The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

Is there context to these photos? (Ex. Where and why you posted these?)
I'd be highly shocked if there's a new roller coaster next year. 
Wonder how many pages this thread will be at when the speculation is done...

What you are seeing in the grass is a drainage grate. The orange marker could be anything since I don’t see any other markers even in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What would your choice in colors be? I would chose green track with white supports. I wouldn't choose red because that would be kinda pointless with already having a hyper the color red. I'd also exclude blue track just because three gigas already have blue track. There's fewer coasters out there that are green as opposed to red or blue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I made this giga in the Action Theatre area. I also made sure it doesn't mess up too much with the fireworks launching pad and just goes around it. It also uses the former Dinosaur's Alive space.

IMG_20180506_122728_414.jpg

You have the giga literally surrounding the fireworks launching area. That's a huge safety hazard and the ride would have to be shut down during firework operation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

You have the giga literally surrounding the fireworks launching area. That's a huge safety hazard and the ride would have to be shut down during firework operation.

This is only a drawing. That turn around that looks like it's going over the launch pad isn't actually going over the pad. It's hard to explain, but it's a non inverting dive loop. Yes, they would have to shut the ride down briefly, but the fireworks only last about 15 minutes so you could actually watch the fireworks in line and once the fireworks are done, then they start sending the remaining people in line and unload the two trains that are on the break run during the fireworks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

What would your choice in colors be? I would chose green track with white supports. 

I’m not sure I would want white supports. I view it similarly to a white car - it’ll get pretty dirty and not hard to keep looking “new.”

Obviously there will be examples out there that could be used to prove me otherwise, but I would guess that is why we don’t see pure white often.

I would think that with all of the woods, trees, dirt, etc... at Kings Island, it might look rough quickly. GateKeeper probably holds the white look better because it isn’t surrounded by trees, pollen, dirt, and the like.

• Like 2

My choices for color scheme are 3 different color schemes. 1) light orange track with brown supports (sorta like in the giga I made above). 2) green track with brown supports (to fit the foresty theme). 3) Magenta track with greenish blue supports (similar to Mako.) I like my third choice since B&M makes color schemes look beautiful. Imo both Mako and Fury 325 are the two most beautiful coasters B&M has made (in my opinion). 

• Like 1

the only problem to me of the magenta/blue combo is i feel it would be too similar to Banshee. I like green track since we don't have any coasters with that, and having it with brown supports to fit the forest would be great. I also think black tracks with a highlighted color could look really dynamic. Like a black base with the edges of the track matching the supports. The only issue I see is like the white supports it could be hard to keep looking new. the fading would be really obvious on it.

• Like 2

Something to keep in mind.

And he plans to focus on growth opportunities mostly at four of the company’s parks, Cedar Point, Carowinds near Charlotte, Knott’s Berry Farm, and California’s Great America near Santa Clara.

“The chain has performed really well. All the parks have done well, but those four in particular have helped drive our business,” Mr. Zimmerman said.

http://www.toledoblade.com/business/2018/05/06/Dealing-in-the-thrill-Cedar-Fair-CEO-excited-about-Point-s-future.html

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Something to keep in mind.

And he plans to focus on growth opportunities mostly at four of the company’s parks, Cedar Point, Carowinds near Charlotte, Knott’s Berry Farm, and California’s Great America near Santa Clara.

“The chain has performed really well. All the parks have done well, but those four in particular have helped drive our business,” Mr. Zimmerman said.

http://www.toledoblade.com/business/2018/05/06/Dealing-in-the-thrill-Cedar-Fair-CEO-excited-about-Point-s-future.html

Interesting how KI is not mentioned at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gannersdaddy said:

Well neither is Canada's Wonderland but they're getting a coaster for 2019. Even though Cedar Fair wants to grow some of their other parks, Kings Island is still one of the chain's biggest money makers so don't let what Mr. Zimmerman says scare you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gannersdaddy said:

Yeah, makes no sense since KI is one their best parks in terms of attendance. Carowinds is only around 2 million per year in attendance, where KI is well over 3 million. How is KI not mentioned?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, kirbias1 said:

Yeah, makes no sense since KI is one their best parks in terms of attendance. Carowinds is only around 2 million per year in attendance, where KI is well over 3 million. How is KI not mentioned?

Because the comment is stating the parks Cedar Fair wants to develop more. I'm sure Cedar Fair wants Carowinds to get attendance numbers similar to what KI, CP, and Canada's Wonderland have. I'd say Cedar Fair is pretty happy where KI is right now so they're making other parks the priority for the time being.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the parks do a lot of the planning with the team at Cedar Fair? Like lets say the high up officials at KI hears us say (we want something like Fury 325 at Carowinds!) and then they take those wishes and works with Rob Decker and Richard Zimmerman to try and make it happen. Yes, there are multiple other things involved too (like ROI and such), but I think the parks do a lot of the planning with the team at Cedar Fair. I think they were like that with Banshee since people were begging for an invert since the 1990's. I know people also wanted a hyper for a while as well.  

