The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

4 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Like wicked twister was to TTD.

First of all. WT was not a filler. Nor is SV......that is a coaster that is taking 2 years to build. I wouldn't  say any coaster is a filler. They cost millions of dollars.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

First of all. WT was not a filler. Nor is SV......that is a coaster that is taking 2 years to build. I wouldn't  say any coaster is a filler. They cost millions of dollars.

I would say Face Off was filler, certainly not Steel Vengeance though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

With the amount of boomerang Vekoma's that move around. I could see that. WT and SV are not fillers and nor is MT lol

I think Wicked Twister could be considered filler but not MT or SV. I think its clear MT was meant to be a headline attraction.

• Like 1

I think we all know what he means but just don’t agree on the premise.   Especially with Steel Vengeance.  I don’t know what it is costing but all that work, new wood and steel can’t be cheap, probably $20+ million.  I would be really surprised if CP is planning some $30+ million monster coaster for 2020.   

• Like 2

@IndyGuy4KI @Maverick44 @King Ding Dong

I think the term filler means- "at least its a coaster." I use the term filler to describe an "above average" coaster as an addition to a park that holds people over until the next big coaster. Think about how there was a gap between GateKeeper and Valravn where Rougarou and Pipe Scream were essentially "filler coasters" for those years. The same could be said about Wicked Twister being installed between the times of Millennium Force and TTD. If KI gets a giga, one could say that Mystic Timbers was the filler coaster since it filled the gap between Banshee and the giga. I personally wouldn't consider WT or MT filler since both of them are thrilling rides. 

For lack of a better comparison- "filler" coasters are the appetizer to a much bigger meal.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

You clearly have no idea how Cedar Fair financials work if you call any year an off year. The truth is that in 2017, Cedar Fair spent more money than they budgeted for 2018. That is because they allocated their money in a different place. Most of the money went to the resort developments.

Please cite the source of your truth.  I don't claim to know anything about how Cedar Fair or each park handles their budgets.  That is for the inner circles to know.  As an investor in FUN, I am concerned with the return on my investment.  As a fan of KI, I want to have a good experience when I visit.  I think you bit off a little more than you can chew with this comment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

@SonofBaconator I suppose I could agree with that.  I just don't see how MT could be a filler lol. Its a huge investment. Besides #whatsintheshed ?

Don't quote me on this but GCI's are fairly cheep when compared to other coasters. Considering that Banshee was a 24 million dollar investment and knowing that a giga would cost more than that, I would say MT was a comparatively low investment for the park. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Don't quote me on this but GCI's are fairly cheep when compared to other coasters. Considering that Banshee was a 24 million dollar investment and knowing that a giga would cost more than that, I would say MT was a comparatively low investment for the park. 

At lease someone gets it...

Mystic Timbers 15 million.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_Timbers

We all know CP will not disappoint with a modest attraction for their 150th.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It was in a Cedar Fair annual report. I don't know which one, but I remember reading about it. @Grobble would know since he knows as well.

I sat in nothing. This information can be found reading annual reports, conference calls, investor presentations, etc. @Grobble would know more on this subject.

But you made the claim.  If you are going to make a claim, you should be able to substantiate it.  The latest annual report is available online (link to follow) and I see nothing about spending over budgeted amounts on lodging.

http://ir.cedarfair.com/newsroom/press-releases/news-release-details/2018/Cedar-Fair-Reports-Full-Year-And-Fourth-Quarter-2017-Results/default.aspx

• Like 4

Yes @Hawaiian Coasters 325 if you are going to make a claim, it's your responsibility per the Terms of Service to provide a source to your information. It is in no way someone else's responsibility to back you up or provide your sources. In no disrespect to the person you tagged, someone who created their profile in February doesn't count as a source to the "facts" you've shared nor should they back up your claims unless they provide a source, no matter how much they "understand" the subject. 

As far as the link @jtro223 shared, which is a primary source to information about FUN/Cedar Fair, nothing in their latest press release states that they spent more money in 2017 than they budgeted for 2018. It states that: 

Sales from advance purchase commitments, including season passes, through the end of January are up 10% from the same time last year, driven by a strong capital program for 2018.

It also states: 

Cash Flow and Liquidity Remain Strong

Brian Witherow, Cedar Fair's executive vice president and chief financial officer, said, "Our liquidity, cash flow and capital structure remain strong, and we continue to have great financial flexibility heading into 2018.  With our Consolidated Leverage Ratio at 3.5 times, we are well positioned to capitalize on opportunities to drive additional long-term value for our unitholders.  In addition, 2017 was our 31st consecutive year of paying a distribution to unitholders, and we remain committed to steadily increasing our  distribution rate by 4% on an annual basis, consistent with our long-term growth expectations."

As of December 31, 2017, Cedar Fair had $735 million of variable-rate debt (before giving consideration to fixed-rate interest rate swaps) and $950 million of fixed-rate debt (excluding amounts related to debt issuance costs), no outstanding borrowings under its revolving credit facilities and cash on hand of $166 million.  The Company's cash flows from operations and credit facilities are expected to be sufficient to meet working capital needs, debt service, planned capital expenditures and distributions for the foreseeable future.

It also doesn't show that most of their money went to resort costs. If you're speaking about Hotel Breakers....that's been a cost that has been split over several years throughout each process of revamping the resort.

• Like 3

Im thinking 315 feet tops, with some unique aspect to it, like they did with DB, Banshee and MT. Maybe "longest", or some other distinction that makes it KI's own, but I doubt they'll steal the thunder of "highest" away from their new Southeast thrill capital. I hope they do, though.

• Like 1