The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

Forgot to talk about this, but...

Can Chaos Laboratories please be involved in the Giga's backstory somehow? Besides the first few rooms, I think my favorite part of Chaos (the new Haunt maze) is that epic voiceover whike waiting in line. Whike waiting for it to open on Saturday, that voiceover got me pumped and gave me major Millennium Force vibes (the voiceover lady sounds like the Millennium Force commercial lady).

If you need a refresher on that epic commercial, here it is...

• Like 2

Updating the speculation on the thread

What we know:

• Cedar Fair has added 3 gigas to its parks since 2010
  • Each giga installed is taller than the last
  • Kings Island is the only major Cedar Fair park without one
  • Kings Island just removed a coaster
    • The last time this happened, a new coaster followed
  • There are construction permits proving that the park is indeed working with B&M in 2019 & 2020
    • No record regarding height of said coaster
  • There's now nothing occupying the Firehawk area and the old Dinosaurs Alive land
  • The old Lion Country Safari land is still vacant
  • 2020 would be three years since KI got their last coaster
    • Mystic Timbers came three years after Banshee
    • In an interview, Greg Shied said it takes about three years to plan a coaster

What we can speculate:

• The whether the B&M project is really a giga
    • It doesn't indicate a height in the permit so we technically can't say its a giga
    • X-Base is the predicted site
    • The height, length, and speed of the coaster
    • Miscellaneous parts of the ride
      • Color, theme, etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be ok with a Dive coaster or floorless. However, I just built a Giga in RCT2 and I'm starting to get super hyped about the possibilty of a Giga coming to KI.

EDIT: Here is said Giga...

20181004_100817.jpg

It's called Diver (it's the blue and white coaster) and has a 15 mph lift like Millennium Force. It goes 101 MPH, is 6,483 ft/300 ft tall and includes a vertical twist drop at the far end. Also, there is no MCBR.

• Like 4

On 10/2/2018 at 1:30 PM, fryoj said:

Hmmm, I could have sworn that it said "Coney Mall Improvement Project" somewhere in the docs, but I sure can't find it now. The 2020 B&M is for sure in there. I guess location is still technically a question, but it going anywhere but the Firehawk area would be a shock at this point.

The Xbase area isnt big enough to be its own area and in most cases is considered part of Coney Mall for this kind of things till it expands more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

I have one question for you guys. How will you react if the 2020 B&M coaster isn’t the gigacoaster, but one of the other models that the park doesn’t have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its certainly plausible to me.  Pretty much anything but a stand up is something I think could be coming in as well.  I'd guess either a B&M flyer or floorless are the 2 more likely candidates.  Wing and dive, IMO, are less likely but still there to be considered. 

From most likely to least likely IMO-

Giga makes sense because its something of a trend among the bigger CF parks and its been rumored for a while.

Flyer makes sense because it'd be replacing the flying coaster that's now on the way out.

Floorless makes sense due to replacing a big multi-inversion coaster for another and its kind of a lesser staple at parks KI's size. 

I put wing and dive coasters lower because unlike Canada's Wonderland, KI is in the same state as CP so they share more demographics together and I'd like not to see the 2 parks becoming too similar.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

I have one question for you guys. How will you react if the 2020 B&M coaster isn’t the gigacoaster, but one of the other models that the park doesn’t have?

I'm sure that would go down like any other coaster announcement: with cries of "but that's not what you promised" and "I'm never buying another pass again" and "why would they do that, there's obviously a [other model] hole in the ride lineup!"

• Like 3

I'm sure that would go down like any other coaster announcement: with cries of "but that's not what you promised" and "I'm never buying another pass again" and "why would they do that, there's obviously a [other model] hole in the ride lineup!"

Even if the gigacoaster is the ride for 2020 when announced, you know people are going to complain that, “It’s just like Diamondback but only bigger!”.

People have actually said that on social media when Leviathan and Fury325 were announced. That they were just bigger versions of Behemoth and Intimidator.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

Even if the gigacoaster is the ride for 2020 when announced, you know people are going to complain that, “It’s just like Diamondback but only bigger!”.

