The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

On 8/27/2018 at 6:11 PM, Codyfryguy said:

I have 3 words for you all...Flying GIGA Coaster! Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think it'd be awesome! If they're going to make a Giga and spend all that money they might as well make it really unique. Flying Coaster, Stand-up Coaster, Dive, whatever. As a fan of Top Thrill Dragster, I often wish someone would take that launch-into-a-Strata idea, and then build a big coaster after the drop instead of slamming on the brakes. At least we can dream...

• Like 3

On 8/29/2018 at 11:43 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Interesting sidenote, on the document I posted a couple of pages earlier it shows the company Baynum Painting Inc which is a roller coaster painting company that is located in Newport. They repainted TTD, Rougarou, and did touch up work on a ton if other coasters. 

Screenshot_2018-08-15-18-24-50~2.png

http://www.baynumpainting.com/completed-projects/

Before you freak out and immediately think Racer repaint, they do a lot of touching up after roller coasters are built so Baynum Painting Inc is most likely going to be involved in the B&M project.

Maybe repainting DB? I hope at least. Its sooo faded. I'm still praying for a repaint of Racer though. During the Blog Meetup,  you could see how much it needs it. lol

So we know is B&M will be making a coaster and the speculation is it will be a giga, won’t this put KI in the same situation as Carowinds is in with Fury 325 and intimidator?  That is to say two coasters by same manufacturer (B&M) with very similar elements aside from first lift hill height. Totally a First world problem, but  I hope we get something that makes it stand out   Such as using the terrain and offering a great night ride.  Any other ideas what could be done so that Diamondback doesn’t just just come off as a smaller version of the new coaster?  

39 minutes ago, Duck0987 said:

So we know is B&M will be making a coaster and the speculation is it will be a giga, won’t this put KI in the same situation as Carowinds is in with Fury 325 and intimidator?  That is to say two coasters by same manufacturer (B&M) with very similar elements aside from first lift hill height. Totally a First world problem, but  I hope we get something that makes it stand out   Such as using the terrain and offering a great night ride.  Any other ideas what could be done so that Diamondback doesn’t just just come off as a smaller version of the new coaster?  

I love Diamondback, but at the end of the day, it is a coaster that is almost 100% focused on airtime (nothing wrong with that at all). A Giga that adds in some forcefull turns and hugs the terrain would provide a very different ride experience than Diamondback does. sure, if a B&M giga is built that is all about airtime, it would be very similar to Diamondback, but a different layout could make the giga and Diamondback stand out next to eachother as much as The Racer and The Beast stand out from eachother.

2 hours ago, Rifleman said:

I love Diamondback, but at the end of the day, it is a coaster that is almost 100% focused on airtime (nothing wrong with that at all). A Giga that adds in some forcefull turns and hugs the terrain would provide a very different ride experience than Diamondback does. sure, if a B&M giga is built that is all about airtime, it would be very similar to Diamondback, but a different layout could make the giga and Diamondback stand out next to eachother as much as The Racer and The Beast stand out from eachother.

That is my hope.  That and I really don’t want a view of the parking lot or somehow incorporating the coaster into a front enterance redesign, (eg. fury 325 or GateKeeper). I don’t see how they could considering what would be in the way. I’m crossing my  fingers for something fast, that gets low to the ground, in the woods, and reusing the SoB station.   I don’t ask for a lot ;-)

• Like 1

There is actually a huge difference between Fury 325 and Intimidator besides the height of the lift/drop. Rob Decker said it himself on the media day from Fury 325 when he was asked about it in an interview. I actually posted that video in here before. "The main difference is that Intimidator is all about the drop with a bunch of floater airtime hills (speed, slow, airtime, speed, slow, airtime, speed) and Fury is about the lift/drop and maintaining the 95 mph throughout the ride. That second hill could easily be 200-300 feet tall, but it's not it's 180. It's a giant banked turn." (Rob Decker Fury 325 media day)

• Like 1

I was thinking. What if Kings Island got the Giga-Dive that Yukon Striker was rumored to be. Yes, those are one trick ponies and a lot of us would rather a Fury 325 type coaster, but we got to remember that us enthusiasts are a very small percentage. Dive coasters are GP eye catchers and I think a dive coaster would really please the Kings Island guests. A Giga-Dive would fill 2 majors holes in our coaster lineup. A giga and a 90 degree drop. Based on the Kings Island guests, that hold over that 90 degree drop would really please the Kings Island guests. I don't really want it to happen, but I would understand why if it did end up happening. A perfect location for it imo is where Congo Falls and Timberwolf is. The reason I say that is that the view from up there of the Mason/Kings Mills area would be excellent. Or they could up the ampe and take out Invertigo to give it an entrance effect. I know I will get bashed for bringing up a Giga-Dive, but I just wanted to bring it up. Plus, my dad would really love it because me and him when to Cedar Point and he really liked front seat of Valravn. 

• Like 2

@Hawaiian Coasters 325 no, I'd prefer to have to have two seperate coasters. I can't recall the last time Canada's Wonderland has had a record breaking coaster so there's no need to beat them. Besides, its more about the experience than the height anymore. We'll get our giga soon and maybe a dive coaster in the far future when the trend dies out. Now that doesn't rule out the possibility of a giga with a 90° drop as Fury is 81°

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

@Hawaiian Coasters 325 no, I'd prefer to have to have two seperate coasters. I can't recall the last time Canada's Wonderland has had a record breaking coaster so there's no need to beat them. Besides, its more about the experience than the height anymore. We'll get our giga soon and maybe a dive coaster in the far future when the trend dies out. Now that doesn't rule out the possibility of a giga with a 90° drop as Fury is 81°

As would I prefer two separate coasters.

Though I think it'll be the traditional B&M Giga, a Giga Dive coaster would be sick! Can you imagine being perched at the top of a 340 ft. drop? Gulp. As cool as that would be, I'd don't know that we'd be the ones to get that. But what if KI hinted at that before the announcement (much like The Bat wing coaster idea on the site before Banshee's reveal)? Then the official annonuncement, it would be like...

12 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

A 90° drop is something the park doesn't have yet and something we could definitely use in our lineup. 

I hope that with all the concepts, predictions, and requests we have that we won't be disappointed when a giga eventually does come. 

Enthusiasts can get a little too big for their britches.

I'm not expecting any of our concepts to be the actual plans if a giga does happen. But, I think it's cool that @IndyGuy4KI actually told Chad Showalter (KI director of communications) about the concept things that me and @Maverick44 started doing.

• Like 3

FUN FACT:

Construction for Diamondback officially started October 11, 2007 (https://archive.is/20130128040706/http://kiDiamondback.com/public/latest/blog/index.cfm?entry=badd8f9e-684a-46ba-80d0-a4ced97a1822), with the removal of a single tree near Swan Lake.

In other words, if this 2020 coaster is to be a Giga, I think "official" construction might be starting sooner than we think...

--

@Hawaiian Coasters 325 For that video you found above, I couldn't help to notice that it said "World's Longest Gigacoaster".

I found that to be a little funny considering that "World's Longest Giga" would be one and the same with World's Longest Coaster.

Like saying World's Tallest Strata, World's Fastest Launched Coaster, or....

World's Roughest TOGO - :D

• Like 4