• Like 1

All the parks are doing very well like what is stated,  I'm pretty sure I read that KI was having its best year ever in 2017,  Cedar Fair I believe is happy with the park and Rob Decker and others always have smiles on their faces when talking about KI.  It will be very interesting to see the graph of the parks EBIDTA for 2017. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grobble said:

A long term development plan to make Carowinds the "Thrill Capital of the Southeast" was revealed in an investor presentation and I-305 was the start. CGA has a 20yr plan and was stated as having favorable demographics, surrounding area income levels, etc...  San Fran and Charlotte are growing areas with population bases of ideal patrons.  CP and KB are #1 and #2 in revenue and EBIDTA by a wide margin over #3, so they are going to get prioritized investment.  Why these 4 are mentioned is clear.  Wonderland while not being mentioned specifically has been growing fast and will surpass KI soon(closed the gap to next to nothing and that's with Wonderland getting a coaster since 2012.)   KI has not been growing revenue/EBIDTA as fast as others and does not have an area that is ripe but untapped, like a CGA or Carowinds.

I'm sure you mean Intimidator. I-305 is at Kings Dominion. Yes wonderland will surpass KI soon since they have a way better flat ride collection plus a new B&M coming next year. They also have a hyper and giga. KI really needs to step up on their flat ride collection before they get a giga. I live in the Kings Mills area and they actually have plans to develop that area in the spam of the next several years. There is a new Marriott hotel being built in the former KI inn area.

1 hour ago, chugh43 said:

They'll build for what makes the most business sense. People can want a Giga all they want, but it doesn't mean it's going to happen, especially when they think it will happen.

Imo a giga makes business sense since the park has been not gaining revenue as fast (like what @Grobble said). A 300 footer would help since that would really draw people in because the idea of dropping 300+ feet at over 90 mph catches the GP eye.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm sure you mean Intimidator. I-305 is at Kings Dominion. Yes wonderland will surpass KI soon since they have a way better flat ride collection plus a new B&M coming next year. They also have a hyper and giga. KI really needs to step up on their flat ride collection before they get a giga. I live in the Kings Mills area and they actually have plans to develop that area in the spam of the next several years. There is a new Marriott hotel being built in the former KI inn area.

Imo a giga makes business sense since the park has been not gaining revenue as fast (like what @Grobble said). A 300 footer would help since that would really draw people in because the idea of dropping 300+ feet at over 90 mph catches the GP eye.

You're not Cedar Fair though....there's a difference between someone who doesn't make business decisions saying it makes business sense and Cedar Fair saying it makes business sense.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

You're not Cedar Fair though....there's a difference between someone who doesn't make business decisions saying it makes business sense and Cedar Fair saying it makes business sense.

That is true. I'm not Cedar Fair, but when I watched Rob Decker's interview from Fury's opening, I felt his reasoning could spark a giga for Kings Island. Again, our next coaster doesn't have to be a giga, but I find the whole "They won't get a giga because they are too close to Cedar Point" claim silly. In my opinion it makes sense to install one because it would bring in more revenue to the chain (like what Fury, I305, and Leviathan did) and would bring a ton of people to the area and would spike the Warren County tourist numbers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

That is true. I'm not Cedar Fair, but when I watched Rob Decker's interview from Fury's opening, I felt his reasoning could spark a giga for Kings Island. Again, our next coaster doesn't have to be a giga, but I find the whole "They won't get a giga because they are too close to Cedar Point" claim silly. In my opinion it makes sense to install one because it would bring in more revenue to the chain (like what Fury, I305, and Leviathan did) and would bring a ton of people to the area and would spike the Warren County tourist numbers. 

Who recently has said that KI won't install one because it's too close to CP? I certainly did not. How do you know that a giga will bring in more revenue than another coaster? How do you know that it'll bring more folks than those who are already coming? KI can bring in a smaller coaster and it'll still boost numbers. You're just stuck on a Giga.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

You're just stuck on a Giga.

You are correct. Kings Island could add a dive coaster or another multi launch coaster and people would come. Though most of us would absolutely love to see a giga come, the park doesn't necessarily need it to boost attendance. Kings Island has such a loyal GP that its pretty content with whatever the park adds.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

Who recently has said that KI won't install one because it's too close to CP? I certainly did not. How do you know that a giga will bring in more revenue than another coaster? How do you know that it'll bring more folks than those who are already coming? KI can bring in a smaller coaster and it'll still boost numbers. You're just stuck on a Giga.

I'm just speaking from my view from talking to the General Public. The idea of dropping 300+ feet at over 90 mph really catches their eye. Yes, I want a giga more than anything, but I also don't think they 100% need it. I'm definitely never giving up on a giga coming eventually. Smaller coasters will boost numbers yes, but a 300 footer would boost more numbers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm just speaking from my view from talking to the General Public. The idea of dropping 300+ feet at over 90 mph really catches their eye. Yes, I want a giga more than anything, but I also don't think they 100% need it. I'm definitely never giving up on a giga coming eventually. Smaller coasters will boost numbers yes, but a 300 footer would boost more numbers.

How do you know that? It’s not an exact science. How do you know what the GP wants? Look at the comment section on any of the Fury 325 publicity on Facebook, most said heck no, that’s too high for me. 

• Like 3