People have actually said that on social media when Leviathan and Fury325 were announced. That they were just bigger versions of Behemoth and Intimidator.

You know the GP will say "I loved Firehawk and they replaced it with a bigger Diamondback. I miss Paramount. Bring back Son of Beast".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

People will complain no matter what is announced.  They could install the greatest coaster in the world that hands out $100 bills as you enter the station and somebody would complain...

I can think of a handful of "holes" in KI's lineup, each park is going to have "holes" to one extent or another, as one of CF's larger parks, its "holes" are relatively small compared to many parks not only in the chain, but nationwide.  For a long while, I thought the Giga was KI's most obvious hole, but once I rode Renegade up at Valley Fair, that type of coaster jumped to the top of my wish list.  Needless to say, i was extremely pleased when Mystic Timbers was announced, and was not disappointed (other than the obvious over hype of the shed).

Flying Coaster...with Firehawk's removal, that is an obvious hole.  Even though B&M offers a model, I think the GP would be annoyed if you removed one ride, and put something that similar right back in its place.  I don't sense much of a demand for this, on a scale of 1-10, I'd say 0.

Giga... as stated numerous times on this site not to mention above, KI is the only large park in the chain (capable of going that high) with out one.  On a scale of 1-10, I'll say this is a 9

Wild Mouse.. I think KI could use this family style attraction (don't think B&M offers a model), preferable if it had a 46" height limit (my only regret on Mysty is that its 48").  Would work well in Planet Snoopy, but with Mysty just added there isn't a huge need for a family coaster, and certainly not in the space the are about to open up, I'd say 0, but would love to see one long term in the next 10 years.

Dive..I think this would work great in either The Vortex or Stunt coaster spaces.  Despite popular opinion, I hope neither leave any time soon.  Still, with the Pointe's being newish, I doubt KI sees on in the next 10 years, doesn't make much sense... I'll put this at a 3

Wing coaster... This would actually work quite well back in that space... I'll put this at a 5.

Ground up RMC...other than the giga or nothing else, I think this would be extremely popular choice.  I'd put this at a 7, but since the papers said B&M its more like a 0 (unless they fudged a bit).

4th dimension... just no, too long a wait for a park of KI's size.  If they got ride of Invertigo, OK, I could see it, but not now. 0

Floorless... I've always envisioned Vortex's replacement to be a B&M floorless.  If Vortex had hit the chopping block, this would be my odds on favorite...5

Water Coaster (or whatever they are called down in Santa Claus, IN)...  Not going in on the dry side, but for a water park the size that KI has, I can't believe they haven't installed something like this.  For 2020, I say 0, but like the wild mouse, i really hope they get one in the next 10 years (ie the next water park expansion/addition)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

I'd be ok with a Dive coaster or floorless. However, I just built a Giga in RCT2 and I'm starting to get super hyped about the possibilty of a Giga coming to KI.

EDIT: Here is said Giga...

20181004_100817.jpg

It's called Diver (it's the blue and white coaster) and has a 15 mph lift like Millennium Force. It goes 101 MPH, is 6,483 ft/300 ft tall and includes a vertical twist drop at the far end. Also, there is no MCBR.

You need Planet Coaster my friend.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Updating the speculation on the thread

What we know:

• Cedar Fair has added 3 gigas to its parks since 2010
  • Each giga installed is taller than the last
  • Kings Island is the only major Cedar Fair park without one
  • Kings Island just removed a coaster
    • The last time this happened, a new coaster followed
  • There are construction permits proving that the park is indeed working with B&M in 2019 & 2020
    • No record regarding height of said coaster
  • There's now nothing occupying the Firehawk area and the old Dinosaurs Alive land
  • The old Lion Country Safari land is still vacant
  • 2020 would be three years since KI got their last coaster
    • Mystic Timbers came three years after Banshee
    • In an interview, Greg Shied said it takes about three years to plan a coaster

What we can speculate:

