The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

11 minutes ago, JubJester said:

I don't understand why a tree being removed is a part of this discussion. Trees get removed all the time, by professionals. Trees get removed every year at the park and all around the city.

There was a tree near International Street by the funnel cake place that got removed a year ago so. This was because the brick around it was rising. Not because a new attraction was coming.

I forgot, we're getting an I-Street Giga! :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, JubJester said:

I don't understand why a tree being removed is a part of this discussion. Trees get removed all the time, by professionals. Trees get removed every year at the park and all around the city.

There was a tree near International Street by the funnel cake place that got removed a year ago so. This was because the brick around it was rising. Not because a new attraction was coming.

But over an acre of trees next to the world’s best wooded coaster? Suspiscious.

2 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

1. I was answering someone else.

You quoted me and talked about ash trees. Why would you do that if you were answering someone else? 

56 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

What would be more suspicious would be them building a coaster that interacted with the world's best wooded coaster. 

5 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Why not?

I am interested in this as well.  A Giga has hills and valleys just like terrain.  If it is designed to the topography what difference does it make except maybe a little cheaper in materials?   Certainly one of the draws of a Giga is the impressive view of the first drop and that could be a problem if it is hidden.    

Gigas need other very large hills to burn off the momentum, and with the hilly terrain like by Beast, you're going to have extremely large and impractical support structures.   There are simply better spots to put a giga than back there.  Why not use the better spots?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Gigas need other very large hills to burn off the momentum, and with the hilly terrain like by Beast, you're going to have extremely large and impractical support structures.   There are simply better spots to put a giga than back there.  Why not use the better spots?

Look at Fury 325. The second hill is only 180 feet tall. Mostly Fury stays low to the ground since its focus is maintaining the 95 mph from drop to brakes.

9 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Beast never took "best wooden coaster" in my personal rankings. I prefer Mystic Timbers over Beast. Imo there is a better wooden coaster in Indiana called The Voyage, but I deeply respect your opinion.

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

I am interested in this as well.  A Giga has hills and valleys just like terrain.  If it is designed to the topography what difference does it make except maybe a little cheaper in materials?   Certainly one of the draws of a Giga is the impressive view of the first drop and that could be a problem if it is hidden.    

I honestly think a hidden first drop would be nice since the GP has no idea what the drop would be like and it would probably scare the mess out of some of them.

54 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I still don’t get this.  If designed to the terrain correctly it would need much shorter support structures.  For example if the station is at a high elevation the supports for the first drop would not need to be a full 300+ feet.  If the next hill followed the terrain of the next natural hill the supports would not need to be as tall on flat ground as well.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

I still don’t get this.  If designed to the terrain correctly it would need much shorter support structures.  For example if the station is at a high elevation the supports for the first drop would not need to be a full 300+ feet.  If the next hill followed the terrain of the next natural hill the supports would not need to be as tall on flat ground as well.  

However, the footers would have to be much deeper as you do not want your Coaster to coast down a hill.

10 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

However, the footers would have to be much deeper as you do not want your Coaster to coast down a hill.

True we don’t need another sinking coaster like Vortex or Magnum but you hit bedrock sooner on a hill. Of course that is dependent on the geology.  See the cuts on an Interstate highway.  

• Haha 3

As the park just opened, I think all of us should take a step back and wait before we say it is or isn't something. As far as we know we may never get a Giga. I've been part of the problem of this Giga entitlement thing. I think we all need to wait for a little more evidence before we make any claims as to why any work is being done. None of us are equipped to say what they're doing. We're just average guests who take special interest.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JudeHoward said:

As the park just opened, I think all of us should take a step back and wait before we say it is or isn't something. As far as we know we may never get a Giga. I've been part of the problem of this Giga entitlement thing. I think we all need to wait for a little more evidence before we make any claims as to why any work is being done. None of us are equipped to say what they're doing. We're just average guests who take special interest.

Agreed.

However, few things to note.

1. Dinosaurs Alive is gone.

2. Dinosaur Alive Elevation has been flattened, and up to 300k cft of earth has been relocated.

3. New runoff pipes being installed by Beast.

4. Concrete pad with rebar was seen in places of Dinosaurs Alive.

I’m just stating the facts. 

2 minutes ago, JudeHoward said:

You're right, but I think I'd rather have the park build a ground up RMC.

Yes, but RMC is a gift that it allows parks to take out costly rides and replace them with a smooth, inexpensive, crowd pleaser. Only 35% of RMCs built were ground up projects.

• Like 1