The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

I was on Banshee the other day and looked at the old station for SOB while on the break run and I thought there was plenty of room for a quick turn out of the station for the lift hill to go over bat's turn around. Even though that Coney Mall or Xbase makes more sense to me, I wouldn't rule out that station 100% since last May, I saw a post on Instagram about men in suits with an ipad, camera, and clipboard looking at SOB's station (who are believed to be Cedar Fair people.) Which either one of two things were happening. Either they are planning for a new haunted house (which makes sense to me.) Or they were surveying the station to see how a new coaster (probably giga) would fit there. Since the rumor is 2021 for the new ride. I know that it takes at least three years to plan a coaster so maybe they were starting to plan by surveying the station. But imo, it'll be in Coney Mall or Xbase. Although, I wouldn't freak out if it was put in the SOB station to give nods to the massive woodie. @KI FANATIC 37 nice profile pictice by the way. Go Cats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I was on Banshee the other day and looked at the old station for SOB while on the break run and I thought there was plenty of room for a quick turn out of the station for the lift hill to go over bat's turn around. Even though that Coney Mall or Xbase makes more sense to me, I wouldn't rule out that station 100% since last May, I saw a post on Instagram about men in suits with an ipad, camera, and clipboard looking at SOB's station (who are believed to be Cedar Fair people.) Which either one of two things were happening. Either they are planning for a new haunted house (which makes sense to me.) Or they were surveying the station to see how a new coaster (probably giga) would fit there. Since the rumor is 2021 for the new ride. I know that it takes at least three years to plan a coaster so maybe they were starting to plan by surveying the station. But imo, it'll be in Coney Mall or Xbase. Although, I wouldn't freak out if it was put in the SOB station to give nods to the massive woodie. @KI FANATIC 37 nice profile pictice by the way. Go Cats!

You still didn't answer my questions. 

With a theory in mind, you can try to justify the numerous ways it'd work, but just because someone thinks it could work, doesn't mean that it would/will. 

You may see that it looks like there is plenty of room, but doesn't mean there is. While there may be space directly around the station (where the former break run for SOB was), there is little to no room outside of the SOB station bubble. You'd have to have track over The Bat and Banshee, especially to access that big field. Even then, you have the vehicles from both rides be able to move within the clearance envelope without striking anything. 

I've ruled it out 100%...it just doesn't make business sense nor does it make logistical sense. 

Who's post was it on Instagram? If it was something don't you think it would have had much bigger response than a mention of it (by you now) since May of last year? They likely were planning for Haunt if they were truly from Cedar Fair (did they have name tags? CF full timers still wear name tags). What would be the purpose of surveying the station for a new coaster when they have the blue prints and building specs already on property? 

As far as nods to the massive woodie that SOB was....we've already got one, an eternal flame. It's dead and will always be. No need to keep trying to remember it in different ways. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rhyano said:

Where do you get the 2021 rumor? There's no hints or anything credible to the point of calling out random years, also Son of Beast's old station is really ugly.

That's why it's called a rumor. When there is no hints or anything, all we can do is speculate. Like saying that it may reuse the SOB station is called speculation. Our giga could be something like fury, a 300+ foot tall RMC woodie or Trex, a 300+ foot tall Mack, a poler coaster around the Eiffel Tower or never happening. We just don't know. The park tries to keep their future plans under raps and sometimes things do get out. I'm just saying that 2021 is just a rumor. There are still people saying that it's happening next year even though that there has been no teasing by the park or land clearing, there are people still saying it's going to be next year. Other rumors I've heard is 2020. I've also heard the 50th anniversary in 2022. My prediction right now is 2021, but that may change with time. Yes, SOB's station isn't the best station for a coaster, but Cedar Fair has turned a very ugly station into a good station. Twisted Timbers imo has a way better station than Hurler did. I do see it in Xbase or Coney Mall, but if KI were to surprise us and put it in the old SOB station, I wouldn't complain.

• Like 2

I don't think they're going to use the old SOB station for any new coaster imo.   We may not even get a Giga for our next coaster.  Some people thought we was getting a giga in 2014 and then thought we could get one in 2017, both turned out not to happen.  

I think the park is doing a good job gauging what they need.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

You still didn't answer my questions. 

With a theory in mind, you can try to justify the numerous ways it'd work, but just because someone thinks it could work, doesn't mean that it would/will. 

You may see that it looks like there is plenty of room, but doesn't mean there is. While there may be space directly around the station (where the former break run for SOB was), there is little to no room outside of the SOB station bubble. You'd have to have track over The Bat and Banshee, especially to access that big field. Even then, you have the vehicles from both rides be able to move within the clearance envelope without striking anything. 

I've ruled it out 100%...it just doesn't make business sense nor does it make logistical sense. 

Who's post was it on Instagram? If it was something don't you think it would have had much bigger response than a mention of it (by you now) since May of last year? They likely were planning for Haunt if they were truly from Cedar Fair (did they have name tags? CF full timers still wear name tags). What would be the purpose of surveying the station for a new coaster when they have the blue prints and building specs already on property? 

As far as nods to the massive woodie that SOB was....we've already got one, an eternal flame. It's dead and will always be. No need to keep trying to remember it in different ways. 

I'm glad that you have ruled it out 100%, but that has absolutely zero bearing on what the park is going to do.