• The whether the B&M project is really a giga
    • It doesn't indicate a height in the permit so we technically can't say its a giga
    • X-Base is the predicted site
    • The height, length, and speed of the coaster
    • Miscellaneous parts of the ride
      • Color, theme, etc

You’re looking over a key detail. B&M will be working onsite in 2018-2019 and 2019-2020. This is a TWO year project. For comparison, the Diamondback project(one of B&M’s most complex projects, only required B&M to be onsite in 08-09). Whatever is being built, it is large.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

You’re looking over a key detail. B&M will be working onsite in 2018-2019 and 2019-2020. This is a TWO year project. For comparison, the Diamondback project(one of B&M’s most complex projects, only required B&M to be onsite in 08-09). Whatever is being built, it is large.

I considered the antique cars to be 2018-2019 but maybe you're on to something!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

I considered the antique cars to be 2018-2019 but maybe you're on to something!

Let’s take a look at Fury. That was a three year project, as mentioned during enthusiasts events. The first year dealt with land/terrain alterations/waterway modifications.

Now everyone is going to say it didn’t happen at KI. However you had multiple sites(Coaster Nation, Coaster-Net, etc...) that reported there was work being done around Firehawk runoff network/ Dino’s.

Put that piece of information with the fact that in year 2, Carowinds was working with B&M to install footings for Fury. At KI, why would B&M be contracted in 2018 if we’re getting Antiques in 2019? The most likely reason is that they’re preparing for the third  stage of construction which starts in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

And then they ride it in 2020 and will say "Wow! That was nothing like Diamondback!" Diamondback is all about the floater airtime hills. Fury 325 (or the possible KI giga) focuses on speed and intensity. 

• Like 3

The main difference between B&M Hyper's and B&M gigas are the airtime hills. Most gigas, with exception to Steel Dragon 2000, are low to the ground with maybe one big hill aside from the lift hill. Also gigas, again with exception to Steel Dragon 2000, don't have a mid-course brake run which allows the train to keep a fairly constant speed for the duration of the ride. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

The main difference between B&M Hyper's and B&M gigas are the airtime hills. Most gigas, with exception to Steel Dragon 2000, are low to the ground with maybe one big hill aside from the lift hill. Also gigas, again with exception to Steel Dragon 2000, don't have a mid-course brake run which allows the train to keep a fairly constant speed for the duration of the ride. 

Mind if I interject something? Fury has a ton of airtime throughout the ride, however unlike Diamondback where it’s achieved through parabolic zero-g elements, it’s done through quick, rapid transitions that generate a zero-g effect.

On 10/4/2018 at 3:54 PM, medford said:

I can think of a handful of "holes" in KI's lineup.

So can I

Giga- its obvious

Floorlees- I always felt like flooess coasters were sort of a gimic but almost every park has one or is getting one in some form or another

Modern Launched Coaster- Excluding puny BLSC, Kings Island hasn't received a launched coaster in over 20 years. I'd be up for something like Maverick or Helix coming in the future.

90°+ drop- Kings Island doesn't have a single coaster with a 90° drop or higher and that really bugs me. Maverick or Fahrenheit immediately come to mind.

Standup- I know they're getting purged like crazy in the industry but there's a lot of GP that still miss King Cobra; perhaps because it was gone too soon for it to be hated. Nevertheless, I'd tolerate and welcome a short stand-up coaster like Georgia Scorcher to the lineup. 

Other than that I think all holes are filled.

^Stand ups aren't holes for any park.  They're slowly going to become extinct.  GA Scorcher was the last one built and CF is converting the ones they have.  SFGAdv and SFMM have both floorless and stand up coasters, though, I think they could always go with a standard sit down conversion, perhaps with on-board sound equipment. 

• Like 1

^ I love that model there buddy. I hope whatever type of B&M model it is, the track is green. Green is my favorite color and I know this statement is irrelevant here.

Getting back to the GIGA topic here, does Kings Island or the city of Mason have a height limit of how they could build this proposed GIGA?

• Like 1