The Giga Speculation Thread

SonofBaconator

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It definitely wouldn't be Disney or Universal level. But if they do a sci fy themed giga, they should it right and have a nice themed queue. 

Name it Railgun and have the station be a big sci fi cannon thing with a launched lift hill coming out of it. Have a big LED lighting package on the track that follows the train up to the peak.

train gets launched at 60mph out of the station/cannon thing and coasts to the top of the hill where it crests the first drop at a sane speed

Or just do a normal lift hill and name it alien idc I just wanna go fast

• Like 1

I think we're gonna have it animal/fiction themed. Since 2014 Cedar Fair has added major coasters based on folklore and fiction like Banshee, Mystic Timbers, Rougarou, Valravn, GateKeeper, Copperhead Strike, etc. I still think we might get some Centurion teasing but I think it'll be something along the lines of Banshee and Mystic Timbers naming. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think we're gonna have it animal/fiction themed. Since 2014 Cedar Fair has added major coasters based on folklore and fiction like Banshee, Mystic Timbers, Rougarou, Valravn, GateKeeper, Copperhead Strike, etc. I still think we might get some Centurion teasing but I think it'll be something along the lines of Banshee and Mystic Timbers naming. 

I could throw Leviathan in there as well. 

• Like 1

In my personal opinion, it would make the most sense to build a Giga coaster in 2022, the parks 50th anniversary. Why? Because it makes sense that a Giga would be the best way to celebrate KI turning 50.

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

In terms of crowds I wonder how much a giga would draw on opening day in terms of enthusiast attendance. Does anyone know which opening day had the highest attendance?

I believe April of 2014. I was there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

My theory is because a lot of people have season passes so they can ride the ride whenever they want and put it off until another day.

I agree. I could see that as well. Could you imaging if it had the growth of say CP or Carowinds the attractions that may be here at Ki lol

17 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I agree. I could see that as well. Could you imaging if it had the growth of say CP or Carowinds the attractions that may be here at Ki lol

Its all about media coverage. Whenever Cedar Point gets a new coaster, its blasted across the US by the Today show or some other network.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Its all about media coverage. Whenever Cedar Point gets a new coaster, its blasted across the US by the Today show or some other network. 

True- Cedar Point does get tons of media coverage whenever they announce new coasters- though I recall when Banshee was announced, it was also all over the place. Though that may have been partially due to the fact Banshee replaced Son of Beast, one of the most infamous roller coasters ever built (thus making people extra curious as to what would replace it). Banshee's announcement was the #1 trending item on Facebook for a decent amount of time when it happened. And then of course came the 4 1/2 hour wait the day it opened, due to perfect weather combined with all the hype (and I waited in that line! It was insane).

Mystic Timbers also got a decent amount of hype behind it, though I'd say not as much as Banshee, probably because Mystic Timbers was not replacing something well-known (in fact we didn't lose anything big for MT, just a funnel cake stand that got re-located). Though MT also had the general media focusing on the 2016 Election so a new roller coaster being announced was small news in comparison.

I would say overall, Kings Island is one of the parks that can get media attention fairly easily. Not as much as Disney or even Cedar Point, but it can. And if Kings Island does add a 300+ foot Giga Coaster, well, that is going to get a lot of attention because Giga Coasters are GP Magnets due to their huge stats.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

For MT they did a passholder preview night and opening day. Pass preview brought in more people than opening day. if they do that for the giga, it would be the same thing as Mystic where more come pass preview than opening day.

I remember that night. I went after work and it was the most crowded I had ever seen the park. I waited about two and a half hours for Mystic and it was (mostly) worth it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

I would expect the crowds to be bigger then normal the first month or so then level off.  Ki doesn't really keep sustained growth after a major attraction.  I have no idea why but yeah.

Not to sound harsh, but how do you know that KI doesn`t really keep sustained growth after a major attraction?  Are you privy to their attendance numbers?  

Keep in mind that it was reported one one of the Cedar Fair conference calls, that season pass sales were down at KI this year compared to last year.  But last year they apparently had a record year for pass sales, which makes the comparison difficult.  I believe they said that while pass sales were down this year at KI, they were still one of the top years they have had.  

• Like 3

I believe it was talked about on here a lot. Just going off what I have read on here.  Speculation about CF paying attention to CP, Carowinds , Knotts and Wonderland. I guess I should of said compared to other CF parks.

Just being on here so long and I think the consensus was that KI attendance doesn't grow as much as other parks that add coasters.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 12:31 PM, flightoffear1996 said:

I think Mystic Timbers got to a 3 hour line so I would think the giga would maybe get to around 4 hours.  Just a wild guess though.

Talking with some ride ops, it peaked at 4 hours.  We were towards the front that day and it was 45 minutes for us.  After we got off, I saw the line and said heck no to another reride that night.  At least KI lets those in line still ride after the park closes.  I think the last ride went out around 1AM

• Like 2