The park has reused a station before, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of reasonable.  The station itself is not a large portion of the project budget, but it's a significant amount when you include the queue line, exit, photo booth, maintenance access roads, and the biggest cost, utilities.

I don't think the park will use it for a coaster station, because I don't believe they'll install another coaster in an already cramped corner of the park.

• Like 3

Yeah not a chance that it is used again. Unless they pick it up and move it ( this won't happen because it will coat less just to build a new station). Keep on dreaming that it will once again have a coaster passing through it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

I'm glad that you have ruled it out 100%, but that has absolutely zero bearing on what the park is going to do.

The park has reused a station before, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of reasonable.  The station itself is not a large portion of the project budget, but it's a significant amount when you include the queue line, exit, photo booth, maintenance access roads, and the biggest cost, utilities.

I don't think the park will use it for a coaster station, because I don't believe they'll install another coaster in an already cramped corner of the park.

I didn't say it would have any bearing on what the park is going to do. I said it in response to:

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I wouldn't rule out that station 100% since last May, I saw a post on Instagram about men in suits with an ipad, camera, and clipboard looking at SOB's station (who are believed to be Cedar Fair people.)

I ruled it out based on business decisions I've seen in the past few years out of the company. I'm aware that the park has reused a station before...but that was prior to Cedar Fair taking over. Rougarou, TT and Steel Vengeance being the exceptions that I can think of, off the top of my head, are/were retrofits of the previous ride/using the previous structure/track.  

Anyway.....

@Hawaiian Coasters 325 can you answer these questions?
Can I ask something? This isn't just for you either....anyone can answer. Why do you want the park to use the old SOB station for a new ride? What is so important about it that would make it need to happen especially when there are other areas in the park that a ride station could be placed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Although, I wouldn't freak out if it was put in the SOB station to give nods to the massive woodie. 

Nods seems to be a common theme around here.   Some people like nods I guess.  

To be fair the park does seem to give nods sometimes like the SoB symbol put on Mystic but designing and building a coaster around an old station seems more than a nod.  

• Like 2

Why would the park want a new coaster to be associated with Son of Beast and its various liabilities and injuries? That they acknowledged it at all with Banshee is kind of remarkable. Even then, you have to be able recognize the ride's old logo and years of operation.

• Like 4

I think a lot of us underestimate the fan base SOB accumulated during its life.  There's a lot of people who loved it despite all its flaws.  I think it played a part in the park deciding to build a GCI woodie right after that. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I think a lot of us underestimate the fan base SOB accumulated during its life.  There's a lot of people who loved it despite all its flaws.  I think it played a part in the park deciding to build a GCI woodie right after that. 

I'm sure being able to market an affordable coaster was why they put in a small woodie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Imperial79 said:

I don't think they're going to use the old SOB station for any new coaster imo.   We may not even get a Giga for our next coaster.  Some people thought we was getting a giga in 2014 and then thought we could get one in 2017, both turned out not to happen.  

I think the park is doing a good job gauging what they need.

We didn't get a giga in 2014 because Fury was already planned for the next year. An invert was also much more needed first. They went with a GCI because the park just spent $24 million on Banshee and they wouldn't break that investment just 3 years later. It also was a much needed addition since it provides a new wooden experience to the park and gives something more families could enjoy together. An invert was actually heavily rumored for the park back in the early 2000s/late 90s. 

Anyways, I never said "it would" reuse the Son of Beast station since I'm like 90% guaranteed it won't due to how the park likes to spruce up areas of the park with new coasters. I said that "if it was my decision. Like I was the park owner." I would put it in SOB station to 1) help with foot traffic to The Bat and 2) to give more nods to the past attraction with the station. Right now, I say Coney Mall makes sense. They could give it a theme to go along with the Coney Mall area. Like I was thinking something like Shooting Star to give nods to the old Coney island coaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Anyways, I never said "it would" reuse the Son of Beast station since I'm like 90% guaranteed it won't due to how the park likes to spruce up areas of the park with new coasters. I said that "if it was my decision. Like I was the park owner." I would put it in SOB station to 1) help with foot traffic to The Bat and 2) to give more nods to the past attraction with the station. Right now, I say Coney Mall makes sense. They could give it a theme to go along with the Coney Mall area. Like I was thinking something like Shooting Star to give nods to the old Coney island coaster.

Thank you for finally answering my questions. There are many I see here on social media that are so bent on having a coaster reuse that station and I really don't understand what the park would have to gain from doing that. 

As far as foot traffic to The Bat? I'm pretty sure it gets enough foot traffic. Last year there were several times, I turned around because the line was too long and the ride was still in operation. 

• Like 2

GCI makes a ton of large wooden coasters, I don't consider a 109ft tall GCI roller coaster a "small" wooden coaster, same can be said for Thunderhead at Dollywood, the same can be said with over examples, Maverick is only 105ft, but that's a 21 million dollar investment, Mystery Mine is 85ft and that was 17.5 million dollars, right now the largest GCI built is Wodan at Europa Park at 131ft, and I think there's one in China that I can't remember the name of the park. I really think enthusiasts underestimate how much a roller coaster actually costs to construct, even when RMCs were on the cheaper end to build, they were still millions of dollars and parks don't just drop millions of dollars everyday, Brad Thomas has a great quote in Devin Olson's Outlaw Run documentary: "10.5 million dollars for any company is significant, we don't take our investments lightly"

• Like 3