The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

Here's why I think, aesthetically, it would make more sense to put a Giga at X-Base/Coney, over Action Zone: the view; both of the park, and from the coaster. 

Putting a huge coaster at the front of the park would really dominate the skyline, in a negative way, in my opinion.

Also, from the ride, what would there be to see? The parking lot! Great Wolf Lodge! The greenhouses! The new dorms! 

Alternately, it could be set back into those gorgeous woods that surround Kings Island. Make use of the varied terrain. I know which I'd prefer.

I do realize that SoB was a huge coaster situated at the front of the park. I feel that location was one of many mistakes made in the planning of that coaster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I do realize that SoB was a huge coaster situated at the front of the park. I feel that location was one of many mistakes made in the planning of that coaster. 

I always thought SoB was in a great spot at the time. I do agree now, something that tall wouldn't look good that close to the front, with WindSeeker in the very back. 

• Like 2

The Firehawk location(or at least that corner of the park) makes the most sense from a logistics standpoint. You already have Banshee pulling guests to the Action Zone area. Diamondback, Beast, and MT pull guests to the right side of the park. There really isn't a whole lot to pull guests to the back left corner. You don't want the guests all crowded in one or two areas of the park. You want them spread out. That helps reduce lines for both rides and food vendors and increases sales. You are more likely to hop in a short line for food than if theres a long line. Not to mention all of those cash cow games up and down coney will get a boost from all the foot traffic. There is the dead end issue with Xbase, but Action Zone is larger dead end itself, and adding another marquis coaster wouldn't help that any. Theres also the possibility with Xbase of bringing a path around and tying it into the old DA entrance. That creates other issues that I've mentioned before, but if the dead end thing is really a big deal to them, they can do something about it. 

• Like 3

How about the GiGa starts out at Firehawk's current location, goes over in the trees, then goes along the CM midway (obviously behind The Racer), hugs AE and Banshee and has an impressive turn around in the woods between The Bat and Timberwolf?  Some sort of unique element that piques the interest from the parking lot, but the height is back in the woods?  This would be the granddaddy of all GiGaS.  Maybe even a fly through/barrel roll through the SOB station, similar to Thunderbird?

• Like 1

I have an idea too. You know what's strange is my idea involves using the Centurion name that Cedar Fair filed to use, but has yet to use it.  My idea would be for the new Giga coaster to use that name. Does that seem to fit the Kings Island lineup? I like the one guy's concept art with that green track on the last couple pages. I wonder what he thinks about using that name for a ride concept?

10 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I have an idea too. You know what's strange is my idea involves using the Centurion name that Cedar Fair filed to use, but has yet to use it. 

I feel like Carowinds is going to use that name if/when they convert their Vortex to a floorless coaster. They used it to throw everyone off before they announced Fury 325, similar to how KI did the same thing with The Bat to throw people off the Banshee trail

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 6:08 AM, Magenta Lizard said:

I agree. Also, the Eiffel Tower is the centerpiece of the park, I don’t think it would be esthetically appealing to upstage the tower with a coaster.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 10:16 PM, silver2005 said:

^Stand ups aren't holes for any park.  They're slowly going to become extinct.  GA Scorcher was the last one built and CF is converting the ones they have.  SFGAdv and SFMM have both floorless and stand up coasters, though, I think they could always go with a standard sit down conversion, perhaps with on-board sound equipment. 

I've never ridden a standup to really hate them so I guess I'll always consider them holes.

• Like 1

To my understanding, each giga is an evolution of the last- Fury essentially improved on the Leviathan design so I have no doubt that a KI giga would be an improvement of Fury 325. In terms of what they could do, I really want to see a 90 degree drop- Fury 325 is 81 degrees so I don't see how hard it is to increase the vertical angle to 90- then again I'm not an engineer. 

• Like 5

^^ Make it like B&M's take on Steel Vengeance's drop. How about make it 85 degrees and then the next coaster is a monstrous RMC with a 90 degree drop. But I wouldn't mind seeing a B&M giga with a 90 degree drop. Hopefully they don't pull a dive coaster and basically make the 90 degree drop the only good part of the ride where the ride is mediocre. 

• Like 3

I don't see them going for that mainly because steeper drops are shorter in length for the most part, and part of the appeal to B&M Gigas is their huge first drop that never ends. i305 has an almost vertical drop and it's nowhere near as long as Fury or MF etc.

edit: i305 from the top of the hill to the bottom of the drop is about 4 seconds, Fury is roughly 6-7. That's a big difference when your brain is on adrenaline.

Edited by JudeHoward
  • Like 4

Being that nothing in the park reaches over 315 feet tall, I don't necessarily think they'll top Fury. Cause what would it mean for the park to have a Giga that's taller than the centerpiece of the park. If they did it, it would have to be very tastefully done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JudeHoward said:

Being that nothing in the park reaches over 315 feet tall, I don't necessarily think they'll top Fury. Cause what would it mean for the park to have a Giga that's taller than the centerpiece of the park. If they did it, it would have to be very tastefully done.

Not to seem rude but I seriously doubt that many people would notice if the ride is 20 feet taller then the tower. Furthermore the ride wouldn’t be right next to the tower either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Honorarius said:

Intimidator 305 and Leviathan are both shorter than Millennium Force...

These were also built in a time when gigas just started to make a comeback. I305 was the first giga to be built in 10 years and its only five feet shorter than MF so I don't think it mattered to most people.

1 hour ago, JudeHoward said:

The upward pattern people see is based off 3 gigas. Two of which were only 305 and 306 feet tall. They only topped it with Fury. The other two are the shortest Gigas in the industry.

Leviathan was the first B&M giga built so I doubt Cedar Fair and B&M were trying to break any records on what many consider to be a prototype. I think the success of Leviathan gave B&M the greenlight to work with Cedar Fair on other giga projects allowing them to be more creative and more liberal with their design like what we saw with the debut of Fury 325. 

• Like 4