The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

It's very easy to just not read threads one isn't interested in. If people are still posting, it is because they are still interested in discussion. If others feel it's just the same thing, stop coming to look. 

The Zimmerman article prompted people to want to discuss this some more, and this is the appropriate place to do so. Closing this thread would have meant that either another was started or it would have flowed into another established thread, maybe one not so obvious to avoid if one believes speculating about a possible Giga is beating a dead horse. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

I am saying the park is not performing up the the suits' expectations.

Give me a break. Kings Island is the second most popular seasonal park in the country. 2017 had the most heavily attended regular season ever.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Magenta Lizard said:

It's very easy to just not read threads one isn't interested in. If people are still posting, it is because they are still interested in discussion. If others feel it's just the same thing, stop coming to look. 

So, you want to encourage people to keep "beating a dead horse" and to keep fighting with each other? Nothing really useful recently has came up here. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

So, you want to encourage people to keep "beating a dead horse" and to keep fighting with each other? Nothing really useful recently has came up here. 

I don’t encourage my kids to rough house but nothing I do will stop it.  I can send them outside to do it and have some sanity or yell at them constantly. 

• Like 2

Right now there is no need to lock this thread. As @Magenta Lizard mentioned, if that is done the discussion will bleed into other threads. Keeping it in one place is best. Even though it does seem it goes in loops, and at times goes off the deep end, there has been some awesome discussion here. We have seen some cool layouts, interesting discussions about placement, and reasoning for a giga. Lastly, keeping it alive shows the park there is a desire for a giga from its biggest fans. 

The admins just ask that you respect each others opinions and not take things personally. When something rubs you wrong, walk away for a bit before using your emotions to reply.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Give me a break. Kings Island is the second most popular seasonal park in the country. 2017 had the most heavily attended regular season ever.

#2 in the country based on what?  Most attended regular season based on what source?  Please cite official numbers year over year from a real source.

Btw, you do know in the theme park industry more attendance doesn't always mean more revenue and EBIDTA. If the increase in attendance is just season pass holders making more visits. Parks always talk about the mix of patrons. Per cap spending is what corporate want to see increasing while also getting increased attendance.  Decreasing per caps with increased attendance is what Six Flags has been doing for the last 4 to 5 years or so. Cedar Fair is not a low cost/high attendance model, they are lower attendance/higher cost model. It's how CF produces the same revenue as SF with 6M less annual visitors.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Indeed, by reading some of this thread,  you'd think the park isn't doing very good, and we barely get anything new...

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Grobble said:

#2 in the country based on what?  Most attended regular season based on what source?  Please cite official numbers year over year from a real source.

If you are asking for data sources, you need to provide sources yourself for what you claim.

• Like 8

Wonder how the park would be if ed hart bought it.

Seems like the good old boy network with Cedar Fair.  

Example:

Them promoting the dorney park gm to build up carowinds the same time they got fury and sn expansion.   Anyone could be successful.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

I thought Cedar Fair did not release attendance 

They don't and haven't for a long while, but we gather this info from their quarterly results.  Here is their 3rd quarter results for 2017, attendance was up for the chain and they mention specifically being up for Kings Island because of MT,  Knott's and Cedar Point because of the water park expansions.  This is before Winterfest numbers as well...

http://www.inparkmagazine.com/cedar-fair-reports-record-revenues-for-q3-2017/

• Like 2

This is a KI giga speculation thread. Not a Cedar Fair park attendance result thread. All I can say is a giga would bring up attendance. But again I see new flats coming first (both family and thrilling flat rides). Again, we don't "need" a giga. We have a solid line up already, but I would be shocked if one didn't come in the next decade since we get lots of attention by Cedar Fair.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

This is a KI giga speculation thread. Not a Cedar Fair park attendance result thread. All I can say is a giga would bring up attendance. But again I see new flats coming first (both family and thrilling flat rides). Again, we don't "need" a giga. We have a solid line up already, but I would be shocked if one didn't come in the next decade since we get lots of attention by Cedar Fair.

You opened the door for the attendance talk when you said that you thought a giga would bring people into the park. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

You opened the door for the attendance talk when you said that you thought a giga would bring people into the park. 

Yes, I did, but I said it just as a reason that a giga makes sense imo. I didn't say it to get people talking about the attendance results from last season or past seasons.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I'll be honest. That makes no sense what so ever haha. Why use tanning beds when you have the sun. Now if you wanted to place tanning beds over there during Winterfest you may be on to something.

I was being sarcastic about the number of variables that affects who goes to the park.

• Like 3