar Fair seems to be adding coasters themed to certain areas of the park. Like for example, Mystic Timbers with Rivertown.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Imo they should do live webcams for each area of the park. For example: a Rivertown cam, a Planet Snoopy cam, an Action Zone cam, and a Coney Mall cam. I also don't think we'd see a construction fence if the giga is in Dinosaur's Alive since Racer is in the way. In my opinion, I think we'd see the old Dino's entrance blocked off with some sort of sign and then throughout the season, we see some teaser posters popping up around Coney Mall like with Steel Vengeance where wanted posters started popping up around Frontiertown. I think this giga will be themed to Coney Mall since Cedar Fair seems to be adding coasters themed to certain areas of the park. Like for example, Mystic Timbers with Rivertown.

But are you anticipating that a giga would come the following season? (2019) You usually see posters and teasers the season of an announcement.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

But are you anticipating that a giga would come the following season? (2019) You usually see posters and teasers the season of an announcement.

Yes, but I don't know about 2019 though. I believe they will start teasing in 19 and open the ride in 2020. Expect a huge ride year across the CF chain for CPs 150th anniversary.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

They would need to block the area off some how though?  If there is sight clearing going on they would just like for MT.

32 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

They would need to block the area off some how though?  If there is sight clearing going on they would just like for MT.

I'm talking about having a big sign over Dino's old entrance attached to The Racer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yes, but I don't know about 2019 though. I believe they will start teasing in 19 and open the ride in 2020. Expect a huge ride year across the CF chain for CPs 150th anniversary.

Won't be any money left over after Cedar Points 50million$ record breaker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1